Muppets!

Discuss your favorite movies, books, and music here or just lounge around and see what other people think is classy.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Muppets!

Post by Levellass »

So we're being nostalgic about childhood stuff.

Question PCKF, who sucks more? Kermit: http://jezebel.com/5861609/kermit-the-f ... -boyfriend

Or Piggy? http://www.newrepublic.com/article/1227 ... tic-abuser

I hear there's a new TV series about them or something. I heard it sucks. So nothing surprising there.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

WARNING: I'm about to sperge out over some cartoons, y'all.

The new Muppet movies and the new Muppet show are trash.

Once again, Hollywood doesn't know how to revive/remake something without it being all "self-referential" and "ironic".

I recently learned they were making a full-length crossover movie based on 90's Nick Toons, like Rugrats, Ren & Stimpy, Hey Arnold, et cetera.

That being my favourite era of cartoons, I was ecstatic...

Until, of course, I found out the creators said it was going to be a "live-action/animation crossover" that was "inspired by the Lego Movie, Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Wreck it Ralph", and "filled with tons of self-referential humour".

I'm calling it now... When that crappy movie comes out, I guarantee they're going to have a scene where Reptar (the godzilla monster from Rugrats) in an IRL sequence terrorizes a city or something.

It'll be just like that stupid "Pixels" movie, which I WILL NEVER WATCH, btw.

"HURR OMG THE NICKTOONS ARE COMIN' TO LIFE HURRR"

STUPID FREAKING "IRONIC" CULTURE!!!

CAN'T ANYTHING BE REBOOTED WITHOUT IT BEING A SARCASTIC PARODY OF ITSELF!?

GRGRRGRRRRRRRRRRRRGRRR
:x :x :x

THAT'S IT, GET THE OMEGAMATIC! :mortlol

[/sperge]
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Finally.

You don't know how many years I've been waiting for an excuse to write this rant! (and shame on you for forgetting to make this topic a poll)

I love Kermit and Gonzo, and I hate the love triangle they got stuck in! :mad
Gonzo, why do you like this girl? Piggy is a terrible character, and she's constantly torturing both of them. It's like Bella/Jacob/Edward, but in this at least two of the characters are likeable, and it's not the mary sue!

Miss Piggy: GET OUT OF MUPPET BABIES AND STOP RUINING THE SHOW! :mad :mad :mad :mad

Thank you for listening. Having been plastered on an internet forum, my opinion is now an objective fact, and this fact will remain unchanged for the rest of eternity.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

GRRR THAT'S RIGHT GRRR :x :x :x
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

I've watched all original series, seasons 1-4. Still have to watch season 5. Piggy was a great character. Muppets have been smashing each other since Punch and Judy.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

troublesomekeen wrote:I've watched all original series, seasons 1-4. Still have to watch season 5. Piggy was a great character. Muppets have been smashing each other since Punch and Judy.
Who? Are you saying there were muppet characters before Kermit and Piggy?
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

I'm saying the relationship between Kermit and Piggy used to be thoroughly delightful.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Hey, a guy at work told me there's a new muppet show starting tonight.

You only made this thread because of that!
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Paramultart wrote: The new Muppet movies and the new Muppet show are trash.

Once again, Hollywood doesn't know how to revive/remake something without it being all "self-referential" and "ironic".
First of all, have you actually seen the new Muppet movie? I'm only asking because I see alot of people on the net bashing stuff when its obvious (to me at least) that they've only really seen the trailers. So if you haven't seen it, that's fine, it just changes the dynamics of this discussion.

Like whenever I see people say that Man of Steel of was trying to be "grounded in reality like Nolan's Batman films" or that Superman does a lot of brooding in the movie...I have a feeling that they've only seen the trailers (I get the same feeling when people call the new Mad Max movie "Feminist Road").

So, first of all, how is the new Muppets movie supposed to be a remake? This is part of what makes me think you haven't seen the actual movie (and the fact that 90% of your post is more or less a complaint about the new Nicktoons movies). I'm also not seeing how the movie is a self-parody of itself, which is kind of hard to classify since the Muppets don't really take themselves seriously in the first place. Granted, they did make some call backs to previous Muppets stuffs, but I felt like they were still genuine Muppets jokes.

Now if you want to complain about the plot using the "big bad oil" villains or the humans taking up a chunk of the plot, I can understand that-- I'm not asking you to like the film and realize it's not perfect.

I also feel that Abrams relied maybe a bit too much on references to previous Trek stuff in both of his Star Trek reboot movies and they did the same thing with Terminator Genisys, so I understand your complaint, conceptually at least and have seen it done recently. I just don't see how your complaints are valid in the new Muppets movie.

Now to be non-hypocritical, I have not seen the new Muppets show, nor the Most Wanted film... so I won't comment on either of those. But I did see the 2011 Muppet movie and loved it.
Last edited by Lava89 on Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:15, edited 7 times in total.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Star trek 11 was horrible and your entire post is wrong.

I haven't even seen the trailer and I am already 100% assured that EVERYTHING MODERN NOT CALLED POKEMON IS GARBAGE!!!!! AND POKEMON GAMES SHOULD BE 2D AGAIN!!!!!!!!! :mad :mad :mad :mad:mad
ScarletFlame
Vortininja

Post by ScarletFlame »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:POKEMON GAMES SHOULD BE 2D AGAIN!!!!!!!!! :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad
What? Noooooooo
I like Pokemon in 3D. Although, the sixth gen is probably worse gen so far.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

ScarletFlame wrote:
VikingBoyBilly wrote:POKEMON GAMES SHOULD BE 2D AGAIN!!!!!!!!! :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad
What? Noooooooo
The 3D gen. Yes.
ScarletFlame
Vortininja

Post by ScarletFlame »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:
ScarletFlame wrote:
What? Noooooooo
The 3D gen. Yes.
The fact that it is in 3D isn't why it's bad. It has an extremely easy difficulty, and barely anything to do after the elite four.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

ScarletFlame wrote:
VikingBoyBilly wrote:
ScarletFlame wrote: What? Noooooooo
The 3D gen. Yes.
The fact that it is in 3D isn't why it's bad. It has an extremely easy difficulty, and barely anything to do after the elite four.
You fail to understand that the mentality of market-obsessed heads of 3D game developers have everything to do with that. Gamefreak was able to do whatever they wanted for 5 gens until now. They should have appealed to ME and made another 2d sprite game! >:
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Capture all pokemon? hohoho NO
Not unless you are:
a) one of the lucky people who went to the celebi event and have owned just about every game since
b) trade with a ton of people leading back to one of the above
c) exploit
*rant rant rant*

Seriously guys, do we really need that many (700+) pokemon? We're almost getting rehashes already. I smell marketing and milking an IP for all it's worth.
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.