Keen Clone

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

I don't have a release for you, but some good news for those who were missing that.

Prepare your tune, because CKP will be able to play music while you play and adapt them to the levels.

Yeah, I'm talking about version 0.2

With the latest fixed bugs and music it will be great.

Please be patient!
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

-Sound effects play too quickly in stereo mode
What do you mean with too quickly? Just a little bit or like the double, more or much more. I don't have that problem here. I will compare the sounds against the original Keen in the dosbox. Maybe I understand, what you mean.
-Pogoing on a yorp doesn't make you stop pogoing like it should
Yep. You are right. I didn't remember that in the original version.
Fixed for the next release.
-Turning the pogo off right as you hit the ground still bounces you back up
Fixed! He jumps a bit, but won't bounce back up.
-The ceiling height is too high, which makes it possible to do stuff like this:
Hahaha. Nice Screenshot! I thought you could do that in the original version, so I let some space left. So, this is fixed too. You will now bonk at the ceiling.

All fixes will be included in the next release. I'm still working on the implementation of music and of course better sound. This still lacks a bit so far.
Sciz CT
Council Janitor

Post by Sciz CT »

gerstrong wrote:What do you mean with too quickly? Just a little bit or like the double, more or much more. I don't have that problem here. I will compare the sounds against the original Keen in the dosbox. Maybe I understand, what you mean.
Just a bit, maybe 25% or so. It's mostly only obvious for the longer effects, like dying or beating a level. If I can get Vista to let me record the internal audio mix, I'll try and post a sample.

Also:

-There's no sound effect for collecting the pogo.
-Yorp collision needs work. Walking directly into one just halts your progress and plays the sound effect repeatedly, rather than bouncing you back as it should.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

3 new bugs

Post by gerstrong »

I have completed the music support, so know that I'm about to release the next version.

However, before I do that, I still want to test it before.

@Sciz CT: I will check your 3 remaining bugs of the last post and try to fix them before I release the new version. 0.2 should be something special. So I'm taking a bit more time.

@all: Please send me more bugs you find so we can fix them and make a great port of CK!
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

How does the music work, exactly? Is there like some sort of index file that tells the game which song to play in which levels? Or something better?
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Music in CKP

Post by gerstrong »

@genius314: Hey, don't read my mind! Yes, indeed. The music will be included in the hqp pack with the high quality sound and there will be a text file which is read and assigns the track for every level. What would you make better? I only was think about something like cross-fading, but this will be in later release and only if fans want that.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Better Musics

Post by gerstrong »

However, I'm still looking for someone who can help creating new tracks. The HQP will have the tracks of Zidane, but I think the 3 episodes deserve other tracks that fit to the game.

Maybe someone has an idea what to do. That would incredibly improve the atmosphere of the game.
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

I don't have anything better.
I was just curious how this would work. Because now modders can release soundtracks for their games! :D (right?)

EDIT: Also, I have a few MIDIs (and some MP3s) of some sorta Keen-ish tunes I made a while ago.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

I was just curious how this would work. Because now modders can release soundtracks for their games! Grin (right?)
Yep
EDIT: Also, I have a few MIDIs (and some MP3s) of some sorta Keen-ish tunes I made a while ago.
New tunes for CK 1-3 would be really great. Let's see, what will come
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

@Sciz CT: Yorp bugs has been fixed, and taking the pogo can be heard again. All will be included in version 0.2

About the sound I still don't know how to check it.

Did you mean HQ Sound or the classical sound which is played too fast?

You were in stereo mode. What rate did you have? 48Khz or 44 Khz.

You can check this in the options menu.
Sciz CT
Council Janitor

Post by Sciz CT »

It's using the classic sounds, since data/hqp/ is empty. 48Khz, since it doesn't remember if I set it to 22.5 or 44.1.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Fine

Post by gerstrong »

This bug is also fixed. In less than two hours, I'm going to release the bright new 0.2 version. You will see it, when my Web-Page has changed. I'm preparing an announce.

So stay tuned. This version has music support and the hq pack update will of course ship those tunes. Of course, you all know the tunes, but they are the best I got.

And it is more fun. I really like it... ;-)

Remember: For music, you will need the HQ Pack or put your own tunes in data/hqp/music with a config file (included in HQ Pack).
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

New Version

Post by gerstrong »

Version 0.2 released.

Maybe it is not what you waited for, but it is a big jump from version v0.1 comparing to how it was before all the modifications we made.

Many thanks to all of you for supporting me with bugs all the time.

CKP has grown to great project, and I see a bright future in it.

Did I mention that one of my milestones is to support Keen 4-6 and Dreams?

It will come. Let the time decide when ;-)
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Mayor

Post by gerstrong »

As version 0.2 is out now, I'm fixing some bugs so I can release one with less logical errors. Something like 0.2.0.1, and so on. Maybe I release it today. Some enemies are a bit better handled and some Levels of Ep 3 and Mods are better loaded (Fall bug).

I'm moving towards version 0.3 and I want to ask the community for wishes and suggestions.

So please vote for what would you like to see until 0.3.

Check this link out to vote!

https://pckf.rigeltechnical.com/viewtopic.php?t=519
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Update

Post by gerstrong »

CloneKeenPlus Update

There is another version of CloneKeenPlus. This time with better physics!

Version 0.2.1

get it!