Photobucket Fees for third-party image hosting

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Photobucket Fees for third-party image hosting

Post by troublesomekeen »

Hello there,

This is a pain for me because I used Photobucket as my primary source for sharing pictures here (also Dropbox). I've gone through all of my posts and replaced everything so that all the images that I've uploaded here will remain for anyone who reads through old threads--not that it has very much importance, but I just hate it when images won't load in forums topics.

Anyways, if anyone else uses Photobucket, you probably get an email from them explaining some sort of policy change. It's not that I dislike Photobucket, but as long as there's a free way to share pictures, I'll go with that option. I hear that Photobucket will charge you $400 per year to host third party images. Just a heads up.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Plasma Captain
Vorticon Elite

Re: Photobucket Fees for third-party image hosting

Post by Plasma Captain »

Image "Cap'n! We're losing customers to those other shipping services!"

:evil "Quadruple the charges and hold all the goods for ransom!"

Image "Cap'n, that... doesn't sound like a great idea. Are you sure about this?"

:pirate "Arr, put holes in the boat!"

Image "I don't... what?"

:pirate "You heard me, lads!"

Image "Are we... Are we doing this?"
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Aah but if everyone else does it too then it makes sense. This is the way of the internet.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
ScarletFlame
Vortininja

Post by ScarletFlame »

Thank god. I stopped using photobucket a long time ago.
RESTING SPACE
EXPLORER FACE
Plasma Captain
Vorticon Elite

Post by Plasma Captain »

If everyone else does it, people will either just stop hotlinking images, or someone new will show up to fill the gap. People aren't going to pay that kind of a price for a service which has traditionally been "free". People can't pay that price. It doesn't even cost half as much to have your own website.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Let's see imageshack: aha I see. Years have past since they made paid subscriptions and it's still operational and going. So if they can do it, then photobucket will make profit too.
Plasma Captain
Vorticon Elite

Post by Plasma Captain »

Have you even looked at the subscription rate for Imageshack in comparison to that of Photobucket, though?

Additionally, it doesn't look like ImageShack is faring too well. They're surviving, but they seem desperate to me.