Complete Commander Keen 4/5 Sprite Sheet / Sound Set

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Tormentor667
Vortininja

Complete Commander Keen 4/5 Sprite Sheet / Sound Set

Post by Tormentor667 »

Hey guys,

some people might know me from the Doom community (I am actually running www.realm667.com and have been spearheading some larger-scaled projects in the past).

I am currently working on a new project where I would like to add a Commander Keen bonus map somewhere, which involves having a remake of some of the Keen 4 or 5 maps including enemies, sprites, textures, sounds, and all that fancy stuff.

At the moment I am looking for raw resources from Commander Keen Goodbye Galaxy, especially
  • Sprites
  • Textures
  • Sounds
So, is there anyone who can help me with that?

Thanks already in return,
best regards,
Torm

BTW: This is the project I am talking about:
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=47801
Considering that BJ is Billy's grandfather, it might be the best choice to ask for support here ;)
GalaxyEyesPhotonDragon
Vortininja

Post by GalaxyEyesPhotonDragon »

Hey don't forget that Billy is Doomguy's great (some many) granddad.

What all are you looking for? Like, do you want all character's sprites or just a few? Any particular focus?

Sound ripping might be a tad hard. I could use Dosbox's record feature to record a few sound effects though.

Here is a site full of sprites, especially Keens 1-6 (being among the first options.)

http://fragile-minds.com/crashnbass/downloads.php

I myself can only do so much (being that the only computers I have access to are quite limited) but I hope this helps some, for now...
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

For galaxy images; I think most people here can zip them up for you easily, depending on how you want the files anyway.
Sound can be done the same iirc.

Edit: Working on dumping 4-6 for you. If someone else wants to get 1-3 that would be good. I'm not sure how long it will take me to get everything ready (Class work first :lol)
Edit2: Oh wait, just 4-5?
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Just 4-5.

There are in fact several zips out there containing all the Keen Graphics.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Well... went ahead and made a zip of them.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/flm1d3lseqrq5 ... r.zip?dl=0

The ck* files are what your looking for as the sound effects (music is in imf obviously), Lass should know the exact formatting if you're unsure.

Edit: Dropbox hates me apparently... :'(
I keep getting 500 errors on the file. Let me know if you can't open it, I'll try sending it some other way if not.
Tormentor667
Vortininja

Post by Tormentor667 »

Thanks a lot for your quick and kind help guys :)

I can easily work with the graphics but I have no idea what to do with the sounds. I can get music midis from the net in general but the sounds have a .CK5 / .CK4 filetype - what kind of sound format is that? (I can use WAV, MP3, OGG, FLAC)
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Tormentor667 wrote:Thanks a lot for your quick and kind help guys :)

I can easily work with the graphics but I have no idea what to do with the sounds. I can get music midis from the net in general but the sounds have a .CK5 / .CK4 filetype - what kind of sound format is that? (I can use WAV, MP3, OGG, FLAC)
Like I said, Lass knows the specifics (She made keenwave which is what I used to extract them) Afaik it's just raw audio of some sort. Can someone other than me please clarify? :crazy

As to the music, several tools exist for converting to/from imf. They can be stripped down to midi if you want, or can be converted to virtually any audio format.

Edit: just noticed keenwave's -export='wav' switch, I'll reconvert them if you'd like ;)
Edit2: All finished, re-extracted them as 'wav' for the sound effects. Then I ran the imfs through K1n9_Duk3's imf2wav (They have the .IMF.wav extensions)
Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6genmmitylr81 ... d.zip?dl=0
Tormentor667
Vortininja

Post by Tormentor667 »

Absolutely perfect, thanks alot, I owe you one :)
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Tormentor667 wrote:Absolutely perfect, thanks alot, I owe you one :)
No problem, let me know if there's anything else. It's not that hard tbh thanks to several modding tools (unlzexe, keenwave, imf2wav and modkeen) Special thanks to the community! 8)
GalaxyEyesPhotonDragon
Vortininja

Post by GalaxyEyesPhotonDragon »

(These sounds could also make for some good notification ringtones. :D )

I look forward to seeing what you're gonna do with all this stuff... it sounds like it'll be quite cool. Your stuff is always impressive Tormentor.
Formerly Boreas249.
Tormentor667
Vortininja

Post by Tormentor667 »

Thanks for the kind words :)

I actually ran into a problem, the extracted sounds are unfortunately not the Soundblaster ones but the PC Speaker ones which are not what I need :( Is there also a pack with the Soundblaster files?
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Tormentor667 wrote:Thanks for the kind words :)

I actually ran into a problem, the extracted sounds are unfortunately not the Soundblaster ones but the PC Speaker ones which are not what I need :( Is there also a pack with the Soundblaster files?
Ahhh... *scratches head*
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

I happen to still have that pack of sound rips from way back when I was making my own Keen fangames. Make sure to read the readme. ;)

http://davince.tengudev.com/stuff/KeenSounds.zip
Wow look at me I'm lurking
Tormentor667
Vortininja

Post by Tormentor667 »

DaVince, this is perfect. Thanks a lot for these :)
GoldenRishi
Vortininja

Post by GoldenRishi »

DaVince wrote:

I happen to still have that pack of sound rips from way back when I was making my own Keen fangames. Make sure to read the readme. ;)

http://davince.tengudev.com/stuff/KeenSounds.zip
It's really weird to see myself have an impact on the Keen community! This is actually my old sound library. This took HOURS and hours to complete. Thanks for hosting them, DaVince!

By the way, I'd prefer credit given under my current user name, "GoldenRishi" or as "LordofGlobox". I have no idea why I shortened my handle to "Globox". That's just confusing.

EDIT: At some point, I'm going to convert these to an OGG format and re-release them to the community, it should make for a smaller file size. lol, everyone complained when I released this 9 years ago because a whole MB was a lot to transfer. =P Nowadays, it's nothing, but even so OGG is more game friendly. Has anyone done this for Keen's music?
(Used to be LordofGlobox)