Commander Keen: the comic strip

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Sciz CT
Council Janitor

Post by Sciz CT »

Thank goodness for extra lives.
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

Sorry. :(

At first, when I was younger, I figured Mort had to be an adult of some kind--but the plot text in Keen3 said that he gave Billy swirlies and bullied him, so he had to be a kid close to Billy's age...

The enemy Morts in my game were "Android Dummies," reminiscent of the Keen3 finale... didn't mean to cause confusion.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Was he (or 'they') really depicted like that in Xky's mod? I've never thought of them bigger and older the numerous times I've played it.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Djaser
Holy Monk Yorp

Post by Djaser »

XkyRauh wrote:Sorry. :(

At first, when I was younger, I figured Mort had to be an adult of some kind--but the plot text in Keen3 said that he gave Billy swirlies and bullied him, so he had to be a kid close to Billy's age...

The enemy Morts in my game were "Android Dummies," reminiscent of the Keen3 finale... didn't mean to cause confusion.
I like yor vision but it does show how big the effect of fan fiction sometimes can be.
Aaaah, not the bees!
Mort
Vortininja

Post by Mort »

Galaxieretter wrote:Actually... I drew a picture once that looks... VERY similar to the "Mortimer holding a Martini" picture. I DO like how you show Mort though. I never imagined him being... strong-er but I guess he would have to be to whip his lackies into shape.
I hate to say this, but I honestly didn't consciously intend Mortimer to look big n' burly. It just kind of turned out that way. I think it's because I was trying to draw the muscle structure in the arms. Actually, if you look at some of the early comics with Keen, he has more defined arms too -- specifically strip 004 -- sort of. More recently I've just been drawing the old cartoon-standby "stick" arms. Also, I think it's because in that strip with Mort, I had to draw a bend in the knee since he's sitting down and thus had to make a more defined upper and lower leg -- making him look that much bigger.

I'll have to draw a side-by-side sketch of Keen and Mort just to get their designs straitened out.
Galaxieretter wrote:I LOVE this new comic though. It's just amazing, especially the first pannel. Although I think the vorticon's head looks... interesting to say the least. It's like he has no jaw, or chin. It just goes into his neck.
Thanks! I know exactly what you are saying about his lower jaw being part of his neck (actually, I know some people like that), and it wasn't originally part of my plan (check this out for alternative designs I was playing with... namely the ones on the left). But after scrutinizing the actual Vorticons from the game [link] I realized that the mouth did go into the neck. Obviously I could have deviated my design, but I've had the idea in my head that I want to stick relatively closely to the originals if possible... for better or worse.
KeenRush wrote:Hmmm, do you necessarily have to follow the game story line? Or could you have something separate strips that don't follow the current story line? I'd really like to see more of him. Oh well.
I don't HAVE to stick to the storyline obviously, but I want to for two reasons. First is I want to create something that fills in some blanks in the game's story so if you are playing the game you can say... "Okay, so this is what happens at this point according to the comic strip." The other reason is -- sadly enough -- it's just easier to follow a pre-set story.

Of course, as with this latest comic, I'm trying to make it so that following the story doesn't necessarily mean it will be totally predictable. And I plan on having a few flashbacks so that will give even more opportunities to deviate.

Anyway, we'll see.. You never know...
Djaser wrote:Are you planning to follow the story line from all Keen games up till 6? Tht woudl be quite a project.
That of course is the PLAN, but I somehow doubt it'll come to pass in full. Actually in a perfect world I'd go through episode 6 and then finish off the last trilogy "The Universe is Toast" with my own story. But consider this: If I follow the plan for this first episode there would be around 150 strips (I don't have my outline in front of me at the moment so that's an approximation), and that right now I'm averaging about a strip per week ... well, you do the math.

I'd also like to start up my own original comic strip at some point and work on that parallel to this one. That and I have ... you know ... a job and stuff...

So suffice to say that I'll work on this for as long as I can because it's just an unholy load of fun doing. That and it's fun to see people who like reading it as much as I like drawing it.

[edit: Added the last two parts about the story.]
Mort
Vortininja

strip #018

Post by Mort »

Click to see larger version...

This probably wasn't entirely necessary, but I couldn't resist. :P

To be continued...

[Edit: Removed "Yorp".]
Last edited by Mort on Sat Nov 10, 2007 16:38, edited 1 time in total.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

First the countless barf jokes, and now this :crazy :lol
NTimer
Grunt

Post by NTimer »

The poor Yorp... :yorp
But very good Comic! :lol
Mort
Vortininja

Post by Mort »

CK Guy wrote:First the countless barf jokes, and now this :crazy :lol
Tu chez.. :evil
Nickssoft
Vortininja

Post by Nickssoft »

You need to post this on the 3drealms forums or submit it to them, IM sure they would love it :birthday
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

Oh that's just wrong...

And funny at the same time.
"Check out the red marker... it smells like cherries."
memsys
Vortininja

Post by memsys »

^ +1
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Our hero has truly been disgraced! :mortlol
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Djaser
Holy Monk Yorp

Post by Djaser »

From now on Keen is rated R.
Aaaah, not the bees!
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

An R rating for a scene involving urine? That's a bit extreme. :crazy

It's amusing to see the multiple-lives thing factored into a comic. Well done.