The MrBlackPack - A NEW Keen 3 Level Pack

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Interesting observation XkyRauh and I agree with it. It kinda reflects Keen's goal too.

In Keen 1, Billy was originally exploring Mars and so he just has to get the parts and leave. In Keen 2 he's supposed to go into the heart of their fleet and disable their weapons. And then in Keen 3 he just has to fight his way through to get to the end.
MrBlack
Vortininja

Post by MrBlack »

XkyRauh wrote:
Syllypryde wrote: Just a quick question, Mr. Black. I have noticed most modders and level designers seem to try to manipulate different Keen games. What is your particular obsession with Keen 3?
I'm gonna sneak in, having modded all 3 games in the Vorticons trilogy, and suggest that it's the enemies and the resulting playstyle that make the episode so fun to mod:

Keen 1's got the Vorticon Grunt as a flexible, AI-strong enemy, and then two "patrol + invincible," a "charge the player" and an "annoy the player." That's it! The rest is obstacles; there's not a lot you can do to surprise the player, even if you mix and match AI with patches. Flavor-wise, this episode focuses on EXPLORATION.

Keen 2's got the Vorticon Grunt as a flexible, AI-strong enemy, the Vorticon Elite as a flexible, multishot, AI-strong ranged enemy, (both of whom can be tweaked with a lightswitch), the Vortikid as a flexible annoyance, a wall-crawling platform, and then an elevator. Flavor-wise, this episode focuses on STRATEGY.

Keen 3's got the Vorticon Grunt as a flexible, AI-strong enemy, the Vortikids, the Vortininja as a stronger flexible enemy, the Vortimom as a ranged mulitshot annoyance, a more easily killed ranged enemy with a harder to deal with attack, and then various obstacles. Flavor-wise, this episode focuses on ACTION.

:) Just my two cents.
Some very good points here. Well put.

I believe I stated this in the OP but I'll say it again for clarification. I love editing Keen 3 purely for the versatility/variety. Keen 3 has 5 possible backgrounds, 4 of which have many different tile options. It also allows collectibles on any of the backgrounds. Keen 3 has the Ankh, which if you've played my levels you'll know I like using strategically. Keen 3 has the Vorticon Grunt as a standard enemy that can be put almost anywhere and Meeps which can shoot through walls.

I think the number one factor in it though is aesthetics, or in simple terms art. I believe each Keen level is a piece of art, and visuals are an integral part of that. Keen 3 clearly has the biggest variety of terrain to create a variety of different settings, or mix and match in whatever combination. It's also a lot more colourful.

I have to go now, I would say more but I think you get the general idea.

Levelpacks by me
Keen 3
Keen 4
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Genius314 wrote:
CK Guy wrote:*cough* my website -> downloads -> keen collective *cough*
Heh. That's what I sent him the link to.
Just didn't want to post it directly in the forum... cause knowing my luck, I'd be the one who Id decides to sue. :disguised
Naw, KR would catch you before ID would.
HoboRed
Vortininja

Post by HoboRed »

If someone on this website has played every mod, level pack, and visited every site, tell me!
Last edited by HoboRed on Sun May 17, 2009 15:11, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Eduard Khil
HoboRed
Vortininja

Post by HoboRed »

I visited on Friday and this is my 20th post! :rollin

--HoboRed
RIP Eduard Khil
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

There even is an edit post button, so you don't have to double post. ;)
Image You crack me up little buddy!
matonen
Vortininja

Post by matonen »

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but the download link doesn't seem to be working.
I just wanted to play some of the best keen levels ever made again... could someone upload this pack?
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Here: http://www.mediafire.com/?sc615eje8afk425
Just add the Keen 3 exe and you're ready to go.
(I'm really sorry if there is some of my junk like highscores, but you can either delete or ignore that.)
matonen
Vortininja

Post by matonen »

Thanks a lot!! :D

I wonder what happened to MrBlack...
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

So do I. He needs to make more levels...
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

So I was surprised to see another post by MrBlack today.

MrBlack you need to make more levels.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

Look who's talking. :crazy

But, yes, I remember this pack and enjoyed it a lot more than the original game. Seeing more Keen levels would be nice.
MrBlack
Vortininja

Post by MrBlack »

Sup guys!

I've actually been thinking about getting back into Keen and level making recently, however there's one glaring issue; my new laptop can't run Keenedit.exe. I get the following error...

"The version of this file is not compatible with the version of windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher."

I've tried going into compatibilty mode but it simply won't run. That's about all the effort I put in but now I'm compelled to actually get levelmaking again. Any suggestions?

Levelpacks by me
Keen 3
Keen 4
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

CKeen wrote:Use mindbelt.
Plus it's much easier to use then KEENEDIT.