Bee Mod Idea

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Plasma Captain wrote:Also, I too fell for the old "The Perilous Pit is a giant dome mudhouse" misconception.
Until about the time I found this community, I had always thought it was a giant beehive!
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

Great. Now I have in my mind the idea of making art with it as an actual beehive with him standing in front of it for scale. Sometimes it's too many ideas, too little time. Other times it's too much time and too few ideas.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

We must make the beehive mod. Make a beehive in-level tileset and turn the perilous pit into a giant beehive. With bees and bigger bees replacing the skypests and blue birds.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:We must make the beehive mod. Make a beehive in-level tileset and turn the perilous pit into a giant beehive. With bees and bigger bees replacing the skypests and blue birds.
*dies happy* this would be so much epicness!
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Plasma Captain
Vorticon Elite

Post by Plasma Captain »

This sounds like a better idea for a full blown mod. Lots of flying enemies. Keen versus the Space Bees.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Don't forget inchworms replaced with larvae. ;)

And collectiable jars of honey everywhere. :british

I think the idea has great potential. We've had like at least two mods with a cheese theme. Bee mod would be cool. If it's made I can bee in the team. :dopekeen

Edit: This is just me but I think it would be cool to make the mod without patching the enemies, at least not much, just replacing them as creatively as we can.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

KeenRush wrote:Don't forget inchworms replaced with larvae. ;)

And collectiable jars of honey everywhere. :british

I think the idea has great potential. We've had like at least two mods with a cheese theme. Bee mod would be cool. If it's made I can bee in the team. :dopekeen

Edit: This is just me but I think it would be cool to make the mod without patching the enemies, at least not much, just replacing them as creatively as we can.
I can imagine Keen crawling through small hexagon shaped doors instead of the standard rectangle background doorways. Only problem is the color pallet is lacking orange.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Speaking of hexagons, I actually have been thinking about making such tileset. Some progress was made... But it gets too complicate.

Last edited by Roobar on Mon Apr 07, 2014 22:00, edited 1 time in total.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

That's such a cool idea! I visualized only textures but of course the entire ground could be made of hexagons. (Maybe not all areas, but many.) This mod's almost making itself. :)

Idea for replacing the collectable water drops: nectar
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

The trick with anything this narrowly themed is coming up with an interesting variety of enemies ("look, a couple dozen types of bee!") Like we could have some kind of space aphid, space wasps that hunt and eat space bees and Keen also, some sort of alien race(s) that harvest honey from the bees, are enslaved by the bees, live symbiotically with the bees, etc. Obviously we do need bee varieties, like workers, soldiers, supersoldiers, cybersoldiers, drones (are male space bees defenseless too?) and of course a superpowered queen or two.

I don't doubt the creativity of the community in idea-generating for this and am sure folks will come up with cooler, more specific ideas than these.

EDIT: I sense yet another split from this thread... /backseatmodding
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

StupidBunny wrote:I don't doubt the creativity of the community in idea-generating for this and am sure folks will come up with cooler, more specific ideas than these.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

KeenRush wrote:
StupidBunny wrote:I don't doubt the creativity of the community in idea-generating for this and am sure folks will come up with cooler, more specific ideas than these.
:lol

That should be used no matter what!
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
T-Squared
Vortininja

Post by T-Squared »

This is making me think of the Beehive Level of Super Mario Land 2.
Cosmo II: HUMANIZED!!! Progress:
Graphics: 15% Complete
Story: 100% Complete
Music: 5% Complete
Programming Modifications: 5% Complete (FINALLY! SOME PROGRESS!)

http://www.tsqproductions.com
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I think Dopebee needs to be more of a queen; big big bee, tiny tiny wings.

can imagine Keen crawling through small hexagon shaped doors instead of the standard rectangle background doorways. Only problem is the color pallet is lacking orange.
We can in fact change the color palette of Keen Galaxy now. I suggest making purple into orange, maybe pink too.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

My attempt at honeycomb platforms:

"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass