CK4 Skin Mod - Captain and Commander Neon

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
XrackProject
Vortininja

CK4 Skin Mod - Captain and Commander Neon

Post by XrackProject »

Hello,

Some of you already have seen me speedrunning Commander Keen 4 and it was always my goal to run with my "own Keen". Now I am able to do that because I found someone who helped me out on this forum, so I could work and pixel my own design of Keen and import it into the game! I call it "Captain Green" (Now changed into "Captain Neon") because of some obvious reasons and also the lack of creativity.

This is my first mod or skin pack or however you want to call it. Im about to learn more about modding and maybe Im gonna change more details in this game sooner or later, just to get a feeling for this hobby.

Heres the title screen and an ingame screenshot:

Here is the downloadlink:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vrj3eagdh4u4x ... 4.zip?dl=0

Im not sure if this is the final design of my Keen but Im pretty happy with my results. Yes, black and neon green colors are my favourite! :)

Speedrun Videos of Captain Green 4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHDAYBIhpxA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoWqqNPyVe0

======================================================================

Edit Nov.1.2017: I changed "Captain Green" into "Captain Neon".

Nov 19.2017: I changed the design for a second version of Captain or Commander "Neon". Its gonna be some kind of an alternative thing.
======================================================================

Commander Neon is alive! (Nov 29.2017)

I'm finally done more or less with the second version of the Neon Project wich I prefer more. I'm gonna definetly continue with changing even more stuff in this amazing game. Step by step I will change anything else aswell aslong I understand any further steps from the tutorials or Nisaba! ;D

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hy0niwoapep8h ... 0.zip?dl=0
Last edited by XrackProject on Fri Dec 01, 2017 17:19, edited 7 times in total.
A project for lifetime.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Re: Commander Keen 4 Skin Mod (Captain Green)

Post by Roobar »

Your links doesn't work.
XrackProject
Vortininja

Post by XrackProject »

Roobar wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 13:22 Your links doesn't work.
Now it should work! Im so sorry, I dont have much experience with Dropbox...
A project for lifetime.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

This looks a lot like martinez_mcmeyer_by_szemi

XrackProject
Vortininja

Post by XrackProject »

Roobar wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:25 This looks a lot like martinez_mcmeyer_by_szemi

Its smiliar yes, but if you take a closer look at my YT or Twitch Channel you will see, that these are just my favourite colors. Thats why I wanted my Keen to look like this. I dont like green color if its not neon green in combination with black details. :-)
A project for lifetime.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

It is simple, this is a fused clone of Keen and Martinez, created by Collapser Keen in an attempt to make the ultimate evil genius to combat his enemies. Unfortunately (For him) the clone turned good and now fights crime as Pickle Keen.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Zilem
Vortininja

Post by Zilem »

Levellass wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:10 It is simple, this is a fused clone of Keen and Martinez, created by Collapser Keen in an attempt to make the ultimate evil genius to combat his enemies. Unfortunately (For him) the clone turned good and now fights crime as Pickle Keen.
The Difference Between a Mod and Fan art?, a Fan art is a Concept and a Mod is that Concept put into life.
XrackProject
Vortininja

Post by XrackProject »

Levellass wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:10 It is simple, this is a fused clone of Keen and Martinez, created by Collapser Keen in an attempt to make the ultimate evil genius to combat his enemies. Unfortunately (For him) the clone turned good and now fights crime as Pickle Keen.
Exactly! Just with cooler clothes! ;) One of my viewers gave me also the idea to create a parallel Universe of Keen. Maybe they're gonna meet one day during a heavy fight with a race that is able to control the subspace. During a distortion a lot of intressting things could happen...
A project for lifetime.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Well, you call it Captain Green, but you're constantly referring to it as Neon. Why don't you call it Captain Neon for instance? Besides, Captain Green also associate it with environment and ecology and I think your intention isn't that.
XrackProject
Vortininja

Post by XrackProject »

Roobar wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:31 Well, you call it Captain Green, but you're constantly referring to it as Neon. Why don't you call it Captain Neon for instance? Besides, Captain Green also associate it with environment and ecology and I think your intention isn't that.
Of course I can call it "Captain Neon". The state of this mod is not final... so there is a lot of stuff that can be changed. Im just happy beeing able to play with my own Keen with my own modifications. Some weeks ago I had no clue about modding or pixeling, so Im pretty satisfied with my resluts. Who knows, maybe Im gonna change more in this game once I figured out how to deal and mix with those special colors... ;D
Last edited by XrackProject on Mon Oct 30, 2017 17:24, edited 1 time in total.
A project for lifetime.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Yeah, that's neat for just a few weeks work. I'm just wondering what your future plans are. Are you interested in making new levels or/and tileset graphics? That takes a lot of time, but it's cool seeing new people getting into the modding scene.
XrackProject
Vortininja

Post by XrackProject »

Roobar wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 17:02 Yeah, that's neat for just a few weeks work. I'm just wondering what your future plans are. Are you interested in making new levels or/and tileset graphics? That takes a lot of time, but it's cool seeing new people getting into the modding scene.
I am definetly interssted in modding, but Im not sure if I will be modding by myslef one day. I see myself more as a helping hand in development. Im intressted in sprites and pixeling for now. I would also like to learn how to add music into Keen Mods or even create my own. Im reading for now Ceilicks tutorial about modding and try to get in touch with this topic. :)
A project for lifetime.
Zilem
Vortininja

Post by Zilem »

I will agree with Roobar on the Name, Captain Neon seam more fitting due to the Light Green against a black helmet

The world Sprite have some color oddness, where in some of the frames the green stripes on the helmet is Forest Green instead of Neon Green
the Files are: 4SPR0134.bmp, 4SPR0138.bmp

Captain Green is rather similar to Martinez Mcmeyer but also Mortimmer, due the Black Pants
But once i compared them all 4 i noticed that the pants and helmet had no shading, on top of the G on the helmet merging neon green stripes
A: Commander Keen (Original)
B: Mortimer (NetKeen)
C: Martinez Mcmeyer (The Grand Intelligence IV)
D: Captain Green
E: Captain Green with added shading for Pants and Helmet

BTW, I believe you missed this one ^.~
The Difference Between a Mod and Fan art?, a Fan art is a Concept and a Mod is that Concept put into life.
XrackProject
Vortininja

Post by XrackProject »

I have some problems with shading yet... my goal was to keep any black details as dark as possible. I didnt want him to wear gray pants but real black ones. Your right! I completely forgot about the scores! :O There is still something I would like to change on his T-Shirt. It seems to me that there is too much of green on it. Im thinking about a black one right now with some neon green details on it...
A project for lifetime.
Nisaba
Janitress

Re: Commander Keen 4 Skin Mod (Captain Neon)

Post by Nisaba »

aha, Neon Commander, reminds me a little of this android game over here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzLjK6fnvnA
maybe useful for some further inspiration? anyways, looking forwards what you are going to modify next.

BTW, just a little dropbox trick:
before:

Code: Select all

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qy84jnffc7ncrq6/Captain%20Green%204%20Titlescreen.png?dl=0
after:

Code: Select all

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/qy84jnffc7ncrq6/Captain%20Green%204%20Titlescreen.png?dl=1
result:
out now (link) : Image