(Keen 4 version 1.1) Impossible Pogo Trick and ammo count

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
fgw3master
Grunt

(Keen 4 version 1.1) Impossible Pogo Trick and ammo count

Post by fgw3master »

I found the wiki and thought I could add this there, but the link to make an account didn't work. This is just random stuff that may not be very interesting, but I just wanted to type it somewhere for completeness sake.

Instead of timing button presses for the Impossible Pogo Trick: If you hold jump, keen will jump once instead of jumping continuously; with Keen on the ground and the jump button still held, if the pogo button is pressed, Keen will jump with Impossible Pogo Trick height. This can also be done while running. Doing the Impossible Pogo Trick this way makes it easier (for me) to quickly double-tap the pogo button in order to get the height of the pogo trick while immediately putting the pogo stick away for the increased control Keen has without the pogo stick.

The ammo count has room for three digits. If you collect enough ammo to go over 999, you still get the ammo. The ammo count will only show the last three digits of the amount you have. I do not yet know the limit, partially because I lost count of the thousands digit.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Re: (Keen 4 version 1.1) Impossible Pogo Trick and ammo count

Post by Roobar »

Wow nice find. I didn't knew about that impossible pogo jump execution. It also works in v1.0 and v1.4 and in Keen 5, so I think it's save to say it's working on all galaxy versions.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Welcome to the PCKF!

I think the maximum ammo is 32767 (0x7FFF), since adding one more to that would overflow the 16-bit variable used to store the ammo count, causing it to wrap around to -32768.
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

Fleexy wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 17:12I think the maximum ammo is 32767 (0x7FFF), since adding one more to that would overflow the 16-bit variable used to store the ammo count, causing it to wrap around to -32768.
Not really. I checked Keen 4 EGA v1.4 (Apogee release) and the In-game logic doesn't care about the actual value of the ammo variable. As long as the ammo is not zero, you can still fire new shots, which means the maximum ammo value would be 65535 (0xFFFF). Only the status menu and the optional ammo objects treat the variable as a signed 16-bit variable, everything else doesn't seem to care.

So the maximum amount of ammo you can have without causing some minor bugs is 32767. The actual limit (with some bugs) is 65535. Adding one more to that would overflow any 16-bit variable and the value would become 0 again.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

thanks a lot for your contribution and welcome to the forums,

I've checked the wiki's account request queue and there are currently no open pending account requests in this list. Can you please tell me what exactly does not work for you?
out now (link) : Image
fgw3master
Grunt

Post by fgw3master »

Nisaba wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:56 thanks a lot for your contribution and welcome to the forums,

I've checked the wiki's account request queue and there are currently no open pending account requests in this list. Can you please tell me what exactly does not work for you?
When I go to http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Main_Page and click on Request account (top right corner), I get "This page isn’t working
www.shikadi.net is currently unable to handle this request.
HTTP ERROR 500".
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

fgw3master wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 17:57 When I go to http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Main_Page and click on Request account (top right corner), I get "This page isn’t working
www.shikadi.net is currently unable to handle this request.
HTTP ERROR 500".
I've reported your issue to the KeenWIki host (Malv.) and he fixed the account request bug real quick. had something to do with the Captcha routine...
so by now things should work for you.
out now (link) : Image
fgw3master
Grunt

Post by fgw3master »

Wow. I have been busy for quite a while and haven't added this to the wiki.

One problem is that I am not sure how to phrase it. I wonder if there is some terminology I can use so I don't phrase it as awkwardly as I did in my first post. Anyone who comes up with a decent way of explaining it is welcome to post it.