How do you record and edit gameplay videos?

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

How do you record and edit gameplay videos?

Post by KeenRush »

I keep getting confused with all the video technology, so let's have this topic once more. When you record, say, mod playing footage, do you use DosBox's record video functionality? And what (free) tool (on Windows) would allow me most easily to cut parts of a video and simply paste them at the end of another? With frame perfect accuracy. I hope to make some speedrunnish playthrough videos of my favourite mods (XkyKeens, Save Spot!, Morticore, etc) and some not so pleasant things, such as the notorious Xky1tuned levels which I just recently played and it was an afternoon of pure torture.

I did a video of myself playing Episode Smile long ago using that method but as I recall it was tedious and I'm sure there are better tools or ways than I had back then. (And I have no memory what programs I used. If I remember right it included something where I had to write exact frame numbers into a script file of some kind...)
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Re: How do you record and edit gameplay videos?

Post by troublesomekeen »

This is a frustration. :x
I have a few youtube channels. The one I use for Keen-related uploads is:
https://www.youtube.com/breakdownhouse
I've uploaded 6 videos recently (because of Keen day). I'm not sure if the pixel-perfect quality is there yet, but it looks good to me for now.

If I'm not using DosBox to record, I go with screen-recording software. I used to use HyperCam but now I use Bandicam. Sadly, it's not free, and the trial version is annoying. My version of Windows did not come with Windows Movie Maker, so I use VideoPad Video Editor if I need to make any edits. It's an NCH product. They make a bunch of silly programs that they always pester you to buy. Is it free? I'm not sure. I use VideoPad v2.41, which initially was a trial-version but I downgraded to the free version, losing the option to output video in .flv but avi does the job for me. VideoPad can't handle super long video clips, but it's much more stable than Windows Movie Maker.

VideoPad can go frame-by-frame, but you have to zoom in on the footage all the way, and then it becomes unworkable, because you're zoomed in and can't see anything. But you can get good cuts with it. I made it look as if 7 levels of Keen Extinction was completed without losing a life: https://youtu.be/wfT_09q3rwc

There needs to be a lightweight video editing program out there that just works.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

'Edit?' What is this 'Edit' of which you speak?
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Zilem
Vortininja

Post by Zilem »

I think most use Fraps or DXtory (I think Totalbiscuit and i Think have mentioned both)
But i don't know how well they hock up to Dosbox...
else there is the option for a device that capture the digital output trough the Video output

I do recall Windows Movie maker being slow and not that stable when i used Windows XP
but on a system that i pretty much just use for Harddrive cloning (build it 10 years ago, retired it 5 years ago)
but since it have Windows XP on a SSD (a small 60GB) Windows movie maker seem very stable, and didn't lockup on me
(If it ware not for the Ram cap of 4GB in 4 slots on the motherboard, it would still be capable today with due to the CPU in it)
troublesomekeen wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:46 There needs to be a lightweight video editing program out there that just works.
I feel like the Polar opposite. more then capable Systems for heavy workloads, but severe Social anxiety...
The Difference Between a Mod and Fan art?, a Fan art is a Concept and a Mod is that Concept put into life.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

ah, that reminds me of my KeenScale attempt. Need to finish that some day...
In short: the easiest way for me is recording in DOSBox via F5 (depending on your Keybindings) and afterwards running a batch script, which upscales the output pixel-perferct. (DOSBox output: 320x200px, after upscaling: for eg. 1280x800px).

pros:
you can tweak with the parameters to your liking

cons:
no easy to GUI, yet. (I know, I know... need to work on that. but my coding skills... garg...)

in a final step I merge my recorded videos + audio recordings (via Audacity) by using MKVToolNix GUI. Technically you can cut and past parts but I need to stress, that this isn't a proper way of manipulating things the way you might have in mind. there is no visual feedback until everything is merged. what you can simply do is adding something like a pre-recorded intro to the very beginning of your footage. what you cannot do is some crazy stuff like seen in Final Cut Pro X, Premiere Pro CC, Magix Pro X & co. However there are some free alternative solutions to these pro tools, like: Shortcut or Hitfilm Express.
so it depends on what you have in mind! (for simple tasks just use my script)
Nisaba wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2016 22:51 another way to upscale your videos is using FFmpeg. I favour this over VirtualDub & Co cause you can choose and customize the parameters more precise for your own needs. besides that it is the best way of keeping it pixel perfect without any artifacts.
also this method is cross platform but therefor without a GUI (you have to use the CMD if you are on Windows, for Mac and Linux it is the Terminal).

For Windows users:
  • 1. Download the FFmpeg here
  • 2. run the included Batch-file
  • 3. implement and add the following parameters.

Code: Select all

ffmpeg -i in.avi -sws_flags neighbor+full_chroma_inp -s 1280x800 -r 30 -vcodec libx264 -crf 20 -acodec libmp3lame -aq 2 -f mp4 out.mp4
  • 4.a) Change the parameter in.avi to the path where DosBox saves its video recodings. by default this is C:\Users\YOUR-USERNAME\AppData\Local\DOSBox\capture\keen4e_001.avi
  • 4.b) Change the parameter out.mp4 the a path of your choice.
  • 5. Press Enter and wait until the upscaling is done (speed depends on you hardware equipment though)
    Of course you can just save all those within an own Batch-routine if you wish.
Some general Parameter explanation:
  • in.avi - - > name and path of the source video you recorded with DosBox
  • out.mp4 - - > is the name of your upscaled and muxed output container.
  • 1280x800 - - > the output solution in pixel. I recommend to use multiples of 320x200 (for eg. 640x400, 960x600, 1280x800...)
  • sws_flags - - > controls the software scale
  • neighbor+full_chroma_inp - - > lets the scaler perform nearest neighbor interpolation and forces it to take the full input chroma resolution into account
  • -r 30 - - > the output frame rate
  • -vcodec libx264 - - > determines the video encoder
  • -acodec libmp3lame -aq 2 - - > codec for a variable bitrate mp3 stream
super easy, super effective as long as you are not afraid of using some command-lines.
out now (link) : Image
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Thanks, everyone. I can't believe how difficult this seems to be. All I need is a program where I might choose location in footage, go backwards or forwards frame by frame, then select from that point and go to end point and copy and then paste at the end of another file. No need for effects or transitions. I'll have to keep searching -- there's gotta be a simple editor for people who need to do just that and no more... Considering how popular recording games is, for example.

By the way, does it matter if I scale or not? Can't youtube stretch the video properly? Or do you need to have some minimum resolution for one to get uploaded?
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

I personally don't use it but a bunch of people seem to be quite happy with this solution. so you might wanna give this a shot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDeCWSYQrdA

btw: I'm talking about OBS (Open Broadcaster Software)
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

I use OBS and VideoPad. VideoPad isn't quite as convenient/swift as you're looking for, but it is fairly intuitive. I have OBS scale DOSBox up to 720p so that the videos will appear sharply pixellated on YouTube, otherwise the video will look fuzzy at higher resolutions.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I, too, use OBS Studio. All your needs for recording and live streaming are there. It's not hard. You can "Game capture", "Browser capture" or whatever. You just need a few minutes to make a few test recordings and adjustments before you're satisfied with the result. For example, you may want to increase the bitrate for smoother videos. But after you settle this, it's a walk in the park.

As for very easy video editing (cut, copy, paste, sounds editing), if you're willing to pay some small amount, AVS 4 YOU http://www.avs4you.com/ is for you. It's definitely the easiest I've tried and it is with the most intuitive controls I've used. And yes, you can zoom in in the editor's timeline, so you can split exactly where you want your video. You can import another video, copy something from it and paste it in your video. You can do all the stuff you ask for. For your needs it's perfect. On top of that, you also get an easier than Audacity audio editor with plenty of options there too. You also get converter and a bunch of other programs. All in all I'm pretty satisfied with AVS4YOU for the price.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Thanks, y'all. I'll have to consider that AVS thing, I'm willing to shed a few bucks for a good tool.

Question. Is there any particular reason you people use "third-party" software to capture DosBox's video instead of DosBox's native recording function? Is it because of something to do with DosBox's video format?
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

I think it's just the fact that third-party programs allow you to record audio from your mic while also recording the footage and in-game audio. I remember VikingBoyBilly had some trouble syncing his audio commentary with the videos recorded in DOSBox for his BioMenace let's play.

But there's also the fact that the DOSBox videos are recorded in native resolution (320x200) even if DOSBox is displaying the output at 640x400. Using a third-party tool probably means you could capture the video at a higher resolution and upload the video as-is without having to upscale and re-encode it afterwards.

By the way, I used VirtualDub to edit my DOSBox and FRAPS video captures, because it allows me to just cut out stuff at the end of the video without having to re-encode it (if it's set up correctly, that is). It allows you to step through the video frame by frame, so you can select exactly the frame where you want to cut off. Other tools like Windows Movie Maker won't allow you to make such precise cuts no matter how far you zoom into the timeline. If editing ("cutting stuff out") is all you want to do, VirtualDub will do that. But if you want to add fancy effects or expect a fool-proof user interface, this is definitely not what your're looking for.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

The method I use is somewhat convoluted but works for me. I record videos using DOSbox's video functionality, use XMedia Recode to losslessly upscale the video and change the file format to something my editing program can handle, and then use HitFilm Express to make frame-perfect cuts.

Sounds like this is more than you're looking to do but the programs I use are free so if you're interested let me know and I can give you more detailed instructions.
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Flaose wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 19:35 I can give you more detailed instructions.
yes please!
jolinewolfgram
Meep

Post by jolinewolfgram »

In case I'm not utilizing DosBox to record, I go with screen-recording programming. I used to utilize HyperCam however now I use Bandicam. Unfortunately, it's not free, and the preliminary adaptation is irritating. My rendition of Windows didn't accompany Windows Movie Maker, so I use VideoPad Video Editor on the off chance that I have to make any alters. It's a NCH item.

the most effortless route for me is recording in DOSBox by means of F5 (contingent upon your Keybindings) and subsequently running a group content, which upscales the yield pixel-perferct.

in a last advance I combine my recorded recordings + sound chronicles by means of Garageband by utilizing MKVToolNix GUI. Actually you can cut and past parts yet I have to pressure, this is definitely not a legitimate method of controlling things the manner in which you may have at the top of the priority list.

Sounds like this is more than you're hoping to do however the projects I use are free so in case you're intrigued told me and I can give you more nitty gritty directions.
weareeletric
Grunt

Post by weareeletric »

I use OBS Studio for capturing gameplay. It's free and quite versatile. For editing, consider checking out Movavi. It's also free, works on Windows, and offers a decent range of editing tools without the need to mess with script files. See this article to find out more about this movie maker.
Last edited by weareeletric on Mon Oct 02, 2023 13:31, edited 1 time in total.