Keen Asylum

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Keen Asylum

Post by Syllypryde »

I have beaten Keen Asylum on easy and very soon I am going to start playing on normal. I did have one question for anyone who may know. My question is concerning Level 7 called Wild. At the beginning of the level there is a shaft which shows arrows pointing up, but all there is in the shaft is a dropping Goplat, which certainly cannot take you up. Is it actually possible to go up and play the rest of the level, or is this just a tease?

Patrick
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

If I remember correct you have to shoot up while dropping with the goplat or something like that, there was some strange trick that gets you up. Or possibly holding a down key or up key or something. But if I'm thinking of the same level then there definitely is a way up.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

KeenRush wrote:If I remember correct you have to shoot up while dropping with the goplat or something like that, there was some strange trick that gets you up. Or possibly holding a down key or up key or something. But if I'm thinking of the same level then there definitely is a way up.
You were right! The "strange trick" is actually the Impossible Bullet Trick in Keen 6. How is this possible in Keen 5??? Don't most Keeners consider the Impossible Bullet cheating?
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Yup, it's the impossible bullet trick, I didn't know you knew the name. ;) Yeah, it's cheating to me but not in this particular spot in which it's meant to be used -- no idea how they achieved that in the level, though!
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

KeenRush wrote:Yup, it's the impossible bullet trick, I didn't know you knew the name. ;) Yeah, it's cheating to me but not in this particular spot in which it's meant to be used -- no idea how they achieved that in the level, though!
Yes, I do know the name. I may be new to the Keen Community, but I am not new to the Commander Keen games. :p However, I am sure there are still a few things here and there about Keen I still can learn, especially with all these new mods and levelpacks out. Many of these authors have been coming up with some new graphics and tricks that are pretty cool. Hopefully one day I will get to experience most of these mods and levelpacks in their entirety.

Patrick
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Gr1nreaper
Vortininja

Post by Gr1nreaper »

Sure, IB (Impossible Bullet) is possible in keens 4, 5, and 6. Any time keen rides a falling goplat that doesn't have a stopping info tile, keen will stop falling at the first solid tile he reaches (assuming there is one), but the goplat will drop off the screen. At this point, you can shoot up, and keen will fly. You can do this in the first level of keen 4, in the underground hidden area with all the lives.

I thought this was common knowledge by now...
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

The IB trick is, but most associate it with Keen 6, where you can trigger the FullCliptoWalls error by landing on one of Keen's shots. There are literally dozens of errors in Keen 4-6, few of which I have seen on the Keenwiki. I would add them, but I never get around to it.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

Aren't most of the bugs in Keen 4-6 in Keen 6 only? I've noticed so many more in Keen 6 than in 4 and 5 combined.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

As of 14:09 today, an edit was made at the KeenWiki. It now shows Dr. Witherstone as the author of Keen Asylum. Before the edit, it showed BrIck as the author. On DosClassics and CK Guy's site The bipship, they also show Br1ck as the author of Keen Asylum. So which one really created this levelpack? Dr. Witherstone, Br1ck or both?
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

They're brothers, and if I remember correct they both worked on it. :)
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

KeenRush wrote:They're brothers, and if I remember correct they both worked on it. :)
I see. Thank you for clearing up the misunderstanding.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

I have begun playing Keen Asylum on normal. So far I have only beaten a few levels, Intro, Rocket, Wild, and Sparky Home. Right now I am stuck on The Tower of Secrets and Mortillery because I keep on making stupid mistakes.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees