The Store Concept of CG

All discussion about the Commander Genius project (a Keen interpreter + more).
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

The Store Concept of CG

Post by gerstrong »

Hi,

I received some questions lately regarding in how to get more Games for CG.

For some iterations there exist an internal Store which provides a small library of the shareware versions and mods.

I created a video where I explain it:

https://youtu.be/P4Z3Y2nuUw0

Videos are fun! :-)
Last edited by gerstrong on Tue Sep 19, 2017 16:24, edited 1 time in total.
Having fun developing stuff...
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Re: The Store Concept of CG

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

gerstrong wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 16:22 Video are fun! :-)
English are funny. :mort (Where's the trollface emotikeen?)
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Ooops, ate the letter 's' while writing, corrected... :-D
Zilem
Vortininja

Post by Zilem »

I don't think "Store" is the right name for this, as we are not buying anything par say.
But the idea of selecting and downloading content is definitely interesting!

Although i think the gameCatalogue.xml should stay server side, so it can be Hot updated from there
at least that is what i would have done, and do with the web-browser version of my mods
or automatically re-download it it from server side on launch.
The Difference Between a Mod and Fan art?, a Fan art is a Concept and a Mod is that Concept put into life.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Zilem wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 22:57 I don't think "Store" is the right name for this, as we are not buying anything par say.
But the idea of selecting and downloading content is definitely interesting!

Although i think the gameCatalogue.xml should stay server side, so it can be Hot updated from there
at least that is what i would have done, and do with the web-browser version of my mods
or automatically re-download it it from server side on launch.
Well, this store started as an experiment, like this catalogue file stuff also. It worked so far, so I think we can make it downloadable and bring this further.

About the name I am not sure how to call it. I looked for a short name and I liked "Store". How would you call it?
nanomekia
Vorticon Elite

Post by nanomekia »

gerstrong wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:09 About the name I am not sure how to call it. I looked for a short name and I liked "Store". How would you call it?
Library perhaps?
Writer. Translator. Player of games. Only bites when asked nicely.

"That's ten pounds of yikes in a five-pound bag."
Zilem
Vortininja

Post by Zilem »

gerstrong wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:09 Well, this store started as an experiment, like this catalogue file stuff also. It worked so far, so I think we can make it downloadable and bring this further.

About the name I am not sure how to call it. I looked for a short name and I liked "Store". How would you call it?
i didn't think of a Name since, we didn't see it outside of +More
But "Download Manager" seem more fitting, Although "Library" as nanomekia posted, which work Very good.

In the future the idea would be taken further
if the user have put Keen 2,3,5,6 into a "Original" folder
Commander Genius would then detecting if the original Keen 2,3,5,6 is present on launch.
which would then open up for downloads of Mods for them if they are.
and when installing these mods, the files from the "Original" game folder and the downloaded mod would be put together for the user
This is one of the ideas you hinted you were tinkering with?
The Difference Between a Mod and Fan art?, a Fan art is a Concept and a Mod is that Concept put into life.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Zilem wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 19:11
gerstrong wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:09 Well, this store started as an experiment, like this catalogue file stuff also. It worked so far, so I think we can make it downloadable and bring this further.

i didn't think of a Name since, we didn't see it outside of +More
But "Download Manager" seem more fitting, Although "Library" as nanomekia posted, which work Very good.

In the future the idea would be taken further
if the user have put Keen 2,3,5,6 into a "Original" folder
Commander Genius would then detecting if the original Keen 2,3,5,6 is present on launch.
which would then open up for downloads of Mods for them if they are.
and when installing these mods, the files from the "Original" game folder and the downloaded mod would be put together for the user
This is one of the ideas you hinted you were tinkering with?
To be honest I really was and am not sure, how to call it, so "Store" was the name I have been using so far.

About "Library" I as developer always think about so or dll. These are really games. I think they represent more. Still though it is a name we could use, still I think there is something more fitting. How about "Gamerepo", "Bodega" or "Stash". I'm still puzzling here...

Btw. I am trying to make CG independent of Exe files. That way every mod of Keen 2,3, 5 or 6 will playable without having the original game. I have planned this for some time, because I think we need to get a bit more independent. We have great mods here and it is sad that only the people with the original games can play them, eventhough the mod authors give them for free. Because CG has its own engine, it does not require much of the Exe files. What is required will be replaced using python scripts.

Getting back to the topic of putting Keen 2-6 into some folders and letting the mods automatically get patched, it is possible but I don't it will be required in future...
nanomekia
Vorticon Elite

Post by nanomekia »

gerstrong wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:32 About "Library" I as developer always think about so or dll. These are really games. I think they represent more. Still though it is a name we could use, still I think there is something more fitting. How about "Gamerepo", "Bodega" or "Stash". I'm still puzzling here...
Hmm. "Arcade"?
Writer. Translator. Player of games. Only bites when asked nicely.

"That's ten pounds of yikes in a five-pound bag."