Quick Poll: Monitor Resolutions

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.

Monitor

1920 x 1080
63%
1600 x 900
6%
1280 x 720
6%
Other (16:9)
25%

Total votes: 16

kvee
Vortininja

Post by kvee »

2048x1152
digging the extra space over full hd!
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

How big is your screen, kvee?
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
kvee
Vortininja

Post by kvee »

Keening_Product wrote:How big is your screen, kvee?
23"
(Samsung SyncMaster 2343NW)
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Is everything really small, or does the UI compensate for the super high resolution?

kvee
Vortininja

Post by kvee »

Keening_Product wrote:Is everything really small, or does the UI compensate for the super high resolution?
I guess that's subjective, but I find everything looking just fine. The dpi is of course a bit higher compared to your standard 24" fullhd displays, but I still run everything at 100%.

My laptop is an entirely different story, it's got 1920x1080 at 11", so I have scaling enabled by default and only turn it off for apps that don't work with it.
GoldenRishi
Vortininja

Post by GoldenRishi »

kvee wrote:2048x1152
Fascinating. That's a really non-standard pixel count. How much did yours cost over a standard full HD monitor? That's about a 20% increase in screen space over 1080p.
(Used to be LordofGlobox)
kvee
Vortininja

Post by kvee »

GoldenRishi wrote:
Fascinating. That's a really non-standard pixel count. How much did yours cost over a standard full HD monitor? That's about a 20% increase in screen space over 1080p.
I bought it about... wow, six years ago. It cost me the equivalent of about $200. There was also a DVI variant for additional $50, but since this is still just a TN panel and I never had noise issues with d-sub connections, I went with this cheaper variant. Thought I'd have changed it by now, but I'm really happy with it :]

Well as for the price comparison with other full HD panels, IIRC the prices were similar for entry level TN panels around here.
GoldenRishi
Vortininja

Post by GoldenRishi »

kvee wrote:
GoldenRishi wrote:
I bought it about... wow, six years ago. It cost me the equivalent of about $200. There was also a DVI variant for additional $50, but since this is still just a TN panel and I never had noise issues with d-sub connections, I went with this cheaper variant. Thought I'd have changed it by now, but I'm really happy with it :]

Well as for the price comparison with other full HD panels, IIRC the prices were similar for entry level TN panels around here.
Yeah, as long as the color range is still competitive with modern computers and there's no dead pixels or burn in, there's really no reason to buy new monitors, especially if it's already full HD or better and >= 23" screen size, imo.

I have two 23" 1080p monitors, and although one of them doesn't have the best color display, there's really no reason to get rid of any of my monitors or upgrade. One day, I may buy 27" with 2K or greater resolution, but for now GPU's can't really handle the graphics and at any rate my current 670 couldn't handle 2K graphics. Maybe when I upgrade my computer in a few years, I may do it.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

A resolution that high for $200 six years ago? Good find - that monitor sounds more like a speciality component, although the panel type is bottom rung. Other than the DVI option, how does it compare with more expensive screens? Good contrast ratio and colour reproduction?

I swear by Benq's inexpensive VA panel and its pretty great colour reproduction, but I understand some gamers will get in a rage over the responsiveness of VA panels. Different monitors for different needs.

kvee
Vortininja

Post by kvee »

GoldenRishi wrote:Yeah, as long as the color range is still competitive with modern computers and there's no dead pixels or burn in, there's really no reason to buy new monitors, especially if it's already full HD or better and >= 23" screen size, imo.

I have two 23" 1080p monitors, and although one of them doesn't have the best color display, there's really no reason to get rid of any of my monitors or upgrade. One day, I may buy 27" with 2K or greater resolution, but for now GPU's can't really handle the graphics and at any rate my current 670 couldn't handle 2K graphics. Maybe when I upgrade my computer in a few years, I may do it.
Well I'm a single display kind of guy, so I thought I'd buy a larger screen just for the screen real estate, but it's not that important to be honest. Movies and gaming would definitely benefit from that though.
Keening_Product wrote:A resolution that high for $200 six years ago? Good find - that monitor sounds more like a speciality component, although the panel type is bottom rung.
It was a steal! Shame they don't sell them anymore. Dunno where that resolution comes from, but it can display letterboxed DCI 2k (2048x1080) while having the same aspect ratio as full HD (16:9), so I'm thinking basic video editing?
Keening_Product wrote:Other than the DVI option, how does it compare with more expensive screens? Good contrast ratio and colour reproduction?
Well, I can compare against my VAIO's IPS screen that has Sony's Triluminos (http://discover.store.sony.com/sony-tec ... TRILUMINOS) in it. On the laptop, the blacks are _black, whereas with the 23" there is a slight but noticeable glow even with some ambient lighting on. Viewing angles are limited, as is to be expected, and fast white->black transitions (like when you move a cursor) are noticeable, if you specifically look for them. The IPS obviously suffers from none of these issues.

As for the color performance, once again, the IPS is better, but the 23" has very decent colors (I was actually surprised) and no noticeable dithering artifacts either. Full disclosure though, that might be because of the higher DPI and me looking at the screen from about 15-20" most of the time.

Only thing comes to mind, when viewing full per-channel 0->255 gradients, I can't distinguish the highest (~245+) values but idk if that's the panel's fault. Didn't test that on the IPS.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I have 2560 x 1600 on 13''

And I have an old 1280 x 800 13.3''
Image You crack me up little buddy!
GoldenRishi
Vortininja

Post by GoldenRishi »

tulip wrote:I have 2560 x 1600 on 13''

And I have an old 1280 x 800 13.3''
On a 13"? Is it a laptop?
GoldenRishi
Vortininja

Post by GoldenRishi »

Side Comment regarding the OP: I have decided that the most computationally efficient thing to do, keeping the nature of what I have in mind and given hardware and software constraints, it will be best to do my engine in 720p, and upscale by 2. So the window will be 640x360. This already four times the screen space of DOS games, but still perfect for pixel art. Since my style is a cross between ~1993 PC games and SNES games, that seems to work pretty well.

The upshot is that this resolution works just as well for laptops as it does PC's, since most laptops seem to support 720p.
GoldenRishi
Vortininja

Post by GoldenRishi »

As a general comment: I haven't "officially" announced this project yet, and I won't for some time because this is in the extreme alpha-phase and 100% in my limited free-time, but I'd like to give little mini-updates. So from now until I give an official announcement of what I'm doing, I'll keep vague updates here. This is mostly a way of just having a record of what's (again vaguely) going on in this project of mine. This will also go on the OP.

I'm moving my engine out of GameMaker:Studio (which has been collecting a lot of problems for me, and presents several unacceptable limitations as well as several coding irritations). I'm looking into a library for C++ called SDL, and placing my engine on top of that. It has all of the usual programming features that I know how to program in, and it will remove the bloat of GM:S. It seems like exactly what I want --SDL acts as an intermediary for hardware, and I just get inputs/give outputs from/to the hardware, including threads for parallel programming, which looks like it'll be necessary (I'll explain this if/when I ever officially announce what I'm doing).

kvee wrote:
GoldenRishi wrote:I have two 23" 1080p monitors, and although one of them doesn't have the best color display, there's really no reason to get rid of any of my monitors or upgrade.
Well I'm a single display kind of guy, so I thought I'd buy a larger screen just for the screen real estate, but it's not that important to be honest. Movies and gaming would definitely benefit from that though.
Yeah, I thought that back when I had a laptop. But I've got to tell you, five years later, I can't live without dual monitors. It drives me crazy when I have to use my laptop sometimes. I'm pretty much always watching Netflix/YouTube and browsing at the same time.

e.g. It's also considerably better for programming tutorials, where you can watch what's happening on one screen, and typing out the code in the other screen. It's also very useful for seeing in real time how much your games/programs are straining your machine, as you can run CPU-Z, GPU-Z, and Speccy to keep track of system/GPU memory, CPU/GPU speed, CPU/GPU usage, and CPU/GPU/MoBo/ temperatures to see how much your machine is being strained or if something needs a better cooling solution, while the game is running on the other display.
kvee wrote:
Keening_Product wrote:A resolution that high for $200 six years ago? Good find - that monitor sounds more like a speciality component, although the panel type is bottom rung.
It was a steal! Shame they don't sell them anymore. Dunno where that resolution comes from, but it can display letterboxed DCI 2k (2048x1080) while having the same aspect ratio as full HD (16:9), so I'm thinking basic video editing?
Yeah, I know, right? That's a crazy good deal.
kvee
Vortininja

Post by kvee »

GoldenRishi wrote:I'm looking into a library for C++ called SDL, and placing my engine on top of that.
Software rendering or OpenGL?
I've successfully used OpenGL for a neat tile-based engine, sidestepping SDL completely. But I kinda wanted to do a project like that from scratch.
GoldenRishi wrote:Yeah, I thought that back when I had a laptop. But I've got to tell you, five years later, I can't live without dual monitors. It drives me crazy when I have to use my laptop sometimes. I'm pretty much always watching Netflix/YouTube and browsing at the same time.
I've actually tried multi monitor setups, but I usually like to just immerse myself into what I'm doing. I can see myself using a second monitor for a browser window with API references, but overall I prefer a larger single monitor where I can just do this with two windows side by side. And I prefer to watch YouTube in fullscreen.
GoldenRishi wrote:It's also very useful for seeing in real time how much your games/programs are straining your machine, as you can run CPU-Z, GPU-Z, and Speccy to keep track of system/GPU memory, CPU/GPU speed, CPU/GPU usage, and CPU/GPU/MoBo/ temperatures to see how much your machine is being strained or if something needs a better cooling solution, while the game is running on the other display.
Yeah, I've been spending some time with GPU-Z lately. My 550Ti's fan now for some reason can't cool the card under 100% load, which sucks big time. I need to try and reapply the heat paste, in the meantime I have to underclock for games. Oh well.