Today I implemented the control scheme of Commander Genius to Keen Dreams and finally I got better. Finally I can use my gamepad...
The good thing is that now I can map any button and direction of the gamepad to the actions of the player.
But I'm still not good enough. I only get some bombs and I still cannot reach the boss. Man, my skills aren't that good as they were in the past.
Anyway, I really cannot complain. The game is a lot of fun and being able to provide the game experience of Keen Dreams through Commander Genius based on the original sources is something it makes my heart bump higher. Everything runs stable you can play the whole thing, there are only minor issues related to the interface, very cool. Let's talk about what I plan for Commander Genius:
- - EGA only will be supported. This makes the relevant Dreams code much smaller. I might support the CGA, if it is of that much interest.
- Full control setup. Whether your joystick of choice you want to setup or use the keyboard, you can map the controls as you wish.
- Level replayability, because the player should have the chance to collect all bombs in order to finish the game. Game is hard enough already.
- C++ code. Some C code will stay as it is, but I want to be able to compile it with g++ and use C++ classes that CG provide.
- Cleanup the code a bit but maintain the mechanics of the whole gameplay
There is more I want to accomplish because the ecosystem of CG is larger than that. So after these features are set up and the release supports Dreams very well, even on mobile devices, the next thing to come is:
- - Music in Keen Dreams for the first time. Troublesomekeen is preparing something special for this game and if he succeeds, this is going to be part of a new HQP. Play Keen Dreams with tunes finally! If he is faster by putting all that together, we might have it in the next release already. Here is the discussion about that feature: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeZgZ1o ... e=youtu.be
- Multiplayer mode in Keen dreams. Keen in many pyjama colors, maybe? Play the levels together with your friends and beat it together
- Mod support in Dreams. I will take a look on some mods and try to support at least the most relevant ones
So the closing year will be very interesting for CG!