meat or veggie

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.

Which do you love?

Meat
43%
Veggie
57%

Total votes: 21

Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

I find the same thing: The anti-tell-everyone-you-are-a-vegan and I-am-a-bacon-meat-eater-if-you-don't-like-go-back-where-you-came-from people in my circles are far more vocal than any vegans I know.

:redeyes

:O

PSIAMTYPINGTHISONALINUXCOMPUTER

:bloody
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Commander Spleen wrote:I find the same thing: The anti-tell-everyone-you-are-a-vegan and I-am-a-bacon-meat-eater-if-you-don't-like-go-back-where-you-came-from people in my circles are far more vocal than any vegans I know.
Sadly, most vegans/vegeterians I meet are the vocal ones who rub it in your face :(
My family is used to making special food arrangements for specific diets, but gargeeeblz some people's attitude...
vegan? ok
meat? ok
Just don't rub it in others faces [/ranty rant rant]
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Can you give an example of such a situation where you were lectured by a vegan or vegetarian? I've never seen it happen.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Please pardon the paraphrasing, but it basically goes like this:

(start of conversation gets turned to food related subjects)
Other person: Are you a vegan?
Me: No, I'm not even vegetarian, I eat meat.
Other: Why would you do such a cruel thing? It's unhealthy and the way farmers treat meat animals is inhuman! I can't believe you would support them.

^That basically sums up most of the things I hear, it varies depending on the person, but the majority of their arguments are against me "supporting animal cruelty" and I will "Die from it" I also personally know the farmers we get some of our meat from and I honestly don't see anything they refer to. Maybe it's just the variety of vegans we have? I run into some interesting people tbh.

[Edit:] The other camp, which is probably closer to what you're thinking for "Rubbing in face" versus "Attacking" mostly just act smug and condescending and are most likely just vegan because it's trendy:

O: Do you eat vegan?
M: No...
O: Well you should, We shouldn't support those people because (insert reasons above)
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

MoffD wrote:Other person: Are you a vegan?
Me: No, I'm not even vegetarian, I eat meat.
Other: Why would you do such a cruel thing? It's unhealthy and the way farmers treat meat animals is inhuman! I can't believe you would support them.
I know a person like that and have had a conversation like this before. We're still good friends. :pig
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Benvolio wrote: But not a chance will I go veggie! I will eat my veggies, by all means, but a good steak or burger, or sunday roast lamb, are just out of this world.
You monster!

"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Going back to my mention of lentils. Not sure if this is a thing outside my country, but I love this thing we simply call "sour lentils". Boil 'em > add lightly roasted onions, a bit of savory and some flour to thicken it up > stir a lot > add sugar, salt and vinegar 'till it's perfect.
It's probably a bit of an acquired taste and not the most beneficial from a nutritional standpoint either (sugar and flour add a lot of extra carbs) and definitely not something you'd gasp at in culinary awe, but damn do I love it.
Goes together perfectly with sausages, hardboiled eggs (which I don't like) and pickles.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Nospike wrote:definitely not something you'd gasp at in culinary awe
Wrong. Sounds delicious. I'm looking forward to making it, though maybe without the sugar. Thanks!
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Keening_Product wrote:
Nospike wrote:definitely not something you'd gasp at in culinary awe
Wrong. Sounds delicious. I'm looking forward to making it, though maybe without the sugar. Thanks!
A bit of sugar will probably be necessary to bring out the right flavor, but hey - go ahead and experiment, if you don't like it your way, you can always add it later. :) Glad you're interested.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Edward Cullen is vegetarian.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Rorie
Tru-Blu Aussie Born & Bred

Post by Rorie »

My Sister's Vegan and boy is she fussy over certain foods, if you were in prison as punishment for a crime, you wouldn't expect taxpayers to treat you like if you were staying in a five star hotel, besides certain livestock is raised to be used as food, you all should be grateful for having food on your plate regardless of where it is from, are you going to be grateful for having a meal or are you going to cry over your mashed spuds?, ignore what those dickheads from PETA claim that eating meat is supporting murder, that statement is garg and every sensible person knows that, PERIOD!
If you can't change the rules, challenge them, rules are made to be broken
Up yours Fleexy!
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Rorie wrote:My Sister's Vegan and boy is she fussy over certain foods, if you were in prison as punishment for a crime, you wouldn't expect taxpayers to treat you like if you were staying in a five star hotel, besides certain livestock is raised to be used as food, you all should be grateful for having food on your plate regardless of where it is from, are you going to be grateful for having a meal or are you going to cry over your mashed spuds?, ignore what those dickheads from PETA claim that eating meat is supporting murder, that statement is garg and every sensible person knows that, PERIOD!
I... actually quite agree. :)

Although if someone feels bad about it, if it's within your power you obviously want to accomodate your guest food preference.
Rorie
Tru-Blu Aussie Born & Bred

Post by Rorie »

MoffD wrote:
Rorie wrote:My Sister's Vegan and boy is she fussy over certain foods, if you were in prison as punishment for a crime, you wouldn't expect taxpayers to treat you like if you were staying in a five star hotel, besides certain livestock is raised to be used as food, you all should be grateful for having food on your plate regardless of where it is from, are you going to be grateful for having a meal or are you going to cry over your mashed spuds?, ignore what those dickheads from PETA claim that eating meat is supporting murder, that statement is garg and every sensible person knows that, PERIOD!
I... actually quite agree. :)

Although if someone feels bad about it, if it's within your power you obviously want to accomodate your guest food preference.
Here in Victoria

We once had a jew serving time in one of our correctional facilitates who was really giving the taxpayer a ride, first he wasn't going to eat food unless it was kosher and then he was going to sue the state for not meeting his diet preference, let's not forget that when you're a convict, you are there for rehabilitation, not in a five star hotel, you either accept what you are given or you simply shut the hell up!
If you can't change the rules, challenge them, rules are made to be broken
Up yours Fleexy!
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

I've certainly come across the types of vegan who need to proclaim they're vegans - when no food is in sight and nobody is even thinking of offering it, and no plans for going out to dine. The only reason I can think for it - and I have tried to - is that they haven't gotten over the guilt of eating meat before their transition. The guilt, I for sure cannot understand: I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't give a **** about the matter. I don't even see the difference between non-human animals and plants. What is it? Different types of cells? To me - animals and plants alike - are unconscious, lifeless, and in any case about to face extermination (in my views, of course - climate change, nuclear wars, dust clouds to block the sun etc :mort :goth).

maybe it's just something to say, like talking garg about politics, economy, etc.

Edit: Voted veggie because of potato crisps and candy, the only things I care to eat. Yay for being ten again. 8)
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
BlueGasMask
Vorticon Elite

Post by BlueGasMask »

People who argue that you can't get unhealthy vegan food have clearly never consumed the beautiful oil drenched gift that is spring rolls.