OFF TOPIC THREAD: Where derailing the thread is impossible!

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

You're lying; Adurdin chose Keenrush to be the only pckf admin ever.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
GoldenRishi
Vortininja

Post by GoldenRishi »

KeenEmpire wrote:Could be. cho'gall, eK, Flaose most definitely took over cc314 from Geoff, and I'm almost certain they were forum admins, but I'm not positive on the actual question of founding.

It's too bad that a lot of TMST content was flash-based. Many old wonderful flash videos (not only Keen-related) may end up unwatchable within a few years, as the format goes the way of the dinosaur. Flash may be the most common example, in the modern day, of how we can lose access to proprietary formats, effectively deleting a lot of our data.
There must be open source projects that emulate a flash player though, no?
(Used to be LordofGlobox)
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

GoldenRishi wrote:There must be open source projects that emulate a flash player though, no?
Gnash, Shumway, which tout compatibility with older versions, at least. I don't think there's enough will to get .flv's complicated format fully working (unlike .doc, for which there is a lot of will), and Gnash development was complicated by the EULA.

Better to make sure we have a FOSS reader from the start rather than attempting one after the fact.

Also, as flash is used less and less on the web (perhaps eventually never being installed at all, as it already isn't on most mobile), websites would just stop hosting the old flash content entirely. No point if nobody can watch it...
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
ScarletFlame
Vortininja

Post by ScarletFlame »

I accidentally stumbled upon vorticon rule 34 and now I want to die.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

ScarletFlame wrote:I accidentally stumbled upon vorticon rule 34 and now I want to die.
wtf? i hate you.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

wiivn wrote:
ScarletFlame wrote:I accidentally stumbled upon vorticon rule 34 and now I want to die.
wtf? i hate you.
I remember seeing that. It's not pleasant.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
GalaxyEyesPhotonDragon
Vortininja

Post by GalaxyEyesPhotonDragon »

So my little brother had the nerve to say "Commander Keen sucks!!"
I responded by popping him on the back of the head repeatedly until he took it back. I won't stand for that nonsense. o_o

Vorticon rule 34?! I don't wanna know. I don't ever wanna know. I wanna gouge my eyes out for even having read that. Please God no.
Formerly Boreas249.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

KeenEmpire wrote:
GoldenRishi wrote:There must be open source projects that emulate a flash player though, no?
Gnash, Shumway, which tout compatibility with older versions, at least. I don't think there's enough will to get .flv's complicated format fully working (unlike .doc, for which there is a lot of will), and Gnash development was complicated by the EULA.
I think in the factory Debian repos there's a player which can even run Flash games. I'm not sure of its full compatibility status, but it does a pretty great job. I can't remember - this was a little while ago and on my dad's computer. Maybe I pulled it from the web; I can't quite remember.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Keening_Product wrote:
KeenEmpire wrote:
I think in the factory Debian repos there's a player which can even run Flash games. I'm not sure of its full compatibility status, but it does a pretty great job. I can't remember - this was a little while ago and on my dad's computer. Maybe I pulled it from the web; I can't quite remember.
That awkward moment when years in the future, a Linux program is ported to Windows to run flash.
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

So CISA (Cybersecurity Information Sharing Act) passed. You're all screwed I hear.

There's now enough of it that I don't actually know which specific one you may have stumbled upon. Fortunately it seems all the older stuff has actually fallen off the face of the internet.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Great trick shot:

Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
mortimer
Blistering Barnacles

Post by mortimer »

:garg :garg :garg :garg :garg
Last edited by mortimer on Sun Jul 12, 2020 20:49, edited 1 time in total.
Billions of blue blistering barnacles in a thousand thundering typhoons!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Please sign this petition: http://action.sumofus.org/a/bayer-bees- ... /2/?sub=fb Bayer is suing a whole continent for saving the bees!
ScarletFlame
Vortininja

Post by ScarletFlame »

wiivn wrote:Please sign this petition: http://action.sumofus.org/a/bayer-bees- ... /2/?sub=fb Bayer is suing a whole continent for saving the bees!
I immediately thought of
GoldenRishi
Vortininja

Post by GoldenRishi »

wiivn wrote:Please sign this petition: http://action.sumofus.org/a/bayer-bees- ... /2/?sub=fb Bayer is suing a whole continent for saving the bees!
I think it's rather ridiculous that companies can sue regulatory bodies in governments to make them undo regulations, although it's apparently now commonplace all over the world.

Seriously, it'd be like if companies could just sue the government to make them undo laws --or even constitutions. Don't like the current laws? Have lots of money? Just sue the s*** out of the government until they give you what they want. Granted, in the current wave of crony capitalism that's infiltrated the West, that's basically what bought-off politicians do, but at least one company can't sue the government to act as a corporate veto for any legislation that it doesn't like.
(Used to be LordofGlobox)