Bullet Step trick (K6)

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

Slowing down the bullet would create new and interesting game play mechanics. But would also increase the likelihood of the teleportation glitch, unless that's patched out or altered to work elsewhere in the mod. Influencing that with level design may take careful planning otherwise.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

mortimer wrote:No idea if this is related. But https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE-Rj8C8d7c
It's related; the bullet vanishes at the top of the screen but Keen doesn't get to leave the level that way (Not through the top!) Instead he looks for another platformish sprite to be teleported to.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

wiivn wrote:You missed that? I've even made some concepts and now that there's abiathar, I might even be able to make these.
viewtopic.php?t=1467&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
I remember that thread! I wonder if Steven is still lurking here?
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Nisaba
Janitress

Re: Bullet Step trick (K6) - looking for a gif

Post by Nisaba »

hey guys,
I need some help. I'm about to update the Impossible Bullet Trick page. The Impossible Pogo Trick article already features a neat .gif image, which illustrates the impossible pogo trick.

Can someone record something similar for the Impossible Bullet Trick, please?!
out now (link) : Image
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Re: Bullet Step trick (K6)

Post by troublesomekeen »

I shall give it a try!

Here's the try:

OH SHOOT! It's too big! :dopefish
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

excellent loop! thanks very much.
can you also share the raw video recording, please?! this should help shrinking everything down to 320x200px (I can do that). next step would be to convert it into a GIF file. what kind of tool would you recommend for doing stuff like that?!

Edit: just noticed that ffmpeg can also handle a pixel perfect converting step.

Edit: ffmpeg + imagemagick = Image

Edit: for anybody interested, these are my parameters:

Code: Select all

ffmpeg -i in.avi -sws_flags neighbor+full_chroma_inp -s 320x200 -f image2 %03d.png

Code: Select all

convert -delay 1x30 `seq -f %03g.png 249 2 580` -fuzz 1% -ordered-dither o8x8,4 -coalesce -layers OptimizeTransparency +map animation.gif
Last edited by Nisaba on Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:34, edited 1 time in total.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Yes, the loop did turn out rather okay, what with the blue blooglet's walking cycle being seamless

but I'm afraid I went about it all the wrong way. I DosBoxed some footage, uploaded it to Youtube, and then plugged the link into Imgur. Hence the poor quality. To be of any help, I'll have to start from scratch. :helmet

Anyways! Looks like you've got it now! Well done!
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

yeah, the problem with online converting services is, that you never know what parameters they use to transcode your source material into another format. results are mostly average.I don't trust these tools.
I was also too lazy to do some research in the first place, but eventually did it anyways. I recorded the sequence via DOSBox, extracted every frame into a PNG file and finally converted everything into a GIF. With the small script shown above, the conversion took about 10 seconds.