Keen 4 minimod

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Keen 4 minimod

Post by Levellass »

So, Spleen got this a week ago and now it's getting a more public release. This little miimod of a handful of levels is a blatant ripoff of the Foray in the Cherry Blossom Forest Keengine mod. It was made both as a small prize for the insalevs competition and because me and a few people working on a larger, complete mod are a little bored with the lack of progress on it.

It is based on the core of the larger mod itself and so has a number of features of that mod. It stars a certain squirrel who has appeared in a few other trivial projects. It may provide a few minutes of distraction for the keening community. (And get LL off of her butt. There are four people working on this; how can nothing be happening?)

Get it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dmt47pt1d7xvy ... R.zip?dl=0
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Re: Keen 4 minimod

Post by KeenRush »

Loving the story and the furry vibes. :D I love this kind of mods where you're some other creature altogether and this one has plenty of intriguing alterations. The scrolling text in the beginning, is it the original horizontal scroll turned into vertical? Anyway, well done, inventive stuff, I like how you can climb trees and sneak into those badger holes or whatever. Looking forward the full mod once it gets done...... eventually.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Nisaba
Janitress

special secret super squirrel spring section

Post by Nisaba »

waht a spiming miimod. and a new capter of ripping grahpics.
sweet cake, what a tasty snack!

that press-crtl-to-jump-demo is pretty sleek. the going wild hamster: phenomenon. and of course the changing point item values depending on the difficulty is just one thing which - once again - proves the inventive talent of our beloved patching godmother.
but I think the loading from a save game patch needs a bit of work... of course only if the roib style isn't intended:
spoiler no, I'm not deconstructing this mod, but that's the fun part, isn't it? nice error messages by the way!

looking forward to see the next chapter of seeking nuts. so grab your caffeine pills you lil' squirrel and and make the big white wolf proud again...

... I'm not quite sure, which four people you are addressing, but I did send you a massage ( must be months ago) and you haven't received a reply yet...
Last edited by Nisaba on Mon Oct 22, 2018 22:57, edited 4 times in total.
out now (link) : Image
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

I tried the game and 1 music is very familiar, but the tune is different though. Wait! It is also used in Keen 10. But that's minor.

So, let's see:

Like I said, I tried it a bit, and I must say the mod's technic is cool enough, especially the vertical scrolling text, which already gave me an idea (for the future).
The graphics: There are some cool, there are some mildly good, and there are some poor as well. (But graphically, Foray in the Forest is much better.)
Plot: From my part it is cool.
Levels: I definitely appreciate the tutorials when you go to the paws and press Up. This was a good point!

After all, this mod has advantages for the future, but improve the graphics a little bit (which you think is really poor/mildly good, but that's only from my part).
Yeah, piece of cake!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Re: special secret super squirrel spring section

Post by Levellass »

Oh yes, the graphics are the weak point, it's blindingly obvious they're simply copied over from Foray; I wasn't going for anything unique there. You'll also notice a lot of Keen 59 stuff about the place. No, this mod is practice.

Nisaba wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:36 but I think the loading from a save game patch needs a bit of work... of course only if the roib style isn't intended:
spoiler no, I'm not deconstructing this mod, but that's the fun part, isn't it? nice error messages by the way!
How'd you get that bug? This will also be very useful when it comes to finding errors.

*Rummages*

Oh of course I put in an old version of the patch file. Figures. Right; updated it now so games should load properly. Now I await the NEXT game-breaking bug to emerge.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Nisaba
Janitress

Re: special secret super squirrel spring section

Post by Nisaba »

*reads old patch file*

*gasps*

that patch file! what a beauty!
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Can you share a couple of Keen's dream images? again I can't extract the graphic files due to some nasty patching of yours... I wanted to rip all of them but...
well, the dreaming Keen sprites would be a neat logo (.gif) for this forum, don't you think?!
(If you don't wanna animate the gif yourself just send the files over an I'll take care of it.)
Nisaba
Janitress

S.Q.R.L.

Post by Nisaba »

boy that patch file reads like a great bedtime story.
Boss (Mouse) Battle wrote:"Another squirrel, as expected.
We ARE the superior species.
Still, there have been many others. The lucky ones died in agony before meeting me.
YOU will not be so fortunate..."
...Snakes, Spiders, Bees, Bunnies, Hawks, Skunks, Toads, Winmags, Foxes, Bats... I wanna see them all! I'm really looking forward to the next update. the patchfile is very promising. so much high end and yet unseen patching skill in there. makes me wanna go nuts!

Image Image
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

So I just got around to actually trying this a year later and it's amazing. Still not ready to play it through yet but it's definitely one for when I can actually isolate myself from IRL and projects for enough time to engage in some proper Keening again.