Commander Keen 6: Aliens Ate My Babysitter! - version 1.6 (unofficial mod patch)

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Commander Keen 6: Aliens Ate My Babysitter! - version 1.6 (unofficial mod patch)

Post by szemi »

Hey, I just managed to finish this little work.

Download now: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8tpewlkp74s56 ... 6.zip?dl=0
Demo video: https://youtu.be/BeR_A4zj1gw

NOTE: Not all bugs were fixed since some of them would ruin the gameplay, etc.
NOTE 2: If you still find something unusual in the game (leftover bug or something else), let me know. :)

Only constructive criticism allowed. If you have negative, do that constructively!
Yeah, piece of cake!
Mobiethian
Vortininja

Re: Commander Keen 6: Aliens Ate My Babysitter! - version 1.6 (unofficial mod patch)

Post by Mobiethian »

I'll definitely try this out when I can! Wishing it could be now but I'm using mobile only.
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Re: Commander Keen 6: Aliens Ate My Babysitter! - version 1.6 (unofficial mod patch)

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

Some nitpicking:
  • You changed the spelling of the game's title from "Baby Sitter" to "Babysitter", but you didn't change it on the title screen. If you want to change that, too, you can use the title screen from my "Aliens Ate My Little Sister" fangame as a basis for moving the text around: Image
  • I don't think changing "Keen hops across Bloogwaters Cossing" to "Keen hops across the Bloogwaters Crossing" was necessary. But since English is only my second language, it would be nice to get somebody else to comment on that.
  • I don't like the "Id" logo you created for the intro. I would have just kept the original, since that was the same logo as in Keen 1-3 and even the yellow/blue "Id" logo in the help texts of Keen 4-5 and Wolf3D had the same style (capital "I" with a slightly smaller, but still capital "D"). If I would have changed it at all, I would have made it look like the current "id" logo.
  • I have no idea why you decided to make most the tiles above the domes fully blocking and add tons of deadly orbs next to the blocking tiles. Why? WHY!? It looks ugly, especially that wall of death on the right side of the second dome. It makes the level look like a badly designed game level instead of an actual organic building on an alien planet. Is that really what you wanted to achieve?
  • I'm not sure how much you actually changed, but slapping that "Copyright 2019 Szemigi (v1.6)" onto the startup screen is ridiculous. If I fix the few things mentioned above and re-re-release this as v1.7 do I get to slap "Copyright 2019 K1n9_Duk3" on the startup screen as well? Seriously, I think the startup screen should say "UNOFFICIAL Version 1.6" instead of that copyright nonsense.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
55Aavenue
Vortininja

Post by 55Aavenue »

K1n9_Duk3 wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:53 I don't think changing "Keen hops across Bloogwaters Cossing" to "Keen hops across the Bloogwaters Crossing" was necessary. But since English is only my second language, it would be nice to get somebody else to comment on that.
The "the" should definitely not be there; it was correct the way it was.

I found this part of the readme file rather amusing:
- typos and grammatic erros have been fixed
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Even after fixing, nothing can still be 100% perfect. And your mocking leaves me on cold...

You changed the spelling of the game's title from "Baby Sitter" to "Babysitter", but you didn't change it on the title screen. If you want to change that, too, you can use the title screen from my "Aliens Ate My Little Sister" fangame as a basis for moving the text around: Image[*]
Thanks. I just didn't want to change in favour of the original game, but I'll change it to make it better and like I said again, thanks.

I don't think changing "Keen hops across Bloogwaters Cossing" to "Keen hops across the Bloogwaters Crossing" was necessary. But since English is only my second language, it would be nice to get somebody else to comment on that.
Well, didn't know myself either that the "the" is not necessary. Somehow I felt it sounds wrong. Nevermind.
Besides, I tell you in hungarian we would use that, but that's irrelevant in this theme.

I don't like the "Id" logo you created for the intro. I would have just kept the original, since that was the same logo as in Keen 1-3 and even the yellow/blue "Id" logo in the help texts of Keen 4-5 and Wolf3D had the same style (capital "I" with a slightly smaller, but still capital "D"). If I would have changed it at all, I would have made it look like the current "id" logo.
The problem is I didn't know which is the current design nowadays? "id", "ID", or "Id"? But thanks to your answer, I know what to do. :)

I have no idea why you decided to make most the tiles above the domes fully blocking and add tons of deadly orbs next to the blocking tiles. Why? WHY!? It looks ugly, especially that wall of death on the right side of the second dome. It makes the level look like a badly designed game level instead of an actual organic building on an alien planet. Is that really what you wanted to achieve?
Well, it is because I changed the tile property of the dome edge tiles to fully blocking to fix the bug that leads player to complete the level without using the gems. And after changing them to fully blocked, on some part of the dome edge tiles it was like Keen can walk on the "air" (the part of the blocked tile). So I achieved bugfixing, if you get this method. But if you really wanna fix this dome thing, jump in and fix it together. :D

I'm not sure how much you actually changed, but slapping that "Copyright 2019 Szemigi (v1.6)" onto the startup screen is ridiculous. If I fix the few things mentioned above and re-re-release this as v1.7 do I get to slap "Copyright 2019 K1n9_Duk3" on the startup screen as well? Seriously, I think the startup screen should say "UNOFFICIAL Version 1.6" instead of that copyright nonsense.
I can add UNOFFICIAL, no problem. I wouldn't call this ridiculous, it just doesn't fit since it's really unofficial (I say after all, too). That's all.
You get a slap if we don't fix it together! :x (Just kidding. :lol)

After all, we could say version 1.7 that was made by me and you, K1n9_Duk3.
Do you agree with fixing other things with me?
Yeah, piece of cake!
55Aavenue
Vortininja

Post by 55Aavenue »

szemi wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 14:15

Even after fixing, nothing can still be 100% perfect. And your mocking leaves me on cold...
I wasn't intending to mock you, I just thought it was a funny mistake. Everyone makes typos and spelling mistakes sometimes.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

It sounded like that for the first time. Nevermind.

EDIT: In the meantime, I changed my mind, so there won't be version 1.7. And as for you, K1n9_Duk3, I say you should learn to respect what I made instead of nitpicking. Good? And sorry, but after all my unofficial version 1.6 load screen is pretty good, so no, no version 1.7 by you. :)
Yeah, piece of cake!
TestTester
Meep

Post by TestTester »

Hello!
Good that even in 2019 there is little activity here. I have couple of issues with Keen 6 & Keen 10 (as based on 6)

I have tried to get Keen 10 working and it requires keen6 exe and i have tried many sites and tried to download the full game. I got a working copy of keen 6 but using its exe doesn't work with this patch thingy and keen 10.
When I test this patch it just gives this screen: Image
And when I use the exe on Keen 10, it is just messed up, how can I fix this? Image

Thanks in advance! And if I need to have some legit keen 6 version, where can I get this?
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Use Keen 6 v1.4 + decompress KEEN6.EXE with UNLZEXE.

(But Keen 10 doesn't belong to this topic...)
Yeah, piece of cake!