Obscure artists

Discuss your favorite movies, books, and music here or just lounge around and see what other people think is classy.
Post Reply
User avatar
candyjack
Vortininja
Posts: 147
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 21:20
Location: Fribbulus Xax
Contact:

Obscure artists

Post by candyjack » Wed Dec 26, 2018 13:16

Something strange happened the other day. I stumbled upon an amazing song on Youtube. So I looked him up, but his Wikipedia page looked like it was written by himself. None of his records are being sold on Amazon. With some effort, I could find an entire playlist of his songs on Youtube, and to my astonishment, they all had less than 10 views and 0 comments. It feels quite exclusive to be one of the few people who's heard that music. But at the same time, it's a sin to keep it all to yourself. The artist I'm talking about is Gary Tanin. This is his best song. (That link goes to the entire playlist.)

What are some obscure artists that you admire?
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x].

User avatar
proYorp
Vortininja
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:56
Location: mspaint.exe

Re: Obscure artists

Post by proYorp » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:58

Well, to start off, I do enjoy the music of the resident Keening composers. Gamebird, Mr. M, ZidaneA, kvee, I listen to their remixes and songs they've made for mods on a semi-regular basis. Additionally, I really like kvee's chiptunes he makes. I was even inspired to start messing around with chiptunes a bit myself.

But I'm sure you already know about them. One obscure artist I've found is known as Klereherrie. He mostly does covers, but has a few original songs, which I think are pretty good.

Less obscure, but not super well-know (definitely way more than 10 views per video), one of my personal favourite artists is Waterflame. He does a wide variety of genres, from atmospheric to DnB, and all of it is pretty solid IMO. This is one of my favourites: Thunderzone v2
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." :yorp

Benvolio
Vorticon Elite
Posts: 615
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 12:43
Location: Ireland
Contact:

For those with a taste for Soul Music

Post by Benvolio » Thu Dec 27, 2018 18:11

Hmmm. Well, this song I have known since I was about 2 - it was on the first CD I ever listened to, which was a cheap supermarket soul music compliation. It is actually a B-side of the popular disco-era hit "Bustin' Loose" and an album track from the album of that name. Yet the most viewed upload on YouTube has 302 views (whereas the A side has at least 2 million views on youtube based on the first couple of uploads)... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq_FVmD-Wxc

To me it sounds amazing and gives me chills as it was one of the first things I was aware of. But maybe to others it sounds ordinary.

User avatar
candyjack
Vortininja
Posts: 147
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 21:20
Location: Fribbulus Xax
Contact:

Re: Obscure artists

Post by candyjack » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:00

And now it has 314 views.

Image

Coincidence? I think not.

On the subject of soul, there's also Wait a Minute by The Newday. We had to study / play it for musical education in high school. I always thought it was a popular song because of that. But a while ago I was curious about more of their music, and couldn't find anything at all. No other songs by them, no Wikipedia page, nothing. That song was also released on a compilation, and it may be their only song that ever got released. Even though it's a great song.
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x].

User avatar
candyjack
Vortininja
Posts: 147
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 21:20
Location: Fribbulus Xax
Contact:

Re: Obscure artists

Post by candyjack » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:16

proYorp wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:58
Well, to start off, I do enjoy the music of the resident Keening composers. Gamebird, Mr. M, ZidaneA, kvee, I listen to their remixes and songs they've made for mods on a semi-regular basis. Additionally, I really like kvee's chiptunes he makes. I was even inspired to start messing around with chiptunes a bit myself.

But I'm sure you already know about them. One obscure artist I've found is known as Klereherrie. He mostly does covers, but has a few original songs, which I think are pretty good.

Less obscure, but not super well-know (definitely way more than 10 views per video), one of my personal favourite artists is Waterflame. He does a wide variety of genres, from atmospheric to DnB, and all of it is pretty solid IMO. This is one of my favourites: Thunderzone v2
On the subject of Keening artists: I really love Shikadi Rock by Mink. I couldn't find it online, so I uploaded it myself. Do let me know if that website works, because sometimes people report it doesn't work for them.
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x].

User avatar
Nisaba
Vorticon Elite
Posts: 903
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 23:34
Location: The Outpost
Contact:

Re: Obscure artists

Post by Nisaba » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:27

Off Topic:
candyjack wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:16
@candyjack are you by any chance M. the Candyjunk???
"We have come to conquer you all and bring you lots of candy!" | about me | my current project: play Keen mods on a GameBoy |

User avatar
proYorp
Vortininja
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:56
Location: mspaint.exe

Re: Obscure artists

Post by proYorp » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:22

candyjack wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:16
Do let me know if that website works, because sometimes people report it doesn't work for them.
Works fine for me. That's a classic, alright. (By the way, the mod the song is used in was made by Mink, but the song itself was composed by Mr. M. ;) )
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." :yorp

User avatar
candyjack
Vortininja
Posts: 147
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 21:20
Location: Fribbulus Xax
Contact:

Re: Obscure artists

Post by candyjack » Mon Jan 14, 2019 15:43

Nisaba wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:27
Off Topic:
candyjack wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:16
@candyjack are you by any chance M. the Candyjunk???
This gets asked more often but no, I am not. I am candyjack.
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x].

User avatar
Nisaba
Vorticon Elite
Posts: 903
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 23:34
Location: The Outpost
Contact:

Re: Obscure artists

Post by Nisaba » Mon Jan 14, 2019 16:08

candyjack wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 15:43
Nisaba wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:27
Off Topic:
candyjack wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:16
@candyjack are you by any chance M. the Candyjunk???
This gets asked more often but no, I am not. I am candyjack.
Image
"We have come to conquer you all and bring you lots of candy!" | about me | my current project: play Keen mods on a GameBoy |

Benvolio
Vorticon Elite
Posts: 615
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 12:43
Location: Ireland
Contact:

Re: Obscure artists

Post by Benvolio » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:30

proYorp wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:58
One obscure artist I've found is known as Klereherrie.
Just went back and had another look... my favourite is that Eiffel 65 cover on the floppy drives.

User avatar
MoffD
Vorticon Elite
Posts: 1181
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 17:30
Location: /dev/null
Contact:

Re: Obscure artists

Post by MoffD » Fri Feb 08, 2019 13:49

Floppy Drive Music? Now that's a wonderful little rabbit hole to go down. :D
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Image

User avatar
candyjack
Vortininja
Posts: 147
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 21:20
Location: Fribbulus Xax
Contact:

Re: Obscure artists

Post by candyjack » Fri Feb 08, 2019 17:46

Benvolio wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:30
proYorp wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:58
One obscure artist I've found is known as Klereherrie.
Just went back and had another look... my favourite is that Eiffel 65 cover on the floppy drives.
On the subject of Eiffel 65: did you know that they are only well-known in Europe? I only discovered that recently.
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x].

User avatar
proYorp
Vortininja
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:56
Location: mspaint.exe

Re: Obscure artists

Post by proYorp » Fri Feb 08, 2019 22:40

MoffD wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 13:49
Floppy Drive Music? Now that's a wonderful little rabbit hole to go down. :D
Haha, yeah. From recommendations on that video, I found this other guy that does all manner of song covers on an orchestra of floppy drives and other equipment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oym7B7YidKs
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." :yorp

User avatar
proYorp
Vortininja
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:56
Location: mspaint.exe

Re: Obscure artists

Post by proYorp » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:50

Since we've already mentioned floppy drive music here...
"Commander Keen 5 on Floppy Drives"
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." :yorp

Post Reply