The Mortrix (upcoming K2 mod)

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Re: Upcoming Keen 2 mod

Post by Quillax »

So, troublesomekeen, I assume your message means you're not beta-testing, right? I just want to make sure, since if that's the case, then I can send the beta to Roobar if no one else wants to test it out.
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Re: The Mortrix (upcoming K2 mod)

Post by Quillax »

Hey, guys! On my site, I just posted some more screenshots and details on the mod, such as the name reveal (the mod is called The Mortrix). I'll just quote the whole thing:
Hello, everybody! I know it's been a while since this site had a news update; I've been rather busy lately. Today's Christmas, though, and I thought I'd wish you all a Merry Christmas, as I had a nice one this year! I got some nice gifts and had a good time with my family overall. Anyway, with that said, I'd like to talk about The Mortrix.

Now, what's The Mortrix, as you might be wondering? Well, it's the name of the Keen 2 mod I showed in the previous update, which is... *ahem* FINISHED!! That's right, the mod is complete... but before you go to the Mods page to check, I want to say that The Mortrix isn't released yet! It's currently being beta-tested by biffstudly and troublesomekeen, two members of the PCKF, an amazing Keen fan community! Feedback has been rather positive, with praise especially going to the huge variety of graphics and level content, which is nice to hear! Variety is one of the things I aimed for in this mod, as I tried to make each level feel distinctive in terms of graphics, layout, and content.

So, while you might not be able to experience a complete Keen adventure at the moment (although Bubbatom has just released his long-awaited Keen 5 mod, Suburb Shenanigans), I thought I'd show a few more screenshots, along with a few details as my Christmas present for all of you Keen fans:

As you might have guessed it, Commander Keen's arch-nemesis, Mortimer McMire, has a sneaky trick that he has fallen for. Keen's computer, the Doscom, has sucked himself in after being infected by a virus! The Maltimers, glitchy-looking soldiers that have been seen in a couple screenshots above, are roaming around the computer, messing up stuff and trying to get rid of Keen once and for all! It'll be quite a journey for Keen, as he tries to wipe out the virus itself!

So, that's all for now! Keep in mind that there is much more in The Mortrix that hasn't been shown yet; I just don't want to spoil everything in the mod. I'm looking forward to the day The Mortrix is released, which has still not been set yet. Anyways, Merry Christmas!
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
55Aavenue
Vortininja

Post by 55Aavenue »

Keen enters Level 1-1 of Super Mario Bros. 3!! Very cool, looking forward to this!
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

Ooooh that looks cool, especially the title screen there. Is that a Mario mushroom in a jar?
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

lol @ the yorp power button :)
nanomekia
Vorticon Elite

Post by nanomekia »

Dang, this looks seriously awesome. I may have to give it a go when it's ready to, well, go!
Writer. Translator. Player of games. Only bites when asked nicely.

"That's ten pounds of yikes in a five-pound bag."
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

Thanks for the replies, guys! It's really nice to see the kind words for the mod. :D
proYorp wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 23:23 Ooooh that looks cool, especially the title screen there. Is that a Mario mushroom in a jar?
That mushroom is supposed to be the same mushroom Keen took in The Morticore (my previous Vorticons mod), although it was inspired by the mushrooms from Mario. Speaking of The Morticore, if you were to look to the left of the same screen, you'll find the green flute that was taken in said mod as well. :)
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Can't wait! Thanks for the new screens. The title screen looks cool -- and I can never understand how anyone has the patience (and skill) to draw the full keyboard. :lol
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Holy mackerel! what a promising title screen. I love visual storytelling and this one is bodacious!
I had just this idea I wanna share with you real quick: what do you think about moving the "F1 for help" text to the CRT computer monitor? ...
out now (link) : Image
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Or inside the monitor screen.
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

Wow, that's a brilliant idea, Nisaba and Roobar! I added the "F1 for help" text into the monitor screen, and I think it looks good!

Anyway, I'd like to say that the mod is now out! For more info and a download link, check here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4753