Galaxer1 (Keen 4-6 terrain editor / level building aid)

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Galaxer1 (Keen 4-6 terrain editor / level building aid)

Post by KeenRush »

At long last, I did a project I've for long thought about: a terrain editor for newer Keens. It should be mentioned that this editor is very simple, but it should be usable. The readme.txt in the zip will answer many questions but you can ask them here too if you have any. I hope you'll give it a try, it's kinda neat even if I say so myself. :dopekeen

Download here:
http://keenrush.shikadi.net/galaxer1.zip
Export all files to a folder somewhere. Move EasyAslev.aex to Abiathar's folder (more about this in the readme.txt).

Here are some screens to show what I mean.

This is the workmode. Here you place symbols (that are most of them black shapes) to create the level terrain.

Then you hit Return... And you see the level rendered according to the terrain rules.

Then you export it (press F6) and you can load it in Abiathar and edit further. Etc.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
keenmaster486
Vorticon Elite

Post by keenmaster486 »

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESS!!!!! :D :D :D :D
MWA HA HA HA HA HAAA! :evil :evil
FEEEEEEL THE POWER!

As you can tell, I'm excited.

This is great! We really are entering a new era in Keen modding / fangames.
Should this be concatenated into Abiathar?
I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

sweet honey pie!
I'm gonna give it a try.
out now (link) : Image
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Yes! That's great work Keenrush! I also have been thinking about similar editor abilities since I've tried Lode Runner Legend Returns editor or even before that. So I'm glad that finally is happening.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Woah, that's amazing! I'll definitely write more about this after I've used it more. Until then, a little tip:

To paste the level data more easily in Abiathar, I'd recommend disabling non-zero paste mode on the Paster. You can do that by pressing Enter. (That mode isn't super apparent, but it is mentioned in the contextual help for the tool.) The tool state text in the bottom right tells you whether the Paster is in non-zero paste mode or not. When it's not, blank tiles will be able to overwrite non-blank tiles.

Also, yes, you do need to click the Unblock button in the Properties of the AEX file if your browser adds the Zone.Identifier tag. (.NET refuses to load assemblies that have that tag.) I'll try to remove that hurdle in the next Abiathar version.

Speaking of Abiathar, we could put together some tighter integration, if you'd like. In fact, I think I could just monitor for changes to the .GL1 file from the AEX and automatically re-import it without creating extra levels. How to handle in-Abiathar changes would require a design decision, but I think I could implement any scheme you choose.
keenmaster486
Vorticon Elite

Post by keenmaster486 »

I like this more the more I use it. Made a small level in less than five minutes, with minimal effort- yes! Just the right tool for lazy people like me. :p
This really needs to be brought past the "demo" stage - like, tomorrow :begging
I love it. Please add menus! I want to make levels with this so bad.

Pictures of the level I made coming as soon as I can make the image function work on this forum... frustrating.
I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

keenmaster486 wrote:[...] Pictures of the level I made coming as soon as I can make the image function work on this forum... frustrating.
esay! you just need a place to upload your stuff, plus take a look over here for implementing: BBCode: Adding an image to a post
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Thanks for the comments, everyone. I hope people will find some use for this.

@Fleexy: Sounds good, definitely. I'll put on my thinking cap. But it's going to be a while before I get back to this stuff - I'll be focusing on some other stuff right now.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Tormentor667
Vortininja

Post by Tormentor667 »

Putting this into Abiathar is the right way to go :)
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

oh this tool is really cute.
you might wanna add some buttons or indicators for that short cuts you've implemented. as this tool is for making things easier this shouldn't be missing.
here is a proposal:

Last edited by Nisaba on Mon Oct 22, 2018 23:20, edited 1 time in total.
Mobiethian
Vortininja

Post by Mobiethian »

This is great! I'll be putting it to use at some point. Thank you!
chrissifniotis
Vorticon Elite

Post by chrissifniotis »

That there looks like an excellent gateway program into proper Keen modding. I'm getting this for myself! :D
Nisaba
Janitress

Re: Galaxer1 (Keen 4-6 terrain editor / level building aid)

Post by Nisaba »