Shmaynoria - UPDATE on PAGE 4! < < <

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

Sadly, Paramultart's website is down :(
Shmaynoria is just one piece of it.

As I've got a local copy of the MOD, though, I've decided to store it on a temporary location:
http://ny.duke4.net/temp/SHMAYv1.zip

Note the mention of "temporary". I do intend to remove it soon (say a ~week from now), and prefer it to be available on a more relevant site (like, say, a collection of Keen MODs).

It'd be nice if more players have the chance to try it out.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

I have it hosted more permanently here

http://www.bipship.com/mods/Shmay.zip

Although I'm not sure what version this is.
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

ckguy wrote:I have it hosted more permanently here

http://www.bipship.com/mods/Shmay.zip

Although I'm not sure what version this is.
Hmm, think that I've attempted to look for it, and missed it for some reason :O

A few differences I've seen:
- The file hosted by you appears to have its origins from 2010-08-30, although all of the internal ZIP contents are dated 2011-06-30.
- As for the file I've uploaded, there are various 2010 file timestamps, the most recent being 2010-11-02. Considering this is the date this topic was started by Paramultart, it must be the "complete version".
Furthermore, the contents of the patch file have been obfuscated.

Thus, maybe bipship has actually got the original version as released for that competition!

---------------------------------------------------------

Alright, to the other part of the post: I don't tend to play much Vorticons modifications; That's also the case in comparison to Galaxy MODs that I played, along with other relevant games/MODs. But, I've thought of trying this out.
And so, about an hour from now, I've completed Shmaynoria (the November 2010 release).
Liked the presence of the silly tidbits - even in the story itself! And, of course, not just story-specific. As a little example, thanks to StupidBunny for reminding of the dogs section :O
I've also liked the presence (or at least the feeling) of multiple kinds of environments - once in a natural outside area, then in a dark cavern-kind-of level, and later... a circus?! That can make ppl truly surprised, and/or laugh :)

I do recall there being no ending sometime before completing the game (maybe even before beginning). Only when I've got to there, then, like, in the 1st second of seeing the black screen I've been reminded of that...
I've read of the reasons for the lack of the end sequence, though.

Good job to Para on the MOD.
<offtopic>I've...shhh...heard of possible work done on a Shmaynoria 2 MOD; Lets hope it's gets to the state that ones can have fun playing it!</offtopic>
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

You can tell the difference between the competition version and the full release by playing it and falling down the first pit of the first level. If you die, it's the full release. If you get stuck and have to close DosBox, it's the incredibly-buggy competition version...
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

While I am greatly honored that you guys took the time to play the mod, and enjoyed it, I really wish you took my advice in waiting for the REAL completed version, which was going to be bundled and released with Shmaynoria 2: Return to Shmaynoria.

By the way, I guess I might as well mention here that progress on the sequel is going great. I think it's an enormous step up from the first game, and I think everyone will be sufficiently surprised when it comes out. :)
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

DHeadshot wrote:You can tell the difference between the competition version and the full release by playing it and falling down the first pit of the first level. If you die, it's the full release. If you get stuck and have to close DosBox, it's the incredibly-buggy competition version...
Yeah, it could actually be quicker if I've just tried loading the MOD in its original form for the competition...
At least, though, we know there are differences now.
Paramultart wrote:While I am greatly honored that you guys took the time to play the mod, and enjoyed it, I really wish you took my advice in waiting for the REAL completed version, which was going to be bundled and released with Shmaynoria 2: Return to Shmaynoria.
Interestingly, I've had some vague memory that maybe, you want downloads links to the first MOD be removed :O
Maybe I've thought that Shmaynoria 2 is going to be the more "up to date" Shmaynoria. It could be just me, though.

Now a different question comes (at least for myself): Should I try the original Shmay 1 release at some point? Maybe if I want a little more challenge in a few levels... the ones that can be completed, that is.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

NY00123 wrote: Interestingly, I've had some vague memory that maybe, you want downloads links to the first MOD be removed :O
Maybe I've thought that Shmaynoria 2 is going to be the more "up to date" Shmaynoria. It could be just me, though.

Now a different question comes (at least for myself): Should I try the original Shmay 1 release at some point? Maybe if I want a little more challenge in a few levels... the ones that can be completed, that is.
I don't recommend playing the unfinished competition version. It's just a crappier version of the game, not some special, more challenging edition.

The biggest problem with the current version of the game is that the entire end scene got scrapped due to patching difficulties. At the time, it seemed more important to me to completely scrap the ending than have it go to the classic Keen 1 ending I had little control over other than the text.

In the final version of Shmaynoria 1, I want to max out the number of levels and restore the full ending cut-scene, regardless of if I'm able to tweak it to my liking. So I guess it would be kind of like an extended version, but I would consider it to simply be the TRUE full version of the mod.

So yeah. I would encourage everyone to wait for the release of Shmaynoria 2 before checking the game out for the first time.

For those wondering what happened to my personal home page, here is the message I received regarding my site from my "FREE" webhost, who after jerking me around countless times in the past, has permanently closed my "FREE" account.
"Suspended (Account sent more than 1000 email messages and only gets 4 visitors per day. This overloads our mail server. If you need to send more emails and to get your account re-activated, please upgrade to our premium UNLIMITED hosting at (doucheysite)
Do they actually think they're going to entice members to upgrade to their "premium services" after screwing them over and deleting their entire website? For the record, I never used their mail service, and I even advertised their services on my site as they requested. I don't believe I even had any recent website backups on my hard drive.
Needless to say, I will never be using 000webhost again.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Shmaynoria 1 - Final Version

Post by Paramultart »

FINALFINALFINALFINALFINALFINAL
SHMAYNORIA V3 DOWNLOAD:
http://zapado.shikadi.net/trasharchive/ ... HMAYv3.zip
FINALFINALFINAL?FINALFINALFINAL

Hey everybody,
Hey everybody,
Hey everybody,Hey everybody,

It has recently come to my attention that the Shmaynoria
page on the Keen Wiki not only did not contain the latest
version of Shmaynoria 1, but it was also falsely labeled
as the completed, 2011 version.

The easy way to discern the 2010 1-night-project version
and the completed version is the distinct new Keen player sprites.

Thbbbttt... :barf

Since outdated versions of Shmaynoria were floating around
the internet, falsely labeled as the latest version,
and since the actual final version that was released in
2011 had the ending sequence patched out,
I have decided to re-release Shmaynoria with the
proper updated version of 2011, as well as a fixed ending,
to avoid any confusion of what the latest version is.

Let it be known that Shmaynoria V3 is the latest,
and likely final version, of the game.

Though a "Version 2" likely never existed, I've named this version
"Version 3" because the old version had already been named "v1".

Poop poop fart guts McGillicuddy.

I am quite tired of people playing the outdated
competition version of the game, which was
made in only one night in 2010.

Grrr... :celtic

*Farts* :o

Enjoy the full version of the game, which you've
likely never played in the last four and a half
years that it's been done, because someone
put the wrong version on the Keen Wiki.

I also updated the Shmaynoria page:

http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Shmaynoria

SHMAYNORIA V3 DOWNLOAD:
FINALFINALFINALFINALFINALFINAL???
http://zapado.shikadi.net/trasharchive/ ... HMAYv3.zip
FINALFINALFINAL?FINALFINALFINAL?
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

What are the differences?
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Between the November 2010 version and the recent update?

Not much. I plugged the Zapado site in some of the game's text and removed the patch that disabled the ending sequence.

The point of making a spectacle out of this update is that for years now, the beta (Keen's Night At The Improv) version of the game has been touted as the latest release on the Keen Wiki.

This came to my attention when a YouTuber recently did a playthough of Shmaynoria using the old version.

So I named the final version V3 to avoid any confusion.

(...Or was your question sarcastic?)
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Best forum post of 2015.
Wow look at me I'm lurking
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Are we ready to get Shmaynoria II back in the works? Abiathar looks great. There's a huge clump of levels named OVERWRITE ME. I guess we didn't do as much as we thought.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

I need to ask Fleexy permission first.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

U've made this in one night? wowoww
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime