Good Free Games?

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Re: Good Free Games?

Post by MoffD »

Weren't the first episodes of Duke 1 and 2 shareware? I seem to recall having a "free" version of Duke 1 at some point
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

Yes, the first episode of Duke 1 and Duke 2 were shareware (not freeware!) and as such, they can still be downloaded from http://legacy.3drealms.com/downloads.html and other sites.

When the rights to the old Duke games were transferred to Gearbox, all the digital downloads disappeared. Gearbox has since re-released Duke Nukem 3D as the 20th Anniversary Edition, which (I think) removed all references to 3D Realms/Apogee from the game ... or at least for the important stuff like Copyrights and ordering information. They also updated the engine so that they could release the game on consoles.

With Duke 1 and 2, they obviously can't do that since nobody bothered to archive the original source code for these games. Maybe the outdated copyrights and ordering information are the reason why these games can't be bought right now. Or maybe Gearbox simply doesn't care about any of the pre-3D games.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
Rorie
Tru-Blu Aussie Born & Bred

Post by Rorie »

K1n9_Duk3 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 21:41 Yes, the first episode of Duke 1 and Duke 2 were shareware (not freeware!) and as such, they can still be downloaded from http://legacy.3drealms.com/downloads.html and other sites.

When the rights to the old Duke games were transferred to Gearbox, all the digital downloads disappeared. Gearbox has since re-released Duke Nukem 3D as the 20th Anniversary Edition, which (I think) removed all references to 3D Realms/Apogee from the game ... or at least for the important stuff like Copyrights and ordering information. They also updated the engine so that they could release the game on consoles.

With Duke 1 and 2, they obviously can't do that since nobody bothered to archive the original source code for these games. Maybe the outdated copyrights and ordering information are the reason why these games can't be bought right now. Or maybe Gearbox simply doesn't care about any of the pre-3D games.
Business Mate, no publisher gives a garg about software over 20 years old, it is just like going into social security to update information and the first thing the employees try to make you do is use the computer instead of dealing with a actual person, they deliberately try to avoid responsibility even if they make a error insisting that the government has overpaid your disability benefit, you plead your innocence and you are still made to pay back the money despite if you've have been honest with the system even if you have always done the right thing for the last 18 years!, centrelink don't care, they're only in it for themselves, mind you the staff are always paid more than a recipient on benefits, how about equality?, how about fairness?, that's right Australia, I'm talking to you!
If you can't change the rules, challenge them, rules are made to be broken
Up yours Fleexy!
Lunick
Vortininja

Post by Lunick »

Rorie wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 23:41
K1n9_Duk3 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 21:41 Yes, the first episode of Duke 1 and Duke 2 were shareware (not freeware!) and as such, they can still be downloaded from http://legacy.3drealms.com/downloads.html and other sites.

Business Mate, no publisher gives a garg about software over 20 years old, it is just like going into social security to update information and the first thing the employees try to make you do is use the computer instead of dealing with a actual person, they deliberately try to avoid responsibility even if they make a error insisting that the government has overpaid your disability benefit, you plead your innocence and you are still made to pay back the money despite if you've have been honest with the system even if you have always done the right thing for the last 18 years!, centrelink don't care, they're only in it for themselves, mind you the staff are always paid more than a recipient on benefits, how about equality?, how about fairness?, that's right Australia, I'm talking to you!
Excuse me but what does anything after "Business Mate, no publisher gives a garg about software over 20 years old" have to do with the post you're quoting? It's highly likely the person you're quoting has no understanding of what you're trying to say.
Lunick is Here
Rorie

Post by Rorie »

Lunick wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:41
Rorie wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 23:41

Excuse me but what does anything after "Business Mate, no publisher gives a garg about software over 20 years old" have to do with the post you're quoting? It's highly likely the person you're quoting has no understanding of what you're trying to say.
I meant no publisher cares about software that 20 years old because all they care about is Business, as in they want to focus on making money so they will neglect older software, no offense mate but i think it is you who has no understanding of what you're trying to say!
Up yours Fleexy!
keenmaster486
Vorticon Elite

Post by keenmaster486 »

I think Rorie was trying to say that most of the time people are lazy and will take the path of least resistance, and it's not usually worth a company's time to take legal action over 20-year-old software that isn't making them any money anyway.
I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.
Rorie

Post by Rorie »

keenmaster486 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 21:42 I think Rorie was trying to say that most of the time people are lazy and will take the path of least resistance, and it's not usually worth a company's time to take legal action over 20-year-old software that isn't making them any money anyway.
Thank you keenmaster486, there's people on here who often misunderstood me, Thank you for stepping in to clear things up
Up yours Fleexy!
Rorie

Post by Rorie »

Just checked my gog account to see if the duke nukem games I purchased including 1&2 if they had been removed, they're still there despite the fact you can no longer buy as digital downloads
Up yours Fleexy!