modding demos

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
jonnyspeight
Vorticon Elite

modding demos

Post by jonnyspeight »

dont get any ideas, knowing me i start a bunch of projects (keen and non-keen related) and hardly ever finish them. ive decided to have a go at modding, but having never done it before (EVER) im thinking of trying to mod the keen 6 demo with only three levels in it (4 if you count the bwb level) d'ya kno if its possible to actually mod the demos? :begging
IMA3HDDMNKY
Vortininja

Re:

Post by IMA3HDDMNKY »

Well, I don't know anything about the technical side of things, but... why not?
jonnyspeight
Vorticon Elite

Post by jonnyspeight »

right, good to kno, just wondering whether programs built to mod were only built to mod the full games, like you cant mod keen dreams...can you?
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Why mod the demo when you could just mod the full game and only make 3 levels.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

As far as I know there is some modding programs for Keendreams out there, but since this is the least played episode no one had a go yet.

As for editing keen6 demo I agree with Ceilick. The Version you use doesn't force you to do a certain number of levels (although there is a maximum). See the One-level-Mods. The Ck6patch and other programs for modding keen6 work only with version 1.4, mind that.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
jonnyspeight
Vorticon Elite

Post by jonnyspeight »

just downloaded everything youd ever need to make a mod...and i cant understand a word of it, im just no good at this stuff anf for another thing my stoopid vista computer doesnt support most of it :(
i'll probably carry on with my comic, which is about the only thing im good at, and maybe i'll do another using the idea i had for the game
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Why would you want to start with a keen6 mod anyway. Just try making a minimod for a Keen 1-3 game. Programs for modding are a lot easier to use there, and it is just so much less complicated to do a Vorticons mod. When you've accomplished that, that brings you about halfway to a Galaxy mod, and you'll know the termini.

If you want to stick to Keen Galaxy modding there is a tutorial here:
http://stefan.lohner-net.de/keen_modding/tutorial/
which state it is for Keen4-5 but Keen6 isn't any different.

Don't give up!
jonnyspeight
Vorticon Elite

Post by jonnyspeight »

argh kewl!!!! thanx tulip, will have a look at that and see what can do
the reason i wanted to do a keen galaxy mod is cuz theres so many vprticons mods but like only five or so galaxy ones, so wanted to make a new one

plus when ure making a mini-mod as ive seen people do, how do you "cancel out" levels, such as only making a 3-level mod? or do you find that out as you go along?
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

just design the map so there is only the amount of edited levels reachable for the player.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I've tried my hand at a KeenDreams mod; it's mostly graphics, and has been abandoned for some time.

In Keen:Galaxy, you cannot 'cancel out' levels; the level warp cheat will always access a certain number of levels, no matter how many are actually there. All you can do is only put a certain number on the map.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
jonnyspeight
Vorticon Elite

Post by jonnyspeight »

[quote="tulip"]just design the map so there is only the amount of edited levels reachable for the player.[/quote]

ah right *thunx own head*