How did you find Keen?

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
Kate
Vortininja

Post by Kate »

I can't remember how old I was. A friend of my parents brought them computer. And sometimes, when he came to visit, he was bringing a game to my older sister and me as a treat.
There were a lot of good games, but there was one problem - I could not understand a single word in English. :dead
So one day I saw my sister playing Commander Keen 6 (I think I was about 7 years old) she explained to me controls and we started to play it through. Also there were part 5 in the next folder. We played it too.
Then computer was broken. :( Friend of parents brought us a new one, but it was working with windows.
And now, many years later, I remember about this game because of my work. It's a huge pharmaceutical warehouse and it looks like mixture of levels from Tomb Raider II, Postal office in Shachihata from OFF and Omegamatic.
And I was like - I'm in heaven :love - and than - This all reminds me of that game from childhood :confused What was it called? Comander...Ke...Keen? I think that right.
Then I downloaded 5 and 6 parts and DosBox.
Then I realized that I can finally read all that is written in there. And like - Wow it even have a story...good story) - and download anthology 1-10 and discovered that parts from 7 to 10 are not official.
So I found the community.
And I am very happy that such a good game is not abandoned and there are so many people who remember and love it.*wiped a tear*
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

It really is wonderful to hear these stories because they resonate so strongly with everyone here. And I am so glad that there is still an influx of fervent Keeners into the community even now. It really speaks in favour of the community being alive and strong in 2063.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Well yes, assuming we survive the space frog war.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Levellass wrote:Well yes, assuming we survive the space frog war.
Space frogs? I'll bring my space flies.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Just keep them zipped.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

...but not around my space-unmentionables.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
LieutenantGreg
Meep

Post by LieutenantGreg »

I don't rember exactly how I found it, but I remember playing Keen 4 in DOS on my first family computer! Of course back when I had to use a joystick, which made it so much harder.

I would totally forget about it till years later. I probably tried to remember the nane years before finally finding it again a few years ago.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Heh, I totally forgot you could use a joystick. Why couldn't you use a keyboard? Keyboard with limited consecutive button presses?

Also, welcome to the PCKF :)
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
LieutenantGreg
Meep

Post by LieutenantGreg »

LOL I didn't realize you could use a keyboard for video games back then. I was only like 6-7 at the time.

Thanks btw!
Last edited by LieutenantGreg on Sun Oct 04, 2015 23:07, edited 1 time in total.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I found it on ID's site.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
krivulak
Grunt

Post by krivulak »

Back in the year 1999 I was three years old and my dad brought our very first computer. He got it from town hall, they were sorting out inventory and they were selling not used stuff. So my dad bought that for something like 100 bucks back in the day (3000 CZK), what was SUPER MUCH, but he didn't know that. It was 386sx (@20MHz, 6Mb RAM, no soundcard) with keyboard, mouse and display (Today still fully functional and it is used everyday by my grandma).
And my uncle was working with computer longer then my dad, he started on Amiga and in that time he had Pentium, so he had lots of games already. And he gave my dad our first games. Commander Keen 1,4,6, Wolfenstein 3D, Secret Agent, Crystal Caves and Dyna Blaster. That was the time I started to love games. (Also he gave me a copy of Keen Dreams, but it had graphical glitches, which I solved three weeks ago :D )
In year 2011 I got copies of CK 2, 3 and 5 (thanks, internet!) and carried it over to my 386 computer, still a lot of fun and I play each of the CK series every weekend when I go visit grandma! :D
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

krivulak wrote:Today still fully functional and it is used everyday by my grandma
Good stuff.

Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

back in the day my father bought some fresh keen-diskettes, with the excuse they were for me. shortly we both got addicted to the story. we even forgot to eat. mom wasn't amused at all but we couldn't help it. we were just marooned on Mars...
:yorp
I can still remember being stuck at a specific point of the game. struggling around and trying it all over again, without any success I had fallen asleep. while dreaming the solution came to my mind. the next morning and totally excited I woke my father to boot the 386, and finally we succeeded.

how time flies!
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

I'm impressed you actually came up with a real-world solution in your sleep!

Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

yupp, yupp, yupp!
are you not familiar with such sudden inspirations? have you never experienced things like this? solving problems while dreaming I mean.
It's a blessing, especially when you have a hard time finding answers to some major issues.

but sometimes I have some genius dreams which let think that I'm the master brain of the universe. partly awake I'm writing everything down so I can follow this brilliant thoughts in the morning. but of course I'm more than astonished by reading something unique like: "man kisses women, don't forget!"
wow, such an oracle!