Keen 7-9 revision

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Ceilick
The Dude

Re: Keen 7-9 revision

Post by Ceilick »

I think it's time to move on and make new stuff, personally.
Honestly, this.

While I would love to improve my work, make each episode more distinct from the original episode it modifies, make the story more cohesive, improve the graphics and level design, etc, all of that is really only because it's personal to me and I'd like my work to be a reflection of what I think is great now vs what I thought was good enough then. Sadly that's only wishful thinking for me at this point :p

I think anyone else looking to revise these should honestly consider just making their own uTUIT.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Keen 7 is a superb teaching tool for my keendergarten class because it demonstrates in a very clear and simple way the potential and application of short, precise patches that only alter the behavior of certain creatures slightly (Mad Mushroom and Lick).

It is also unique having two Underwater levels, which requires further patching because of the Swimsuit-Keen-Death-Animation. It's a little tricky. If I were to show the class (on Day 1) more complex mods like ValKeen or Ultimate Underground, it would go way over their heads.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

@Mobiethian: Basically you made a mod, just without the levels. :) Pretty neat, can't wait to see what Nisaba makes of that.

And as for even thinking of polishing old mods... Why? :confused I think Keen 7-9 are more than good enough. Even for Ceilick I'd consider this a lunatic thing to do. :p They are what they are. Make new, even better stuff. I for one I'm glad to see he's not expending his time and energy on improving old work that's already pretty damn amazing. Keeping my eyes on SOTV.

If anything, the community should build levels to complete Mobiethian's work so we'd get a brand new mod, not obsess over mods that are already completed and have already for years been setting high standards.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Agreed, best to keep them as a history, a display of how the community grew and developed its talents over time than to redo the past. Maybe in some future time we'll do another TUIT. (In 3D using procedural generation for the PS4 or something no doubt.)
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Ceilick wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:41
I think it's time to move on and make new stuff, personally.
I think anyone else looking to revise these should honestly consider just making their own uTUIT.
There's the point.
Yeah, piece of cake!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

IMKO, Keen 7 needs revision for the music at least. The mod itself could stay as is, but some tracks really need replacement.
keenmaster486
Vorticon Elite

Post by keenmaster486 »

I agree with Roobar. Some of the music is very annoying.
I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.
ComissionerDeWitt
Vortininja

Post by ComissionerDeWitt »

Levellass wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:56 Agreed, best to keep them as a history, a display of how the community grew and developed its talents over time than to redo the past. Maybe in some future time we'll do another TUIT. (In 3D using procedural generation for the PS4 or something no doubt.)
Let's not forget about VOICEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Voices complete any 3D remake
Meet Vinny Vorticos! viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4054
Mobiethian
Vortininja

Post by Mobiethian »

Keep in mind that I can come up with brand new tiles and backgrounds for whatever is needed. Even if there are revisions planned in the future for any mods, I can help out with those as well. There's a lot more free time for me now that I don't have two jobs and need something to do to occupy the time.

I've been asking around to see if it's possible to do a community mod at some point. Pulling all of our resources together would be an amazing thing. Any thoughts on this would be great!
XrackProject
Vortininja

Post by XrackProject »

Plasma Captain wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:02
While I did enjoy playing these mods, I think it's time to move on and make new stuff, personally.
I agree. I can only write what I think from a gamers perspective and I really appreciate all the work you modders put into new projects. I think it is always nice to see something new instead something old but optimized. I really enjoyed Keen 7-9 and I just finished Keen 9 as a LP-project on my channel some weeks ago, so I dont really see a need for making anything better. It was very pretty designed and also challenging. I also laughed a lot about all these new enemys and about dealing with them! xD I didnt play all Galaxy Mods yet but I tend to play some "fresh" and new designed ones first. Keen 7-9 is an awesome trilogy and we should keep it like it is. (Just my opinion) <3

Cheers,
X-Rack
A project for lifetime.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Mobiethian wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 15:59I've been asking around to see if it's possible to do a community mod at some point. Pulling all of our resources together would be an amazing thing. Any thoughts on this would be great!
That would be the, apparently dead 'CKCM', forum here: https://keenmodding.org/viewforum.php?f=14

Frankly, with all the sprite resources already built it could be a Vorticons OR galaxy mod quite easily, I'd certainly jump back in, once I had any idea of what was needed to finish.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

levellass wrote:Frankly, with all the sprite resources already built it could be a Vorticons OR galaxy mod quite easily, I'd certainly jump back in, once I had any idea of what was needed to finish.
I was just reviewing this a week or two ago. To make any new progress, it needs to be simplified into a basic Vorticons mod paradigm without all the complex quest/adventure stuff. The graphics IMKO should become simple 2D designs, ideally keeping it all in one tileset where possible. Maybe some concept sketches to flesh out important elements of the level structures and theming (there is a map there with all the levels defined) but leaving room for organic improvisation. Perhaps begin an incremental release system, starting with the first set of levels leading up to the bridge crossing, in order to force all the front end, story text, etc to take form.

I'll write up a post over there soon with more details about what I have in mind to define more achievable goals.
FanofSMBX
Grunt

Post by FanofSMBX »

troublesomekeen wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:15 Keen 7 is a superb teaching tool for my keendergarten class because it demonstrates in a very clear and simple way the potential and application of short, precise patches that only alter the behavior of certain creatures slightly (Mad Mushroom and Lick).

It is also unique having two Underwater levels, which requires further patching because of the Swimsuit-Keen-Death-Animation. It's a little tricky. If I were to show the class (on Day 1) more complex mods like ValKeen or Ultimate Underground, it would go way over their heads.
The Lick was hacked? I thought the Slurple was just a sprite replacement of the Lick.