Keen1 insane minimalism level competition/collection (final deadline May 10th)

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Re: Keen1 insane minimalism level competition/collection

Post by Grimson »

I've completed and sent my first ever Keen level! Gosh what doors have now opened for me... :O
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Grimson wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:29 I've completed and sent my first ever Keen level! Gosh what doors have now opened for me... :O
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

^ Heh, yes. That's pretty much what happened to me when I did my first level.

By the way, that's a great level, Grimson! I hope there'll be more from you for some other Keen productions.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Thanks KR, I hope to find time to make some more in the future.
Commander Spleen wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:35
Grimson wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:29 I've completed and sent my first ever Keen level! Gosh what doors have now opened for me... :O
*image*
:lol Indeed. As if I didn't procrastinate enough :garg
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Today is the 26th, and it looks like the deadline hasn't been moved. Will there be an update soon? I'm really excited to see people's levels! :)
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Fleexy wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 14:33 Today is the 26th, and it looks like the deadline hasn't been moved. Will there be an update soon? I'm really excited to see people's levels! :)
me too! I'd love to see a intermediate result. afterwards you could start a second round, don't you think?
out now (link) : Image
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

It is? :confused That date sure crept up on me. I decided to give it one more extension, which is final for this time. Last date is 10th of May. Sorry to keep you waiting ( :mort ); it's a good bunch we have, but a few more levels would be nice. We have 11 at the moment.

@Nisaba: Round two might be interesting - maybe even with different rules or tiles, etc. - but I'm not the one to run it; I expect to sink under a severe bout of depression soon and pretty much vanish for the summer.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Re: Keen1 insane minimalism level competition/collection (final deadline May 10th)

Post by troublesomekeen »

Thanks for the extension. It's just what I needed. I made this Long Fall level with the maze challenge to climb back up to the start where the exit is, but now it has evolved into something more elaborate--in my head. I have yet to piece it all together. Been sick and also busy with work. Bad timing! :no
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Re: Keen1 insane minimalism level competition/collection (final deadline May 10th)

Post by Roobar »

OK release it faster, so we should not wait for 8-th of May. I mean you have to work with only 2 tiles. It shouldn't take you more than half an hour to finish a single level (or two at most, if the level is big).
shikadi
Vorticon Elite

Post by shikadi »

Roobar wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 15:06 OK release it faster, so we should not wait for 8-th of May. I mean you have to work with only 2 tiles. It shouldn't take you more than half an hour to finish a single level (or two at most, if the level is big).
making it might be relatively quick. But it also needs to be properly playtested unless you like levels that can't be completed.
nothing usefull here
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

What shikadi said. Playtest well, people.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Ok, got the PCKF working again for me.

Now, this was made some time ago, I went one step further and didn't include any fire tiles, though you will wish I had so you could throw yourself upon them. Know this, it is to be the most hateful level in this collection. I have put into it all of my loathing of levelbuilding, all the poor design tips I could, anything that would make the player exasperated on playing this.

This level, this level is The Maze Of Ire. It is here now: ---link removed by KeenRush; don't link levels, send them via e-mail---
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Now that seems like a good idea. :bloody I couldn't finish it but I got through it by spooling a thread of gray tiles after me in a level editor, from both ends of the level, and completing it even that way felt like an accomplishment. I wonder if there are people who truly enjoy this type of levels?

Edit: I removed the link from your post so people don't see the level before the pack is out.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

It can be done first try with a little blind luck, or following the right wall.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

How?! How could anyone make a level this unforgiving, unreasonable, unnerving and unrewarding :x

Teach me, o' master! :dopekeen