The PCKF Archive

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Grandy02
Vortininja

The PCKF Archive

Post by Grandy02 »

EDIT: Finally, the PCKF Archive has opened! Click here:
http://archive.shikadi.net/pckf/

---

Hello, long time no see...

As you have probably noticed, the old PCKF (when it was still at ezBoard) is not available in the Wayback Archive anymore. This is because ezBoard did actually disallow the Wayback Archive to archive their site all the time. However, such blocks did originally not affect subdomains, and since basically every forum at ezBoard used a subdomain (e.g. p128.ezboard.com), the PCKF was still archived.

However, this has changed with the new version of the Wayback Archive. Now blocks also go for any subdomain of a blocked site, meaning that countless pages in the Wayback Archive have become unavailable from one day to another, including the whole ezBoard incarnation of the PCKF with its thousands of topics.

The good news is that not everything lost - before the old Archive was taken down, I had saved hundreds of topics which collect dust on my hard drive since then. There are a lot of minor/random topics among those, but I'm sure that at least some of them are significant for the community's history and/or entertaining.

Malvineous already offered me webspace to put them online (of course they have yet to be sorted, currently it's just a mess). But before I do so, I'd like to know if there have been any other effortss of archiving by you. All I know are Xtraverse's little archive and Snortimer's InsideTheWeb archive, are there any more?

Of course, it would be much better if ezBoard (or yuku as their site is called now) simply lifted the block (in case the Archive hasn't already deleted everything for good). As they tolerated the archiving of millions of pages for years (which was especially useful after the attack on ezBoard in 2005), maybe they would do so? For contacting them, you have to make use of a ticket system. Has anybody an account there? If yes, it would be nice if someone could ask them about this. One would also have to give reasons, like how ezBoard was the place where many people made their first experiences with Internet communities, that it takes an important part in the history of web communites that should be archived, and of course how useful the Wayback Archive has been for ezBoard users since the great loss in May 2005. However, the yuku domain is also not archived, though it's "only" due to robots.txt rather than an actual block.
PCKF Archive - The Keen Community's Past (and Present) | grandy02.shikadi.net
Grandy02
Vortininja

Post by Grandy02 »

As promised, the PCKF Archive has finally opened with six entertaining topics of the past! More topics will be added bit by bit. Click here:
http://archive.shikadi.net/pckf/

You can read about the release of two of the earliest mods and the Shadowlands cartoons (including complete script of the unfinished 3rd episode), among other things. The topic "Keen Cartoons" is also really entertaining, featuring some of TMST's earliest posts, but don't miss Xky's ones there, either. Have fun! :)

But still, it would be nice if someone with a yuku account could ask yuku/ezBoard about the block issue. It's at least worth a try.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

This looks fun, I hope some more stuff turns up over time.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Grandy02
Vortininja

Post by Grandy02 »

Thanks, I'm glad you like it. :) I made the first update today, more to come.
Snortimer
Vortininja

Post by Snortimer »

This is pretty fun. :)
I wonder if you could include a mention/link to my InsideTheWeb archive as well, somewhere on the page - or perhaps even add it directly so that it's browsable?

It's organized in a pretty simple way: You've got the "main forum page" html files in the main directory, and links to the topics/replies on those forums in the folders with the same name. All you'd need to do is link A to B so that the links go where they're supposed to.

Some of the InsideTheWeb logos/images that would've been on the forums are also included in the main folder.
Member since at least 1998 with... ah... some long absences. I was even a moderator at one point. I'll probably keep coming back here and there as long as this place still exists.
Grandy02
Vortininja

Post by Grandy02 »

@Snortimer: Sorry, haven't read your post until now! Thanks, nice to read that you like it. Yeah, including the InsideTheWeb forums is a great idea! However, the download link in your topic doesn't work anymore. Could you reupload it somewhere, please? :)

Some of you may have noticed that the ezBoard PCKF is available again in the Wayback Machine since about half a year (links included on the PCKF Archive's main page). That it disappeared was the main reason for the archive's creation. But it's still useful, as WM's archived pages alone won't give you an easy-to-use navigation.
So I'll continue to add more interesting topics to the table and expand it bit by bit. But from now, I'll simply add links to the Wayback Machine rather than editing my saved ones, as it is much less time-consuming (first ones done today). And I'll be able to update it much more often, too.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Who the fucl are VolteFace, Hanno Engberts and Jonzi? These prehistoric lurkers need to come back! :old
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Funny. A lot of the topics are re-introduced in the new forum from different users.
Levack
Vortininja

Post by Levack »

That TUIT art is epic!
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Ah, there's nothing like reading some decade+-old arguments: http://dosclassics.com/old/pckf/Ideas%2 ... rd_com.htm KeenRush was a little mean back in the day! :p

Levack, where was the art you're referring to?

Also, Fleexy, if you read this, how old were you when you joined the forum?! You have posts from at least as early as 2004 on here and you're younger than me! (I assume "0 UNFLEEXABLE 0" is you.)
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Grandy02
Vortininja

Post by Grandy02 »

Keening_Product wrote:Levack, where was the art you're referring to?
I guess he's reffering to this one, posted here by good ol' TMST.
Keening_Product wrote:Also, Fleexy, if you read this, how old were you when you joined the forum?! You have posts from at least as early as 2004 on here and you're younger than me! (I assume "0 UNFLEEXABLE 0" is you.)
This was already discussed back in 2007 when Fleexy joined. They're two different guys. UnFleexable is now known as Sillygostly, but he hasn't written much on the current board.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Fleexy child-prodigy. :potter

I'll be staring at this piece of art for a while. Can't make all the creatures out around the Mad Mushroom and the Dopefish's eyes.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Grandy02 wrote:I guess he's reffering to this one, posted here by good ol' TMST.
Thanks :) I recall seeing that one a while back, it's still great ha. I'm going to have to see if I can find that Geocities site in one of the archives, though that might be a lot of work ha.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Plasma Captain
Vorticon Elite

Post by Plasma Captain »

Grandy02 wrote:
Keening_Product wrote:Levack, where was the art you're referring to?
I guess he's reffering to this one, posted here by good ol' TMST.
Wow, I haven't seen that in forever. Was that posted on a fansite at some point? Because I am almost certain that I never saw that old board.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Keening_Product wrote:KeenRush was a little mean back in the day! :p
Yeah, and now I remember how hyperactive he was back then. He was really in a "rush" mode of sort :P.