Optical storage media is dead

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
SupFanat
Vortininja

Post by SupFanat »

lemm wrote:Yeah, but optical storage media is cheaper than disk drives, and it doesn't have any moving parts.
Yes, the single disc is simpler as HDD (hard disk drive) but the optical drive has these moving parts. And, more interesting, even rotation is a motion. Unlike linear motion it's absolute motion (not related to some another body).

Even more fascinating thing - the linear rotation speed is said to be comparable with the speed of car on a motorway. If the HDD rotates 90 km/h, it just needs 446 hours (less than 19 days) to travel the circumference of Earth (40.075 kilometers). The comparison between small HDD and huge planet is unbelievable.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Earth does not have a circumference. You know those mountain thingies and ocean fissures? They prevent the earth from being perfectly round.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
candyjack
Vortininja

Post by candyjack »

The thing is that there are still a lot of films that are only available on DVD. Just the other week I bought one, because I couldn't find the film even on private trackers. None of my PCs have a DVD drive anymore, so I actually had to lend my mom's laptop to watch it.
VikingBoyBilly wrote:Earth does not have a circumference. You know those mountain thingies and ocean fissures? They prevent the earth from being perfectly round.
But it does have an average circumference, which is probably what that number denotes.
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x].
SupFanat
Vortininja

Post by SupFanat »

Again, I hate gaps so weather timelapse from 00:00 to 23:59 is a good idea. Try to photograph weather phenomena. You'd get tired but nevertheless still have many gaps. Timelapse from 00:00 to 23:59 from the highest tower could give you more efficiency with much less manual job. Since such things exist (though not as good as I'd like them to be) it could give you complete overview of the entire daily weather in your city (and other cities as well) without having to do manual job. You won't be able to "miss" sunrise or sunset if the progress goes as far. I'd prefer to subscribe such website (even if it costs something) and download daily timelapses as much as I want. Since the weather is on plain view (or is it obscured by something to keep it secret?) it shouldn't have very much expectation of privacy.

It's even possible to make the timelapse spherical to ensure that absolutely every weather phenomena is captured. Moreover, even the useless nadir of such picture can still be used to show time and date. For example 23.04.2015 15:23 UTC+2. All that I can do about it is saying I'd find such thing good. I think, some European countries would try to illegalize it. And it's not good. However they didn't illegalize EarthTV so "EarthTV Ultimate Edition" would be legal as well, I hope.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

candyjack wrote:The thing is that there are still a lot of films that are only available on DVD. Just the other week I bought one, because I couldn't find the film even on private trackers. None of my PCs have a DVD drive anymore, so I actually had to lend my mom's laptop to watch it.
I had to buy kiara the brave and space dogs on dvd just to see how bad they suck.

edit:
candyjack wrote:But it does have an average circumference, which is probably what that number denotes.
How do you define 'define?'
candyjack
Vortininja

Post by candyjack »

VikingBoyBilly wrote: How do you define 'define?'
What's the significance of significance?
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x].
SupFanat
Vortininja

Post by SupFanat »

What about comparison between biological and technological memory?
Sorry but the human memory has enormous disadvantage - no backup. Imagine all the games from 1991 (including Commander Keen Galaxy) would be lost because the only copy of them is killed and there's no backup. The human memory works this way! Your memories from 2000 (if you're at least 15 years old) can be lost in a disaster today - you didn't make any backup since 15 years.

Google Street View used to be a thing which backups the memories of Google car drivers more than once so that one single disaster wouldn't remove past memories. However it was badly blurred. Germany is said to be worst case of blurring worldwide. It isn't compatible with my philosophy at all. Let's hope that amazing high-quality Street View isn't really overwritten by blurred crap. It would be the biggest photo album worldwide which is damaged.

I refuse to travel if I'm unable to archive my trips. But try giving me Street View equipment now (if you can) and I would get some interest to travel around unless local police is going to stop me.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

I love how we've moved from optical drives to biological storage mediums.
SupFanat wrote:backups the memories of Google car drivers
The drivers or the cars themselves?
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
SupFanat
Vortininja

Post by SupFanat »

MoffD wrote:I love how we've moved from optical drives to biological storage mediums.
SupFanat wrote:backups the memories of Google car drivers
The drivers or the cars themselves?
Memories of drivers. Even if I were going to drive around the efficiency would be nearly zero.

My logic says it's not correct to get all memories from 1991 to 2015 completely erased because of some error in 2015. And it's the way the biological memory works.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Do you seriously want a backup of every time you sat on a toilet? Put it in a diary.
candyjack wrote:
VikingBoyBilly wrote: How do you define 'define?'
What's the significance of significance?
What's the philosophy of philosophy?
SupFanat
Vortininja

Post by SupFanat »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:Do you seriously want a backup of every time you sat on a toilet? Put it in a diary.
Don't you really have any better idea what should be backed-up?
(What about landscapes around you?)

I'm speaking seriously. Using volatile memory as long-term memory is the worst drawback of living beings. Do you store all your computer files in RAM, fearing that it's all lost if the computer is powered off?
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I'm also speaking seriously when I say it really doesn't matter that much, but it would be cool to excavate the minds of egyptian mummies to really see what their life was like.

What is the art of art?
SupFanat
Vortininja

Post by SupFanat »

I've heard the Europe is gonna crazy with the unlimited desire to protect "personal data". It looks like they'd stop anyone who decides to create own Street View (or another interesting thing such as weather timelapse). For me the unlimited expectation of privacy on plain view is the same as unlimited expectation of metallicity of fluorine. If they deliberately display something on plain view in order to keep in private then I use fluorine to reduce chemical compounds. In order to make rusty iron non-rusty I prefer to burn it in fluorine gas.
SupFanat
Vortininja

Post by SupFanat »

There are very many positions of Sun. Looking from the Earth, the sun is moving spirally westwards and slightly northwards.
Only a timelapse device on the top of TV tower can at last make so that no single position of Sun is missing. It would take long time, though.