Classic cars

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
keenmaster486
Vorticon Elite

Classic cars

Post by keenmaster486 »

Does anyone else like antique/vintage/classic cars?

I love the 30's and 40's. Those eras are my jam. Especially early 40's. Just pre- and post-war.

I also turn into a giant green monster when anyone mentions hotrodding or ratrodding so don't :lol

There's something about the whole experience of old cars that I love. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I suspect it has something to do with style and class.
I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Re: Classic cars

Post by KeenRush »

Oh yes. And I'm so vexed I'll never have one. Whereas I have never tried driving one I've always loved the way they look. That's the way a car should look in my opinion. I hate the design of practically every modern car.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
nanomekia
Vorticon Elite

Post by nanomekia »

I see a lot of older cars around here. There's one particular one I keep seeing - I have pictures of it somewhere, I'll dig them out for you, it's a 57 (I think) Chevy truck in this really awesome electric blue. Really well kept too, the guy who owns it takes excellent care of it.

(Edit: Sorry, sorry, it's a 52. Here you go!)
Writer. Translator. Player of games. Only bites when asked nicely.

"That's ten pounds of yikes in a five-pound bag."
keenmaster486
Vorticon Elite

Post by keenmaster486 »

@KeenRush: Yes! I agree with you. I do like cars today much better than cars from the late 60's - late 70's though. That was the worst era.

@nanomekia: Yeaaaahhhh, that's a beauty. I'm not as into trucks as other vehicles but that's been immaculately kept.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Hmm, I might have to post some pictures of my brother's project cars
Edit: doot!
https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/im ... mbmffn.jpg
https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/im ... mknjhn.jpg
Last edited by MoffD on Wed Dec 20, 2017 17:10, edited 1 time in total.
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
nanomekia
Vorticon Elite

Post by nanomekia »

Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

may I introduce to you the love of my life:
https://bringatrailer.com/2014/07/29/19 ... a-type-34/
out now (link) : Image
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

I love cars of all eras but actually would have far more interest in late 70s and 1980s cars. I see no reason why automobile design had to pursue a trajectory from the cars of 1990 and the vehicles we see today.

Interestinly Ireland has a unique feature in its number plates where the year of first registration is openly displayed in the registration plate so you can transparently see the year (at least since the mid 80s, before then it was random letters and numbers). A '80' is sadly a rarity and 90s are dying out fast. I think the status symbol of a brand new car has driven this, everyone wants to be seen with this year's number plate (we don't do custom plates so 'D-FISH' isn't an option). When you go to other countries particularly the Netherlands and France, you tend to see a lot more 80s and 90s vehicles in use.

I do have an ambition to drive an early 80s car, a Merc or a BMW would be ideal, but actually many of the very ordinary brands start to look very impressive if you go back far enough through the years.
hairmonster12
Grunt

Post by hairmonster12 »

You folks have excellent taste when it comes to automobiles!
I like classic vehicles WAY better than new ones, and i'll tell you why: Old cars have a STORY to tell! :) Old trucks that have worked hard for generations carrying heavy loads, or old family sedans that hauled people around for decades but were lovingly kept running by their various owners over time...
New cars just don't have that. a history, a story, a life. At least not yet anyways, of course all those classic cars were brand new at some point :P
btw here's my dad's 1953 GMC!
https://www.facebook.com/photographyofm ... =3&theater
'Kay, so...
hairmonster12
Grunt

Post by hairmonster12 »

nanomekia wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 21:45 I see a lot of older cars around here. There's one particular one I keep seeing - I have pictures of it somewhere, I'll dig them out for you, it's a 57 (I think) Chevy truck in this really awesome electric blue. Really well kept too, the guy who owns it takes excellent care of it.

(Edit: Sorry, sorry, it's a 52. Here you go!)
That is a really beautiful '52 Chevy! :D
'Kay, so...
nanomekia
Vorticon Elite

Post by nanomekia »

hairmonster12 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:04 That is a really beautiful '52 Chevy! :D
Isn't it? :D

Rorie
Tru-Blu Aussie Born & Bred

Post by Rorie »

Unfortunately for me I not interested in cars, my vision is so bad that I have to get close to small print and not even having the strongest lens prescription on my glasses help, the only thing that'll would work is a corneal transplant, which one my doc's won;t do because of my young age and the cost, i'm uninsured and the last time I'd asked about the cost, the surgeon stated that I was looking at least A$25'000 and I don't have that kind of money and besides because of inflation I suspect the amount quoted would have now doubled, but i'm ok with it I have learned to accept my impairment over the years and it doesn't affect my mental health anymore, I've learn't to accept this
If you can't change the rules, challenge them, rules are made to be broken
Up yours Fleexy!
hairmonster12
Grunt

Post by hairmonster12 »

Nisaba wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 20:57 may I introduce to you the love of my life:
https://bringatrailer.com/2014/07/29/19 ... a-type-34/
Very nice Karmann Ghia! Beautiful color too :D I think classic Volkswagens are really cool! The first car I owned was a 1972 Super Beetle, it was incredibly fun to drive around and it was really good for driving in snow lol. I used to have a job as the "delivery boy" for an auto repair business that specialized in European cars. Sometimes people would bring their classic cars to be repaired, which was really cool to see! I saw some really nice Karmann Ghias, (even a convertible one!), nice old Beetles and vans, and one time a totally original mint condition 1955 Porsche Spyder! :love I even got to drive the cars a couple times! (not the Porsche though lol)
'Kay, so...
keenmaster486
Vorticon Elite

Post by keenmaster486 »

keenmaster486
Vorticon Elite

Post by keenmaster486 »

Looks like that image got messed up. But my dad finally got the 1941 Ford he'd been looking at for months, and we went on a road trip to Oregon and the Columbia River gorge area!