Shadow Jack (Alpha Demo)

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Ceilick
The Dude

Shadow Jack (Alpha Demo)

Post by Ceilick »

For Keenday, 2014:

My Keen 1 mod demo that's about two years old now and has nothing to do with Commander Keen. I haven't worked on it in quite a while but intend to after or between work on SOTV. The eventuality this is intended to become will be a mod with levels the player can return to and play differently based on accomplishments in other levels. Level to level interaction linked by the world map.

Download ShadowJack-Alpha1.0

This demo doesn't really show any of that off though and mostly demonstrates the patching features which are heavily inspired by Flaose's Bad Carma(ck), Keenrush's Fall Up. Huge thanks to Dr. Kylstein for hammering out some serious patching just for this mod, and also Keenrush, Lemm, and Levellass. Plenty of patches borrowed from Flaose and Commander Spleen too.

Anyway, have fun :)
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Ohhhh wow. This really knocks my socks off. Unreal. Super excited for the next release!

Decided to flick on the record button the moment I started up the mod:
http://youtu.be/RtVhCUBG0dM
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

It's kind of like Fall Up with less head explosions.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Heh, this is neat. The feel of the levels are great. Complexity obviously isn't as high as it could be, but that might not be what you're going for and this is only the alpha after all.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

troublesomekeen wrote:Ohhhh wow. This really knocks my socks off. Unreal. Super excited for the next release!

Decided to flick on the record button the moment I started up the mod:
http://youtu.be/RtVhCUBG0dM
And this is why everyone likes you, TSK.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Captainkeen
Vortininja

Post by Captainkeen »

pretty cool. It gets my vote for best keenday release 2014. I actualy kind of like that it's not as hard as fall up. needing charges to "pogo" is very cool and works well. I do think it should get harder later on in the mod but these levels are good to introduce the abilities to find out how they work. Why no enemies? Did you simply not make them yet or do you intent to keep them out?
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

If you're planning to work on this, I'll wait for the final version instead.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

This Keen Day turned out great! All these crazy ideas and concepts, experiments -- Keen mod(der)s rule. This is so sleek. So many clever ideas for altering gameplay. It's great to see your modding treatment of the Vorticons again. Can't wait the full.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

I do think it should get harder later on in the mod but these levels are good to introduce the abilities to find out how they work.
If you're planning to work on this, I'll wait for the final version instead.
I really should have clarified that these 5 levels, as they exist in this demo, will not be in the final game. Levels 1-4 each show off one or two features of the mod and the 5th level is kind of a conglomeration of these features. All only for testing. The final game will have introduction levels similar (better) than what's seen here.
Why no enemies? Did you simply not make them yet or do you intent to keep them out?
Nothing made yet. I do intend to have them, but I haven't designed any or looked into patching options for enemy behaviors. I feel the default enemy behaviours are by and large unsuitable for the kind of gameplay I'm looking for, and I also have to factor in that the gravity modifier in the aethereal state also affects enemies.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Looks fantastic!!! I've always wanted to see that Duke Nukum style block-shooting mechanic in Keen, so well done on that. As was pointed out earlier, this mod has strong elements of Fall Up, but with something darker, more mysterious, dare I say it more Spleenish about it. Looking forward to the final thing!! Hurrah for Vorticons modding!! (On another note, I can't wait for Vool either!).
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

This is some really impressive stuff. I really like what you've done with a live God-mode item (still haven't figured out how you did that), points as a key(!), and somehow using a tile to end the game (though of course that also has the potential to be incredibly frustrating).
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

I just realized how much this reminds me of that Sudden Dusk mod I never finished. (Mostly just the black silhouette, shootable blocks, and vague spookiness and whatnot.)

I don't get the Fall Up comparisons... I guess because of the puzzles?

Anyway, good play. I'm glad you released this.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I hope to see some explanation for the patches behind this.

I managed to get stuck in no less than 17 different locations and had to quit the levels. I fear it is too unkeenish for me.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.