I made a mod - Keen episode 59: Underworld Ultimate!

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

My game crashed on hard mode in the level where you first encounter the spam wizards. Error in spriteloading, iirc.

For the potions, the way it is now will need the F1 file to say something along the lines of "these amount of potions and only those".

Another solution would probably to have more of the talking guys around the map, except each one turns a specific set of things into an item. This allows both the ability to not throw everything away, as well as being able to see what each thing gets so you know what to hunt.

Regarding the recipes themselves, it would be great if those could be released.
I could probably dig through the K59 patch to see what turns into what, but at that point, they might as well be released.

10 White = 1UP
10 Blue = 30 ammo
5 Blue 5 White 5 Purple = 30000 points
4 Blue 6 Purple = Keys
15 Blue 2 Purple = death
[spoiler] = Plush toy
15 Blue 15 White 15 Purple = nothing
[spoiler] = [spoiler]

Also, the black bug-eyed thing doesn't want to get stunned.
Bullets just pass through it, unless I'm supposed to jump a bit and shoot it in the eyes...
StupidBunny wrote:
kuliwil wrote:I wish that oa;fdjgnae;ogubneaogiearh;igbnerfgoajfsgoefnh
Granted. You have just had a severe stroke.
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

syllyrpride- theres probly some error then cause you should *have* to go to Drea twice in order to finish the game. did you noclip through level 1 on the map? cause that would cause the Kreeg Base to be there.
yeah you can't kill those at all, they wander back and forth and all you can do is jump over them. har har. i make enemies hard because i hate all peoples.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Bernie wrote:syllyrpride- theres probly some error then cause you should *have* to go to Drea twice in order to finish the game. did you noclip through level 1 on the map? cause that would cause the Kreeg Base to be there.
yeah you can't kill those at all, they wander back and forth and all you can do is jump over them. har har. i make enemies hard because i hate all peoples.
So what you are saying is completing the second Drea's Domain uncloaks the Kreeg Base? There must have been an error somewhere. I completed level 1 legitimately, plus completed Tunnel Network, Cave of Secrets, Cave of Illusions, Understream, Crystal Wonderland!, Great Seal the first Drea's Domain, and then paid the gnome 250,000 to extend the bridge. Once I crossed the bridge the Kreeg Base was there. When I went back to where I am in the current game it showed level 1 as not completed. But when I went back to previous saves before the second Drea's Domain it shows level 1 as completed. Plus as I said with the Second Drea's Domain it took away one of my Golden Booze Bottles.

All level I completed were completed legitimately, so I do not understand what is going wrong.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

Bernie wrote:
In that case, the first level that you encounter the heat tower thing is either impossible to complete, or will take a long time for the bug to move over to the left/right side enough to squeeze through.

May need another tile on each side, or to shrink the ceiling by a tile there.
StupidBunny wrote:
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

gah, too many errors. i think i'll just give up :D so much easier.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Thank you Bernie for continuing with this trilogy. It's amazing!
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Bernie wrote:gah, too many errors. i think i'll just give up :D so much easier.
That may be, but it is my new favorite mod. Nothing is perfect.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

hey cool, thanks ;) well im not making the third one so enjoy it!

syllypryde- i had a bit of a quick play of the mod earlier and i didnt have a problem with the Kreeg Base appearing ealier than it should. i dont understand whats going on with your game :/ im scared.
i wonder if anyone else has that same problem as yours.
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

Wait... it's still a trilogy?

There's one more?!

I thought the end screen meant that... you know...

But uh :drool
StupidBunny wrote:
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

na. i was meaning to put a '...' after the 'The End' text, like in Keen58, but never got around to it. besides, the story is unfinished.

some features the third one will have include a 3d engine, .mp3 music, unlimited memory, unlimited colours, and gold dabloons will pour out of your floppy drive slot.

na, jokes ;) but it *will* include some amazing things.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Bernie wrote:
hey cool, thanks ;) well im not making the third one so enjoy it!

syllypryde- i had a bit of a quick play of the mod earlier and i didnt have a problem with the Kreeg Base appearing ealier than it should. i dont understand whats going on with your game :/ im scared.
i wonder if anyone else has that same problem as yours.
Maybe I should wipe the game off, re-install it and play it again from scratch. Maybe it was all the cheat codes I was messing with before I choose to beat the game legitimately that might have corrupted the game.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

well maybe just delete the CONFIG.CK4 file and try it again.

even if that does somehow fix it, it still means theres a problem in my patch coding somewhere.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Phew, so. I finally managed to complete the game...err...mod. I'd rather call it a game, 'cause I've never seen a Keen mod so different from the vanilla game. And that's a good thing!

Here's my short review of some aspects of the game:

[WARNING : SPOILERS]

- About the story: It's incredible what you can do with so little space - you only have a short introduction in the Help menu, and the ending - the game itself doesn't offer any dialogs or anything. Despite these deficiencies, I felt the story was one of the best parts in episode 59. Music played a big part in conveying the atmosphere...like when meeting Drae. And I'm still touched by the ending.

- I liked the new sound effects, they sound refined and fit really well.

- I read someone critisising the music - that's a valid opinion, since it's mostly a matter of taste, yet I have to disagree - I think the music is amazing! It sets the mood of each level really well! The first level track is happy and curious, the Cave of Secrets theme is really mysterious and haunting, and the alt. world map and the Base Gateway themes are very dark and ominous. The boss theme has an excellent sense of culmination in it, perfectly reflecting the last obstacle in Keen's adventure. Last but not least, the Drae/Ending music is really touching, the sadness and desperation was tangible while reading the ending :( Only the track that plays in the Understream and couple of other levels gets a bit on the nerve if it plays long enough.

- Astounding art! Like the contrast between the ruined and the rich in Roib, the Kreeg base really stood out from any other level in the mod. I was really surprised and even a bit frigthened when first entering the Base Gateway :o I felt a lot of the cave levels might look a bit repetive, I was expecting to find something like a forest of glowing mushrooms. At least the Temple ruins brought a bit a nice variation.

- The enemies are really well drawn and patched. The biggest flaw with enemies were the Kreeg footsoldiers, who could instantly kill you without a warning. A firing delay, if possible, would be apt here. I lost my nerves at the Kreegs oh so many times.

- I only discovered by accident how to defeat the Boss - maybe a hint somewhere would be appropriate.

All in all, a great mod, a great game, a great team(?) behind it! Thank you, all of you, for making something as grandiose as this on a 23 year old game! :D
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

hey thanks a lot grimson. its still full of little errors though, here and there. maybe one day ill be bothered to fix it.
grimson wrote:Only the track that plays in the Understream and couple of other levels gets a bit on the nerve if it plays long enough.
yeah i agree. the problem is that i had such a hard time with the music when i made Keen 58 so i really consciously put in music that was small and short (thus repetitive).
grimson wrote:The biggest flaw with enemies were the Kreeg footsoldiers, who could instantly kill you without a warning. A firing delay, if possible, would be apt here.
hey thats not a bad idea actually. thanks. i might steal it ;)
grimson wrote:All in all, a great mod, a great game, a great team(?) behind it!
na it was just me who worked on it ;) im a genius. im not even sure if i should've put Levellass's name at the intro cause i barely asked her for help. but then again she helped me a lot in general in the past so, meh.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Having fun developing stuff...