Creating new retro modding community

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Re: Creating new retro modding community

Post by DoomJedi »

Thanks, I'm struggling with the code, what can I say.

Latest progress is that cars already move along the road (though quite shaking from upclose when player speed is low (though it's basically code that works well in the java version)), and also implemented the AI/Xoffset function...cars now avoid hitting player car from behind (and other cars, though hard to check with their speeds being too similar), but so far doing it using mostly offroad and also staying stuck to the side of the road, so alot yet to fix and calibrate (again, porting code from java version doesn't seem to work just as good as it's there).
Not to mention fps issues I have after implementing other cars movement.

Despite the great idea, my coding skills are inadequate to the task taken (going on mostly on pure passion to the project) and I do hope to get coding help along the way, that's my big hope, otherwise it might be...from long way to be done - to never.
You support is a very helpful thing to motivate me further, I can only wish some coder from this forum would get motivated to help out.

Bought a laptop so I can work on it from work as well.

Got boost of ideas for the project playing "Super ChaseHQ - Criminal Termination" on retropie, it's the most creative and advanced retro racer ever made. It's amazing what you can achieve in such engines, especially using sprites.
Though low resolutions helped retro racers to look "good", higher resolutions are much more unforgiving.
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Got too annoyed by SFML and that primitive engine.

Moved to C++ SDL2 GNU engine which is OutRun remake tribute, it's a very good start, really professionally written, great fps.
Downside is that it's GNU...try not to think of that for now.

So far mostly learning the engine. Removed polygon redundancy, implemented screenshots, different road sides, up/downhill car frames now work (original maker forgot to make those work)...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lw305ii5tzg47 ... n.bmp?dl=0
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

DoomJedi wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 14:03 [...]
Upside is that it's GNU!
obviously got another stand concerning the General Public License...

ps.:

Code: Select all

[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/lw305ii5tzg4796/screen.bmp?dl=1[/img]
by the way, awesome image! I'm missing the summer.
out now (link) : Image
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Nisaba wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 20:24 Upside is that it's GNU!
Well, I meant "Genenal Non-profit Use":
is a widely used free software license....The GPL is a copyleft license, which means that derivative work can only be distributed under the same license terms.
This is great for modding, but bad for making an indie game,
And my dream is to make an indie retro racer, "engine for modding" is only my "plan B" if the first one fails....

Though, keeping googling I found this:
Here, ‘free’ does not refer to payment or non-payment, rather it is related to the ‘freedom’ and ‘control’ rights that is passed on to users so that they can run the software, study it, change it, and also share it.
So GNU games still can be sold?
obviously got another stand concerning the General Public License...
This is weird, as Google tells me those terms are synonyms for the same license type.
by the way, awesome image! I'm missing the summer.
Then I should've make a screenshot of the "sea" part of the level :)
It's Outrun, that's why it was such a classic...and the music :)
The change from the original is the grass right side I defined, original had sand on both sides.
Resolution of this engine is great too, much higher than of the original game.
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

DoomJedi wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 20:46 Well, I meant "Genenal Non-profit Use":
is a widely used free software license....The GPL is a copyleft license, which means that derivative work can only be distributed under the same license terms.
This is great for modding, but bad for making an indie game,
And my dream is to make an indie retro racer, "engine for modding" is only my "plan B" if the first one fails....
You're misinterpreting the license. You are allowed to sell anything you want that's based on the GNU General Public License as the GPL only applies to the program code. As long as you release the full (modified) source code to the public, you're not violating the GPL.

As long as you don't embedd your game assets into the code, your game assets would not be covered by the GPL, so you don't have to release them to the public along with the source code if you don't want to. It's up to you whether you want to sell the game or release it for free.

Just to be clear, it has always been okay to sell anything even if it's released under the terms of the GPL. For example, John Carmack released the full source code for the iOS ports of Wolfenstein 3D and Doom under the GPL, but that didn't mean id Software couldn't sell the games on the iTunes store.

Also, GNU is not really a synonym for GPL. There are other GNU licenses, like the GNU Lesser General Public License (also referred to as Library license). The LGPL means your program can use the code from a .DLL file that's released under the terms of the LGPL and you're not required to release the full source code of your program if you use it like that.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Well, this is my first indie attempt, not an expert of all the license type stuff, always happy to learn :)
Thank you :)