Monster flicks

Discuss your favorite movies, books, and music here or just lounge around and see what other people think is classy.
GalaxyEyesPhotonDragon
Vortininja

Monster flicks

Post by GalaxyEyesPhotonDragon »

Man, what happened to these? I used to enjoy a good monster flick (my all time favorites being the Aliens series. by the way there's another coming some time soon, hopefully that'll be good. Hopefully...)to me nothing was scarier than all those murderous creatures from outer space/hell/other supernatural causes etc.
But nowadays I don't see any good ones. In general, monster flicks are rare these days, most of the recent ones are unheard of. You'd think that with all this better technology of today there'd be some pretty awesome monster flicks coming out. But they just don't make them like they used to...

So let's talk monsters!

For starters, anyone know of any good monster flicks
Formerly Boreas249.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

It's the adobe flash effect.

In theory, making animation easier to create should result in faster production of high quality material, right? Instead, it encourages using it as a crutch for quick and lazy animation.

That, and zombies will apparently always be the most fresh and original thing ever and never get old. You don't even have to use creative thinking to redesign them, just crib off the template!
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I think it's more cultural. The western too is dead but nobody blames that on animation. We simply moved on. We're in a superhero craze at the moment, one dedicated to explosions and grittiness and destroying iconic American cities. (To save them!) It too will pass. Will the monster movie return? Who can tell?

Oh, there's also a Five Nights At Freddy's movie. Going to use real animatronics too. Ergo it must be going to be great.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
chrissifniotis
Vorticon Elite

Post by chrissifniotis »

Levellass wrote:...
Oh, there's also a Five Nights At Freddy's movie. Going to use real animatronics too. Ergo it must be going to be great.
[gripe]Good grief, I can't think of a movie more pointless. I'll never understand the appeal in horror.[/gripe]
ScarletFlame
Vortininja

Post by ScarletFlame »

The guy who is currently directing the FNAF movie also directed the Poltergeist reboot and City of Ember, both of which are bad.

The movie will probably be as good as any other video game movie.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

I love old monster flicks. New ones not so much, as they're always smutty and "hey look how campy I am" and feel like they're mocking the old ones.

Everyone feels they have to be so tongue-in-cheek and ironic these days, it's sickening.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I think it's worse that Michael Bay is allowed to think he did a good job and he's ironically not being ironic.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Paramultart wrote:I love old monster flicks. New ones not so much, as they're always smutty and "hey look how campy I am" and feel like they're mocking the old ones.

Everyone feels they have to be so tongue-in-cheek and ironic these days, it's sickening.
While modern horror tends towards 'How much gross stuff can we do?' (Looking at YOU Saw, Wolf Creek and Human Centipede!)
GalaxyEyesPhotonDragon
Vortininja

Levellass wrote:Human Centipede
:barf

Oh god :barf :barf :barf :barf :barf :barf

Yes, horror movies aren't even scary anymore… they're just… I don't know what they are. It's beyond words, all kinds of disappointing…

(To think I was unfortunate enough to be among a group of people who thought these movies were good. To each their own I suppose.. but goodness gracious.)

One particular bad monster movie that comes to mind is Alien vs Predator: Requiem. That movie just makes me mad, how could that have been screwed up so badly? Now a lot of people didn't even like the first one, I actually liked the first AvP movie, and was eager for a 2nd one… but when it came out… and I watched it… oooooooohhhhh noooooooooooooooooooo!!! Forced myself to sit through the entire thing and then I said "never again."

The predalien queen thing was stupid. Just dumb.
First off, I thought it takes a special kind of facehugger to impregnate a host with a queen embryo?
And, what the fucl was up with it going around and impregnating… pregnant women?! Just what the hell? Oh and suddenly a whole town is overrun by aliens because of that. Oh good idea let's just make a predalien queen thing that goes around inserting embryos en mass into some very pregnant women, cause it's edgy & stuff, you know? That's not rushing things either btw…
The characters were just stupid, to be honest I had hoped all of them would have died by the end of the move.
The predator actually managed to annoy me more than most of the other characters. He wasn't even scary or "cool," he was nothing special, watching him bored me…
The aliens… my favorite movie monsters, how they failed to deliver… there was nothing scary about them either in that film. Nothing. They too bored me.

The whole movie just pissed me off… not just as an aliens fan or a general sic-fi fan, it just pissed me off to have to sit there and watch this and wonder "who the hell thought it was a good idea to release this?"

*sigh*

To add insult to injury, I knew a few people who looked at me like I was stupid when I said I didn't like the movie.
Formerly Boreas249.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Levellass wrote: While modern horror tends towards 'How much gross stuff can we do?' (Looking at YOU Saw, Wolf Creek and Human Centipede!)
Exactly.

I want to know exactly what kind of sick idiot enjoys watching women being sexualized and degraded before being chopped up into tiny pieces in a movie, and why those people get to make movies at all.

At what point in history was there a huge public demand to watch that?

People were conditioned to just accept as Jason hacked away at scantily clad teenagers in the Friday the 13th series. First, they were shocked... Some were outraged, but that outrage quickly subsided. Then it became "cool". Now, even non-horror movies are more depraved than ever.

The violence we commonly see in horror films is almost like a ritualistic sacrifice taking place on the screen, conducted by some weird alien force that wants to degrade western civilization by imposing artificial norms that are toxic to our people.

"DIEEEE, SEXY WHITE TEENAGERS... THIS PLEASES LORD BAPHOMET! MWUAHAHAHAHA!!!"
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
BlueGasMask
Vorticon Elite

Post by BlueGasMask »

If you'd like to give up on life, watch Hyenas.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

It's okay because it's not anime furries.

The internet and the west hath spoken.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:It's okay because it's not anime furries.

The internet and the west hath spoken.
Hey now, I kinda like Chinese cartoons.
GalaxyEyesPhotonDragon
Vortininja

I say there should be a monster flick on bunnies.

Cause, you know. Those cute and cuddly looking bastards are actually terrifying.

I kid. Oh lord could you imagine?

Y'know... how about a movie based a little off Bio-Menace? Only with the monsters actually looking scary (no offense, love Bio-Menace but most of the monsters were cutesy.) and less cliche bad guy stuff. Kinda liked the idea of mutant monsters overruning civilization...
Formerly Boreas249.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

GalaxyEyesPhotonDragon wrote:I say there should be a monster flick on bunnies.
I thought the fourth Wallace and Grommit movie was about that.