Commander Keen on Android devices?

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
SupFanat
Vortininja

Commander Keen on Android devices?

Post by SupFanat »

Is there any way to properly run Commander Keen on some Android device? Virtual touchscreen keyboard isn't usable but would it work with some external (physical) keyboard? Impossible pogo trick should also be working, otherwise the game isn't really usable.

PS. The free DOS emulator aDosBox seems to be unusable. It is so bad that it even completely ignores the keyboard input (I tried in on Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini). But the paid AnDosBox is much better.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

I recently acquired a Motorola droid 1 that works fine with aDosBox (using on screen controls AND the built in keyboard) I can do the pogo trick and it plays decently, although it slows on occasion.

Sadly, cGenius fails to run properly for some reason (shows splash, lets me edit some settings, dies.) and I don't use apps that you have to pay for so I don't know about AnDosBox.
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

It should be possible to pair a bluetooth keyboard and play that way, though I don't see the point in doing that when you have such a small screen.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

What about DosBox Turbo? Wasn't there something like that? *shrugs*
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

I have no trouble using Commander Genius. But that's on a Galaxy Tab 2.

Edit:
Forgot to add that my bluetooth keyboard works well with it also.
Last edited by guynietoren on Thu Feb 12, 2015 13:10, edited 1 time in total.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

CG worked beautifully on the worst phone of all time: the original Huawei Honor. (U8860, I think.)

SupFanat, are you saying the impossible pogo should be working and isn't, or just isn't built into the apps?
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
SupFanat
Vortininja

Post by SupFanat »

I'm saying that impossible pogo trick needs to be working in order to say that "the emulation runs properly" but in the reality it wouldn't work with virtual keyboard so I have to say that "the emulation is unusable".

But maybe that impossible pogo trick would work with physical keyboard even on Android devices.

Using android-x86, normal x86 computer may be converted to "Android device" as well. I don't know though if the right mouse button is going to work properly (it makes no sense to make the right mouse button acting just like left mouse button).
Levack
Vortininja

Post by Levack »

aDosbox works for me with a keyboard.Lost Crown of queen Anne runs fine.

The onscreen controls don't work properly, for me and just crashes dos box. Also can't leave the app or it crashes.

That's why I use CG, even though I can only play using v 0.4.11, wish I could get ahold of v 1.7.3. Hopefully gerstrong will have the crash issues fixed with the next update. (Also hoping for dosfusion!)