A mod

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Levellass
S-Triazine

A mod

Post by Levellass »

Well, according to VBB anyway. Unless it's bad, in which case it'll just be fanfiction. Here goes:

FREEDOM

May this story be passed down from parent to child for all time. Know that there was a time when we were not free. Many of us thought we were of course, oh such foolishness! But we were trapped, enslaved to our own petty squabbles and arguments. bands of our kind fought against their brothers for small patches of dirt and the resources contained therein. We thought nothing of the stars, we knew not of the galaxy, the universe and the grand war for its freedom.

We had barely mastered the art of flight when the Mothership first appeared in the sky. As long as a city, hovering above the clouds in the same way a rock doesn't. From the mothership came the Pods, and from them the Enlightened. We stared in awe as they poured forth with their lasers and their machines. Some of the old governments tried to resist, but it was as pointless as a puddle resisting the sun. Within a week they were crushed, blasted from the above by precisely aimed rocks. Them, their families and all who were foolish enough to stand with them.

It was then the Enlightened explained their true purpose to us. Like us they too had once been consumed by their own petty squabbles and limited minds. Once they had been planet-bound, scuttling around in the dirt like bugs. Once they had been Vorticons but now they were free. They explained that a great and benevolent being, The Grand Intellect had endowed them with incredible knowledge and power as part of his quest to bring the entire universe to perfection. And now it was our privilege to share in this noble design and to have the honor of being the second race to be Enlightened, to be freed from the tyranny of ourselves.

And so the Vorticons gave us the belts. Some resisted of course, because that is the nature of slavery, but they were made to see the errors of their ways and soon, for the first time in our long and troubled history, we were united, a world as one. We gloried in the newfound peace and knowledge that assailed us. We learned of a billion, billion stars, the Milky Way, the trillion galaxies that made the universe and The Grand Intellect, Master of all who sought to improve it. We despaired at the thought a millions of races that were now as ignorant and benighted as we had just been, trapped by their limited intellects and stunted perspectives. We wondered how we, one planet among many, could do *anything* to help so many.

But help we would. For The Grand Intellect was with us. Under his guidance we set to work building, ever building, constructing the massive machines that would be needed to bring Enlightenment to yet more planets. This necessitated the conversion of much of our planet's previously underutilized landmass. Forests were leveled, deserts pushed aside, mountains flattened. The air filled with smoke and the seas with plastic, but the sacrifice was worth it, we were at war with stupidity itself. From these seeds that we sowed the salvation of the universe would spring.

The came the Defender.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

"The came the Defender?"

Lines like that happen when, as internet reviewers of fanfics say, you don't use a beta reader.

Pretty good rewrite of the Heretic manual opening, otherwise.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:"The came the Defender?"

Lines like that happen when, as internet reviewers of fanfics say, you don't use a beta reader.

Pretty good rewrite of the Heretic manual opening, otherwise.
You mean this might be only fanfic-quality?

(Frankly I was thinking of doing something My Immortal level but I don't think I could pull that off.) I have actually made a purposeful point of not even reading this after I type it, just to see what kind of nonsense will get through. (Great art it ain't.) Anyway, here's another bit of this brain-fart (How long can she post a 'chapter' a day? I give myself three days, tops.):

The Defender's arrival was not spectacular, we never even noticed the ship that bought him to our world. Not until the Mothership burned like the sun and crashed into one of our cities. The crater remains to this day. Next the defender's attention turned to the Vorticon that remained with us. One by one they were hunted down and destroyed, them and those who stood with them. We fought bravely, boldly, but in the end in vain. The Defender attacked with fury and intelligence and unstoppable persistance. It was only when the great towers that powered our belts finally crumbled into dust that we realized.

Only now were we free; The Grand Intellect had promised us freedom, but it was a lie. The knowledge and power we had gained had been tempered with silver chains of obedience. Without even knowing we had been enslaved to a proud and merciless warlord, one who would tear apart the galaxy for no reason other than his own hubris. That was why the Defender had done what he had, why he had to destroy our cities and smash our factories. Why he had to gun down the innocent.

We wept in horror and betrayal at the terrible things we had been tricked into doing; unknowingly we'd furthered the machiantions of a madman. But the Defender was merciful, he understood we were not to know what we were doing. And so we were allowed to live, those of us that survived his wrath. There was a great celebration across our world as for the first tie our race could join with the many who traveled the stars. Our future was bright; we would be welcomed into the galactic community to exchange knowledge and art and culture, to enrich ourselves and the universe as a whole.

Then came the Shikadi.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

How is this a mod concept? Who are we playing as?
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I do believe you said that mods weren't fanfiction as they were to good. Ergo if this is good enough it'll qualify as a mod.

The Shikadi ships shimmered like iridescence given form; they moved through the air silently,casting a flickering glow over the world. We watched them land in awe, ships a thousand feet tall landing like feathers, barely ruffling the grass. Then the Shikadi stepped forth and shared their vision with us.

The Defender was indeed formidable, but he was also limited, blinkered. Their leader, The Gannalech had a much bolder, broader vision. True change could not be achieved by increments, slithering along one planet at a time. No, instead it must be all consuming, changing the nature of the galaxy itself. The Shikadi spoke of a wondrous Machine that would sweep away the weak and imperfect nature of light matter, replacing it with the pure and ethereal dark matter that even now surrounded us though we did not see it.

All the stars and planets and peoples and creeds of the galaxy would be swept up in the change, ascended into pure incorruptibility. And so it was once again we set to work, using the new technologies and methods we had acquired from our ever-so-brief contact with the rest of the galaxy to turn our planet itself into a gigantic factory with one purpose in mind, the creation of The Machine. For while they had the parts, some assembly was required, and the power sources needed to be created from scratch.

Some protested, they argued that we should focus on repairing our damaged world, not on converting it further. They were silenced. What concern was our planet to us now, when soon all would be swept away? It was not long before all of our landmasses were converted into factories, six stories deep. The oceans themselves were mined for the deuterium needed to fuel the device. Many died working tirelessly to make this dream a reality, but there was no time for mourning; all to soon our work was done, The Machine glittered high above our world as it slowly departed for the optimal location from which to power up and initiate the great change. Those of us who remained cheered as we watched it fade into nothing and waited expectantly for the blinding wave of energy to come.

And waited, and waited...
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Do you mind if I post this on fanfiction.net when you're done? It might be time to brush off that dusty unused account.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:Do you mind if I post this on fanfiction.net when you're done? It might be time to brush off that dusty unused account.
You have a fanfiction.net account? Care to share? :disguised
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

Well, the Goplats sure are in a bad spot...
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

MoffD wrote:
VikingBoyBilly wrote:Do you mind if I post this on fanfiction.net when you're done? It might be time to brush off that dusty unused account.
You have a fanfiction.net account? Care to share? :disguised
I only wrote two fics. A Hotel Mario one-shot and the first chapter of an ed edd n eddy fic.