Optical storage media is dead

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
SupFanat
Vortininja

Optical storage media is dead

Post by SupFanat »

Sorry but it's really so.
Even the biggest Blu-Ray is tiny! 25 GB isn't much.

Imagine, a terabyte evenly distributed throughout the year is just 31 kilobytes per second. Even just one MB per second multiplied by one year needs 31.557.600.000.000 bytes or almost 32 terabytes!
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

25 GB isn't much? :confused

I mean, I know it doesn't come close to scraping the gargantuan size of 1 or 2 terabyte drives, but seriously, I don't think I'd ever use that much space.

And you're forgetting the most important thing: the entertainment industry needs to capitalize on giving you the smallest bang for your buck so they'll never store an entire video game's worth of music on a CD! It's just business sense, you know.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

A lifechanging game once fit on a 720kb diskette. With room to spare for 'goodies' and 'utilities'.

Could it be that humanity has gone about data, processing power and use of computing the wrong way in recent decades?
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Benvolio wrote: Could it be that humanity has gone about data, processing power and use of computing the wrong way in recent decades?
Yes

I can't see why you would think that SupFanat, I use at least 3 cds each week. CDs mind, not even dvds. I guess you mean more obsolete instead of dead?

In addition, I have had the opportunity on several occasions to help people grab data off their floppies which certain unnamed parties were still using as their only portable storage media. Although, I guess the whole thing is highly dependent on where you live...
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
SupFanat
Vortininja

Post by SupFanat »

The goal of computer storage media is overcoming the capacity of human brain.
By using as little space as possible you won't be able to do so.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

SupFanat wrote:The goal of computer storage media is overcoming the capacity of human brain.
By using as little space as possible you won't be able to do so.
Are you hinting at how it's possible for people to be so stupid?
SupFanat
Vortininja

Post by SupFanat »

You're saying that humans get more stupid if the computer memory manages to hold more memories that human memories?
It's the same as declaring red hot lava "so cold" because the surface of Sun is even hotter.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

No, I said (well, you said it) that the human brain wastes space by using more than what's needed by not compressing the information down to the smallest possible storage units.
SupFanat
Vortininja

Post by SupFanat »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:No, I said (well, you said it) that the human brain wastes space by using more than what's needed by not compressing the information down to the smallest possible storage units.
That's OK. How many storage place is minimally needed to record all your visual experience about a trip between London and Edinburgh?
The distance is 411 miles (or 661 kilometers if you're more comfortable with kilometers. I prefer to be comfortable with both kinds of units - metric and non-metric). 300 KB per foot (1 MB per meter) means 1,6 GB per mile (1 GB per kilometer). So how much storage would you need? 661 GB! Would you never like to travel such distance with all your memories recorded?
SupFanat
Vortininja

Do you want to get even more ideas for Hi-Tech from me?

Post by SupFanat »

I hate gaps in the documentation so much that I think it would be right to take pictures of the weather on given day from 00:00 to 23:59 from a steeple of the hightest tower in the city and make it available for us to download as soon as the pictures are combined to usable timelapse. My thought is that it's illegal. Why? Because if something is too good, our evil world would try to prevent it, for example by declaring it illegal or damaging it.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Do you know how many posts it would take someone to say that? Two

:P
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Meanwhile floppy disks are finding ways to compress it all into one post! 8)
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

SupFanat is a robot.
SupFanat
Vortininja

Post by SupFanat »

wiivn wrote:SupFanat is a robot.
How do you know that I'm robot?
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

Yeah, but optical storage media is cheaper than disk drives, and it doesn't have any moving parts.

Also, Sony announced a 1 TB "Archive disc." It's supposed to arrive in a couple months.

http://www.dailytech.com/Sony+Panasonic ... e34478.htm