OFF TOPIC THREAD: Where derailing the thread is impossible!

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

Well...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verizon_C ... FCC_(2014)

And, of course, who can forget the disastrous https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizens_United_v._FEC that now allows lobbyists to effectively spend unlimited amounts on their candidates? After all, more big money in elections is exactly what a healthy democracy needs.
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
GoldenRishi
Vortininja

Post by GoldenRishi »

KeenEmpire wrote:Well...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verizon_C ... FCC_(2014)

And, of course, who can forget the disastrous https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizens_United_v._FEC that now allows lobbyists to effectively spend unlimited amounts on their candidates? After all, more big money in elections is exactly what a healthy democracy needs.
Yeah, but at least the FCC appears to be pro-open internet (for now). And as much as Citizens United needs to be crushed, crony capitalism and the system of bought-and-paid-for politicians existed long before 2010. Citizens United just streamlined the process. So fixing crony capitalism goes far beyond just undoing Citizens United, it means having publicly financed campaigns, preventing all corporations from contributing to campaigns, and stringent caps on individual campaign contributions. (I also think that Representative terms should be boosted to 4 years, Senators to 8 years, and all Federal elections should be coincide on those exact same 4 year intervals, and there should be a national election holiday.)
(Used to be LordofGlobox)
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

Yeah, thankfully the FCC seems to have broken that blockade; to some extent, anyway.

The _(2014) link isn't working, and I can't figure out how to get it to work.

On the plus side, Seattle has just voted for publicly-financed elections, and Ohio has just overwhelmingly banned gerrymandering. Still an incredibly long way to go.
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
GoldenRishi
Vortininja

Post by GoldenRishi »

KeenEmpire wrote:Yeah, thankfully the FCC seems to have broken that blockade; to some extent, anyway.

The _(2014) link isn't working, and I can't figure out how to get it to work.

On the plus side, Seattle has just voted for publicly-financed elections, and Ohio has just overwhelmingly banned gerrymandering. Still an incredibly long way to go.
Seattle voted for publicly-financed elections? That's f'ing awesome!

Yeah, I hope more states ban gerrymandering. That alone, I believe, will keep Ohio largely blue for 2020-2030 (I believe it only lasts one redistricting cycle, but it may end up being made permanent, I suspect). Outside of the rural areas, as you would predict anyways, I sort of expert Ohio to stay blue for a while. What's amazing is that by 2030 or so, Texas will start becoming a blue state if hispanics continue to vote for the Democrats.

We'll see if the soon-to-be voting block (the kids in middle/high school now) has different political leaning than the millennials, but if their generation continues the left-wing trend, then America will be trending seriously to the left, and the era of Reaganomics can be a distasteful spectacle in America's rear-view mirror. And candidates like Bernie Sanders will be taken seriously from the outset.
(Used to be LordofGlobox)
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Played 2051
Genie didn't guess Keen the first three times though..
Last edited by troublesomekeen on Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:33, edited 1 time in total.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
mortimer
Blistering Barnacles

Post by mortimer »

:garg :garg :garg :garg :garg
Last edited by mortimer on Sun Jul 12, 2020 20:52, edited 1 time in total.
Billions of blue blistering barnacles in a thousand thundering typhoons!
SupFanat
Vortininja

Post by SupFanat »

I have a special dream. Would you like to understand it?
I find that every weather looks extremely beautiful. Really, even including such "boring" kinds of weather as overcast and fog. Believe or not but I love for example overcast snowy winter night with light pollution in a city. It doesn't even get dark at such night!

But I also love sunny summer day.

Now think about my idea...
Virtual Reality timelapse of every single day from 00:00 UTC to 23:59 UTC.

If rhis dream comes true, I'd be able to compare snowy winter day with sunny summer day. Such comparison should look extremely beautiful. Really!
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

okay? Let's make it on the virtualboy! :D
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

troublesomekeen wrote:Image
Played 2051
Genie didn't guess Keen the first three times though..
Now get him to guess Mortimer.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Kate
Vortininja

Post by Kate »

SupFanat wrote: If rhis dream comes true, I'd be able to compare snowy winter day with sunny summer day. Such comparison should look extremely beautiful. Really!
Man, come to visit. Here the weather is crazy! Yesterday was fog and rain, and this night so much snow fell, that you can make snowmen and go for the Christmas tree already. :p
Last edited by Kate on Wed Nov 25, 2015 15:51, edited 2 times in total.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

I've only been in snow for about 50 minutes of my life, but that weather doesn't sound crazy to me.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Kate
Vortininja

Post by Kate »

Fog and rain in November is not normal.
Well, maybe "crazy" is not best word, but if you like contrasts in weather, then you definitely will like it.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

You can, you know, put each picture on a different row.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

wiivn wrote:You can, you know, put each picture on a different row.
I thought this laid out quite nicely.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

I love snow.

Snow makes me nostalgic about Keen1.

And Keen1 makes me nostalgic about snow.