Commander Keen in Keen Meets the Meats

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Anoba
Vortininja

Commander Keen in Keen Meets the Meats

Post by Anoba »

I heard tell that a mod had been or is being worked on for a Keen Meets the Meats game. I'd like to know if that's finished, ongoing, or where it's at as I like to have something to look forward to.
Compromising folks drive cars. Wise folks ride bikes and trains. Clever folks ride pogo-sticks.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Is it like Keen Dreams except with meat instead of vegetables?
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Anoba
Vortininja

Post by Anoba »

Yeah, it's mentioned at the end of Keen Dreams I think, like during the ending sequence. I believe that the conventional wisdom on the thing is that it may just have been joke, but that if it happened it would have been off to the side of the main chronology. At least I think. But I heard someone had progressed somewhat on a mod and I'm hoping to see it, to play it, and to be a better man for it.
Compromising folks drive cars. Wise folks ride bikes and trains. Clever folks ride pogo-sticks.
jonnyspeight
Vorticon Elite

Post by jonnyspeight »

yeah if they made that then it would've been wierd
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

There certainly was nothing like this released yet.

But the Mod "Bad Dreams" features some kind of a reverse Dreams set, where Keen collects fruit for points and has to avoid evil candy and a giant slice of pizza.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

The game, which was to be an official episode, was never produced, much like The Universe Is Toast.

It is in fact possible to mod the graphics of Keen Dreams, and I did indeed try this, but a full mod was not completed.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Anoba
Vortininja

Post by Anoba »

Levellass,
I've always been fascinated by living, dancing meat. Aint anyone in hear seen Jan Svankmejer's "Lunacy"? Let me be quick to the point. Levellass, would you please post screenshots of your partial meat mod? I'd be thankful, and others in the community likely have an interest in your work too.
Thanks.
jonnyspeight
Vorticon Elite

Post by jonnyspeight »

it'd be an even better episode if it turned out keen was vegetarian :disguised
Time's Wasting And Evil Doesn't Thwart Itself
matonen
Vortininja

Post by matonen »

Now wouldnt that be ironic! :)
Anoba
Vortininja

Post by Anoba »

Honestly, I couldn't eat brussel sprouts for years after playing that game. Were the sprouts the awful looking green fellows? It's been so long. I don't remember anymore. If Keen were in a "Meets the Meats" mod, I wish it would be a mod of episodes 4,5, or 6 and not of Dreams. That's right. You heard me. Pogo stick!
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

If I was making a meat-based sequel to Keen Dreams I would call it "Big Trouble in the Little Downtown Deli".
jonnyspeight
Vorticon Elite

Post by jonnyspeight »

and set it in the bloog factories!
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I'd really like to see it as a KeenDreams mod. Should be a great engine for this story with the Flower Power.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
jonnyspeight
Vorticon Elite

Post by jonnyspeight »

a keen dreams mod would also be good for a prequel, set before Vorticons. y'know, before he finishes his BwB and gets his pogo and neural stunner and stuff, maybe he throws rocks :foot
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

jonnyspeight wrote:a keen dreams mod would also be good for a prequel, set before Vorticons. y'know, before he finishes his BwB and gets his pogo and neural stunner and stuff, maybe he throws rocks :foot
Haha, like Commander Keen Jr.? (kinda like Super Mario World 2) You go through his house and fight off a minor alien invasion. Then you could use ABC blocks as platforms like Jazz Jackrabbit does in some levels.