InsaLev3 level pack

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.

Your favorite level?

01 - A - shikaddi
No votes
02 - B - X-Rack Project
No votes
03 - C - TheBigV
No votes
04 - D - PandaKeen
No votes
05 - E - proYorp
9%
06 - F - Roobar
No votes
07 - G - Quillax
No votes
08 - H - Nisaba
18%
09 - I - 55Aavenue
18%
10 - J - Troublesomekeen
9%
11 - K - KeenRush
9%
12 - L - Gridlock
36%

Total votes: 11

XrackProject
Vortininja

Re: InsaLev3 level pack

Post by XrackProject »

Well... I didnt know that there was any option for enabling unlimited lifes... :confused
A project for lifetime.
PaquoCastor
Grunt

Post by PaquoCastor »

Well this happened. Yet here I am with an unreleased wolf level on my hands. At least I can commentate when I get around to playing this.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

XrackProject wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 22:14 Well... I didnt know that there was any option for enabling unlimited lifes...
That's strange. This levelpack is patched to have infinite lives and no ammo (as can be seen in the pat.pat file)
I did notice the game overs in your stream. How did you manage to bypass the patches?!

proYorp wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:13 10-J, Troublesomekeen: This was pretty cool. It was definitely unexpected to see a remix of a Keen 1 level. Quite a fun little burst of peaceful familiarity to break up the difficulty of some of the other levels
55Aavenue wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 18:25 Like Roobar, even after all these years of playing Keen, I also didn't know collecting multiple ankhs at once increases invincibility time until I got to troublesomekeen's level!
I'm glad my level had a least a little merit. :crazy

I hope to have a review up before November's out.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

troublesomekeen wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:24 I hope to have a review up before November's out.
yeah. at least do the obligatory "First Look" vid. I missed that one badly.
out now (link) : Image
XrackProject
Vortininja

Post by XrackProject »

troublesomekeen wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:24
XrackProject wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 22:14 Well... I didnt know that there was any option for enabling unlimited lifes...

That's strange. This levelpack is patched to have infinite lives and no ammo (as can be seen in the pat.pat file)
I did notice the game overs in your stream. How did you manage to bypass the patches?!
I have no idea. I downloaded the zip file, openend it, put keen3.exe into it and started. I was even about to suggest to include unlimited lifes into this level pack, cause it was really annoying after all these deaths. ;D
A project for lifetime.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

XrackProject wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:04 I have no idea. I downloaded the zip file, openend it, put keen3.exe into it and started. I was even about to suggest to include unlimited lifes into this level pack, cause it was really annoying after all these deaths. ;D
I'm quoting:
KeenRush wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:35 [...] To play: take a fresh copy of Keen 3, extract and replace files, run "unlzexe keen3.exe" in DosBox command line, then run play.bat [...]
out now (link) : Image
PaquoCastor
Grunt

Post by PaquoCastor »

I speedmapped something, because I can.

Then I played around with a few of these levels. Much better than the above link.

Also, I knew that ankhs stacked.

edit: I have completed four of these levels, and that's enough for me. Good job.
Last edited by PaquoCastor on Sun Nov 25, 2018 20:15, edited 1 time in total.
shikadi
Vorticon Elite

Post by shikadi »

Playthrough : Click here
I learned that I am way more impatient in then the others, having played not a single level over 10 minutes. :O

I voted for gridlock's level

1 - shikaddi -my level

2 - X-Rack Project - Quite some annoying jumps, and dying right in front of the exit =(. Also in your YouTube stream, the amount of curse words to non-curse words is concerning :garg

3 - TheBigV - Didn't complete, really didn't want to try again after reaching the final ankh. In hindsight, Seems like I quit levels after seeing the exit.

4 - PandaKeen - Only level I completed in the first run.

5 - proYorp - After watching other videos, I might have tried to do this the wrong, difficult way.

6 - Roobar - I couldn't find the way to the exit. >:

7 - Quillax - Easy once I found the way, nice way to hide the exit.

8 - Nisaba - So, I apparetly choose the easiest road :o

9 - 55Aavenue - completed, through I was rather disoriented playing it.

10 - Troublesomekeen - This was a strange kind of nostalgic.

11 - KeenRush - I like that you kept it short, I didn't even complete a quarter of your insalev2 level, but this was short enough that I was willing to persist till completion.

12 - Gridlock - I though this was the most interesting level. Compared to the others, it has an unique design and if i hadn't completed it as quickly as I did, this would be the kind of level I would keep trying and trying till I completed it or died 400 times.
nothing usefull here
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

shikadi wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 19:51 6 - Roobar - I couldn't find the way to the exit. >:
HAHAHA! Sorry for the torture! Though your level was a torture for me as well. Now I have realized how much labyrinth-ish my level is. You went to all the possible wrong ways! 😂 It could have not worked better! 😂 I cannot believe it! OMG so funny lol
Last edited by Roobar on Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:18, edited 1 time in total.
shikadi
Vorticon Elite

Post by shikadi »

Roobar wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 20:37
shikadi wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 19:51 6 - Roobar - I couldn't find the way to the exit. >:
HAHAHA! Sorry for the torture! Though your level was a torture for me as well.
Payback! :mortlol :dopekeen
nothing usefull here
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

@XrackProject: Oh cool, you posted a video! I was hoping you would.
Extremely entertaining. I was amused that my level caused you to start having an existential crisis. XD
Also yeah, the patch file won't run unless you open the .bat file instead of the original .exe. It's a pretty common mistake.

Roobar wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 16:34 Btw by looking at the level pic now, I can see that coincidentally or not, there are 3 castle themed levels lol
I guess it is a pretty natural thing to build with these tiles.

shikadi wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 19:51 5 - proYorp - After watching other videos, I might have tried to do this the wrong, difficult way.
And that was the exact experience I had with your level!
:lol :lol :lol
[spoilers] I did seriously debate whether I should even put that ankh there (to the right under the starting area) in case it would confuse people like that.... I ended up leaving it to see if it would cause people to want to explore there but realise they can't get to it just yet. I guess that didn't quite work out. [/spoilers]

PaquoCastor wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 18:17 I speedmapped something, because I can.
BONUS LEVEL! :O Cool! I’ll write a review for that one too when I have time.

For now, I’ve finally set up a YouTube account and uploaded some of my play-through videos as promised. No audio commentary, but I did occasionally edit in some text for some kind of commentary effect.
So far I have about half of them uploaded:
https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLz ... SJDddrwNtl
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
XrackProject
Vortininja

Post by XrackProject »

proYorp wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:12 @XrackProject: Oh cool, you posted a video! I was hoping you would.
Extremely entertaining. I was amused that my level caused you to start having an existential crisis. XD
Also yeah, the patch file won't run unless you open the .bat file instead of the original .exe. It's a pretty common mistake.
The crysis was real but to be fair... it was a fair level. From the point of a non-Keen3-player it was enjoyable but thank God I had Nisaba telling me where to go. Some levels I just still dont understand. There are not enough ankhs to explore. So in your case there have been a lot of ankhs to even beat the level after falling down my mistake (wich I of course did! xD). :lol
A project for lifetime.
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

Okay, I finally uploaded the rest of my First Playthrough videos, a month after the fact. :dead Includes the second parts of the levels I didn’t finish straight away. Link is still here:
I also recorded my first playthrough of Paquo Castor’s level, because why not.

Speaking of which, I owe this one a review.
13-M, PaquoCastor: Short and sweet. Simplistic but decently challenging timed jump puzzles, with an element of quick thinking.

Due to the fact that I played this level a week(?) after the rest of them, it really stood out to me how unique it was in design, compared to the others. It’s really amazing how each individual’s style stands out in a minimalist set like this (which, as I recall, was the original reason Insalevs was started). Thanks again, KeenRush, for coming up with this idea and getting it going! :D It’s been a lot of fun.

Now I suppose I have to vote for a level. It’s a really tough choice here, but I think I’m going to vote for Gridlock’s. His is the most innovative, with a lot of depth to it. I like depth. 8)
A close second though, is troublesomekeen’s level. I really like the concept of taking something familiar, a level the player likely knows by heart, and putting a new spin on it. I love that I knew exactly where every ankh was. Aside from some good ol’ Long Hallway Syndrome, I think I actually had the most fun with this one, strangely enough.

troublesomekeen wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:24 I hope to have a review up before November's out.
Well, it may not be November anymore, but I’d still be interested to hear your take on things. (That is, if you have time. I don’t want to be pushy. :yorp)
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Clearly, we have a winner: Gridlock. Congrats on winning! Here's a small Korath for you: :korath

The conclusion for me from this contest is that people don't like mazes with dead ends, but prefer rather uniquely designed and challenging (but not too much challenging) levels. While my level succeed at not being too hard, it failed to entertain fellow keeners. Oh well. Maybe next time.