[v2.11.3] Abiathar: The superior Keen Galaxy editor

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Re: [v2.8.5] Abiathar: The superior Keen Galaxy editor

Post by Fleexy »

Abiathar can handle tileinfo too.

If you set up your project to always use the default tileinfo, you'll need to adjust its settings before you can use that feature. Open Edit | Project Settings. Click Next until you reach the TIleinfo Source step. Choose "Create or load a separate tileinfo file." Click Next to get the Tileinfo File screen. Type a name for the tileinfo file in the top box (the default is fine) and choose "Include the original game's tileinfo" to start from the defaults. Once you complete the wizard, Abiathar reloads your project, now with the ability to edit tileinfo.

Once your project is set up, you can use the Tile Property Modifier tool. This is a tileset tool, so you need a tile palette visible to see it on the Tools menu. (It works on the background and foreground planes.) When it starts, a window appears. You can use this window to set the behavior of the selected tile. Changes are automatically remembered when you close the TPM window or select a different tile. The TPM has many modes; to read about them all, activate Help | Contextual.

Abiathar automatically writes the patches to make the game see the new tileinfo. Just use File | Generate Patches and you're ready to go.
Bubzrulz
Vortininja

Post by Bubzrulz »

Ok i got it working one more question is there a tool that lets you see hidden areas paths in abiathar much like Y F10 in game so u can see easier what you have and need to modify to get to a point
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

yes there is. simply press B or navigate your way to view --> tile properties. this will render and visualize the border properties of each tile.
in case of those hidden areas you were talking about, you'll see tiles without any rendered borders.
out now (link) : Image
Bubzrulz
Vortininja

Post by Bubzrulz »

ok now that my much around in abiather sort of gone into a full mod i'd liike to change my tile info file from new.TLI to tiles.rol is this possible or am i stuck with the new.TLI file now is it just as easy as starting a new project and changinging name when it comes to that part then adding in all the exported files and copying patchs over from old project?
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

at the end of your project (before releasing this) you can name this file (and others as well) to what ever you like. just make sure to rename the tileinfo section of your patchfile as well:

Code: Select all

# Tileinfo file
%patchfile $249C2  new.TLI
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

You can change it before release as well. Make a copy of your tileinfo file and give the copy the new name. Use Abiathar's Project Wizard to change your project's tileinfo file (on the Tileinfo File) tab to the new one. Once you save your project after doing that, you can delete the old file.

If you're comfortable editing the ADEPS file directly (advanced), rename the file and update the "TileInfo:" line while Abiathar is closed.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

v2.8.6

Post by Fleexy »

UPDATE
v2.8.6: unmanaged patches, Zip To, and other improvements

The Patches window is less than convenient if you just want to tweak your patch file without firing up a level editor. Now, you can add patches to the designated "unmanaged" section of the .PAT and Abiathar will preserve them even if you do another Generate Patches without adding them to the Patches window. The first time it sees unmanaged patches for a project, it will ask you if you want to add them to the user-generated patches in the Patches window. If you choose to leave them unmanaged but later change your mind, the new tab of the Patches window has a button you can push to reset that choice.

The Inspection Results window now has a Zip To button that places the location of the highlighted issue directly under the mouse cursor if possible. Alternatively, double-click an issue that has a location. You can Zip To an arbitrary location with the Zip To menu under View, or hit the backslash key. To zip back to the last zipping location, hit the backslash, then Enter. The Inspection Results window now has a reasonable tab order.

The tile properties overlay can now highlight "front" foreground tiles if enabled in the overlay's control dialog. Front tiles receive a translucent silhouette, which can be recolored in the config file if you like. Weird inconsistencies in tileinfo overlay opacity have been fixed.

The Path Plotter now shows a live preview as you move the mouse. Generating that is a somewhat expensive operation, so if your computer is too slow to handle that comfortably, you can disable it in the config file.

Extensions are now allowed to add lines to the patch file using a new event bus event.

If an automatic filename for exported images is set, you can export all levels' images at once by holding Control while clicking the appropriate menu item. Errors in Export Image have been fixed.

The extra Tools menu left behind when closing a project with Simultaneous Tileset on is now correctly removed.

The title bar always shows the correct project file name after using Project Settings.

Get the update through the auto-updater, or download ZIP. Future updates will be downloaded over a secure connection from the new Abiathar update repository (abiathar.keenmodding.org/update) instead of from my Dropbox. The VeriMaps utility has also been updated to use the new repository.

Happy modding,

Fleexy
Levellass
S-Triazine

Re: [v2.8.6] Abiathar: The superior Keen Galaxy editor

Post by Levellass »

A very nifty set of additions indeed. Not much else to say is there, it continues to improve.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Nisaba
Janitress

Re: v2.8.6

Post by Nisaba »

wow, what a neat update! very extensively.
  • The displayed project name in the title bar is a big plus.
  • The zip to option is extremely beneficial. it helps a whole lot detecting and spotting issues. the hotkey additions are a nifty feature as well.
    Bug: there is just a problem, when having enumerated errors listed. hitting the zip to button makes the screen jump to a random space, way out of sight. for eg.:
    • Problem Too many tiles animated in [(34,55), (67,98)]
  • The live preview of the path plotter is a neat little feature. unfortunately Abiathar crashes, when choosing this tool while working under a Keen 4 template...
  • Front tiles receive a translucent silhouette. Brilliant! especially if rearranging tilesets or just setting up one own's.
  • YES! Mass export for levels' images, and double yes for automatic file naming. (only an option to export sprites as well could top this)

the Wiki is now up to date as well --> shikadi.net/keenwiki/Abiathar
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Re: [v2.8.6] Abiathar: The superior Keen Galaxy editor

Post by Fleexy »

Thanks for the bug reports! It's really helpful to get ones that are so specific; it's much easier to hunt down problems when I know exactly when they occur.

UPDATE
v2.8.7: fixing some things from last time

The Level Inspector region-associated (as opposed to single-point-associated) warnings were not going to the right coordinates. They now put the cursor in the center of the identified region.

The Path Plotter no longer crashes when used on a project that doesn't have paths enabled. It's also a little faster now, as are the other tools that use the translucent preview.

When run as a Windows PE shell, Abiathar now allows removable drives to hold the configuration file.

The New Project Wizard should be a tiny bit faster to open.

You can get the change with the auto-updater (now using the new update server!) or download ZIP.

Happy modding!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Re: [v2.8.7] Abiathar: The superior Keen Galaxy editor

Post by Levellass »

Very nice, it's always neat to see code made sleeker.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

gonna check this version soon, reports will follow...
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

hell yeah, abiathar is fast! nice!

I can't ferret out any bugs at the moment.
But I have two little suggestions:
  1. lately I'm using your Resource Accountant tool quite often to update the keen wiki. it is helpful to have all points added together, BUT I'd love to have some information on the quantity of each and every point item. like so:
    • 5x 100 points = 500
      17x 200 points = 3400
      8x 500 points = 4000
      and so on...
  2. I don't get the Tile Instance Remapper tool. May I ask you kindly to make an explanatory video tutorial!?
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

I've been using this tool for quite a while, and I can say that it's really nice. ;) I love the features it has, especially the export image thing and the option to reveal tile properties. Though, I'd love to see a cut feature and a way to delete rows and columns (in the middle of the level) get added into this tool. Also, what Nisaba said about the Resource Accountant would be nice to have too. Having those features would make things a lot easier. It's still pretty solid, though.
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Quinton wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2017 22:28Having those features would make things a lot easier.
I'm happy to report that Abiathar does currently have some of the features you're looking for. :) The Row Adjuster and Column Adjuster can delete rows and columns, respectively, by right-clicking. (The row/column under the mouse gets zapped - you might want to enable the Grid.) They even update links! The Copier has a cut mode: if you end the selection with a right-click or do the selection by right-dragging, the copied tiles in the active planes will be zeroed. Relatedly, the Paster has a blot mode: right-click to zero out an area the size of the clipboard instead of pasting. I'll look into the feasibility of extending the Resource Accountant. Thanks for the notes!