Shortcuts

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
Bulbasaurus Rex
Meep

Shortcuts

Post by Bulbasaurus Rex »

Are the gem key skipping shortcuts in Keen 4 common knowledge?

In "Crystalus," you can skip the green gem to make a very long level a little shorter.

In "Isle of Tar," you can actually skip all the gems by using the Impossible Pogo Trick. While I had someone inform my of the Crystalus shortcut, I discovered this one on my own. I could never find the first gem, so until recently I had assumed this was the intended way to beat the level while the rest of it was a huge trolling joke by the developers.

Are there any other huge shortcuts in the Keen games you've found (not necessarily ones that skip keys)?
keenmaster486
Vorticon Elite

Re: Shortcuts

Post by keenmaster486 »

Wait.

You can do that in Crystalus? How?

And I don't remember how I usually solve Isle of Tar...

Also, welcome to the forums! Make a welcome thread my dude!
I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.
Bulbasaurus Rex
Meep

Post by Bulbasaurus Rex »

If you do a physics defying leap to reach the top of the chamber where the yellow gem holder and the red gem are, there are a bunch of tiny platforms at the top of Crystalus that you can pogo across. After bouncing off the last one, move as far right as possible to enter the chamber with the yellow gem from the other side.

Although, apparently my "Isle of Tar" shortcut can only be done on easy difficulty (where your pogo stick has a little more power), so the same may be true here; I don't know. Does anyone know for sure?
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

hey there and welcome to the forums.

I think the Crystalus short cut is pretty well known. here is evidence for the green gem skip:
https://youtu.be/oGaUDORmCtc?t=6m54s

but I haven't heard about that Isle of Tar gap jump. maybe because I haven't played this game on easy mode in a like at least a decade or so. but if you are about to skip the whole level you'll miss the most beautiful secrets in the whole game. especially the secret Skypest spot is worth playing the whole level. and I always loved to encounter these Wormouths.

(off topic: @keenmaster486, do you know anything about so called Slit-Scan-Cameras?!)
out now (link) : Image
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Keen 6 is riddled with wall clipping shortcuts, with or without the 'impossible bullet trick', Keen 5 has a notable one that lets you skip nearly all the levels.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Hisymak
Vortininja

Post by Hisymak »

Not sure if this one counts as a shortcut:
In the Moon pyramid, if you find the secret to get on top of the pyramid (above the big yellow bricks), go to the right border of level and you'll be able to exit the level without having the yellow gem.
XrackProject
Vortininja

Post by XrackProject »

In Keen 4 you can also skip a passage in "Pyramid of the Gnosticene" with using the plattform in the tar area. Ususally you have to get the (i think) red key, to open a door to enter the gate...far as I remember. You only have to wait for the plattform, and to enter an official secret that guides you directly to the gate.

You can see what I mean in this video: https://youtu.be/EdNjsCzlLIQ?t=477

I heard about the skip in "isle of tar" but far as I know you have to jump really precise AND use an impossible jump too. But to be honest you have to be really lucky to save time on that.

Cheers! :)
A project for lifetime.
Shikadi-Network
Grunt

Post by Shikadi-Network »

The Shortcut in Isle of Tar is not that difficult on easy. I am not sure if it will work on normal.
I think it`s impossible on hard, but maybe I am wrong.

There is a good Shortcut in Korath III Base where you can skip 90% of the Level. :D And no it's
not the secret way. ;) You have to activate the swtich on the bottom left, then jump on the
plattform. If you are fast enough you can get the green Key on the top left and the Keycard
on the top right. It's also possible to jump to the door above.

Yeah it`s not a great Shortcut, but it`s nice to know. :D

The only frontier is our imagination - The Guy from Shikadi-Netzwerk