Anyone have Invasion of the Vorticons mail order floppy?

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
springpop
Grunt

Anyone have Invasion of the Vorticons mail order floppy?

Post by springpop »

Hi guys,

I recently purchased Invasion of the vorticons ( one contains ep 1-3) original 3.5" apogee disk for around $40 from a private seller. Turns out after paying, the selller without asking me just felt like removing some small writing with an eraser but ended up damaging and smugding the entire label.

i'm in the process of returning it back now.

Does anyone have a original copy invasion of the vorticons copy you could sell. I'm a bit traumatized and maddened by this event and so would really appreciate it.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Re: Anyone have Invasion of the Vorticons mail order floppy?

Post by Benvolio »

Hi springpop and welcome to PCKF. Doesnt look like anybody noticed your topic. I don't own that disk (and lamentably I cannot find the magazine 5 1/4 disk I had Keen1 on). It does sound like a bizzarre thing that happened to you/your disk. Have you any pictures to show us???

It would be interesting to find out who owns what sorts of copies of the various Keen games... perhaps I will make a poll om the topic.

Are you a collector of video game related items in general? Or is your enthusiasm focused in a more specific way towards Keen (the latter being the case for most members of this forum)?
Mobiethian
Vortininja

Post by Mobiethian »

From what I remember as a kid, the floppy disk games were ordered from a game magazine with teaser screenshots. The diskettes that I got were always 5 and 1/4 and had labels printed with the game title.

If I find my old Keen 1 diskette, I'll get it to you somehow. Unfortunately I haven't seen it since it was packed away several years ago.
springpop
Grunt

Post by springpop »

Mobiethian wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 0:47 From what I remember as a kid, the floppy disk games were ordered from a game magazine with teaser screenshots. The diskettes that I got were always 5 and 1/4 and had labels printed with the game title.

If I find my old Keen 1 diskette, I'll get it to you somehow. Unfortunately I haven't seen it since it was packed away several years ago.
Hi sorry for the late response please let me know if you have it. Thanks

Would you also consider selling a boxed copy of good bye galaxy?
Last edited by Fleexy on Tue Mar 26, 2019 15:40, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: merge double post
springpop
Grunt

Post by springpop »

Benvolio wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 17:54 Hi springpop and welcome to PCKF. Doesnt look like anybody noticed your topic. I don't own that disk (and lamentably I cannot find the magazine 5 1/4 disk I had Keen1 on). It does sound like a bizzarre thing that happened to you/your disk. Have you any pictures to show us???

It would be interesting to find out who owns what sorts of copies of the various Keen games... perhaps I will make a poll om the topic.

Are you a collector of video game related items in general? Or is your enthusiasm focused in a more specific way towards Keen (the latter being the case for most members of this forum)?

Hi thanks for the response. Do you have any games yourself? I will make a post about it
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

I have no collection of games sadly. Unless a 3drealms Keen CD from circa 2003 counts. It might not be a collector's item now but give it another 20 or 30 years!
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

Benvolio wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 13:57 I have no collection of games sadly. Unless a 3drealms Keen CD from circa 2003 counts. It might not be a collector's item now but give it another 20 or 30 years!
That actually is something interesting. Can you scan the box art?
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

I will do so when next I get home! It just came in a jewel case, the only artwork is on the CD.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Benvolio wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 21:14 Image
out now (link) : Image
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

Benvolio wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 21:14 https://imgur.com/a/ryV0epA
Thanks!
Out of curiosity, have you ever ripped it?
It's 20 years old, so who knows how much longer it'll last.

Maybe there's something interesting hidden in the "unused" portions of the disc that Recuva could pick up.
jayo
Vortininja

Post by jayo »

Nisaba wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 22:04
Benvolio wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 21:14 Image
I have that same CD! The CD has a few shareware games on it and some bonus screenshots in an extra folder.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Yes I recall back in 03, when I got the CD, playing Wacky Wheels and Hocus Pocus for the first time from the disc. Needless to say these could be downloaded online however on my home PC I had no internet, so all external material had to be ferried from my grandmother's or dad's computer on floppy disks. So most likely those titles would not have fit on those 1.44mb diskettes.

The only other game I bought was AOEII Gold Edition.... I remember (as awkward teenager) thinking I had enough cash for the roughly 25 euro game, going into the shop and being about 2 quid short and having to leave. Then finding the missing loose change and going back in and getting the craved game. I remember on the way home with my Age of Empires game thinking "this means the end for my modding career". Though it did probably contribute to a multifactorial slump in output, thankfully time has allowed more modding to occur!

Kids nowadays probably have contactless bank cards replete with wealth and never have these awkward mishaps. I think we appreciated our hard fought for physical media all the more back then.