Keen Dreams somehow makes it to Nintendo Switch

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
Mobiethian
Vortininja

Re: Keen Dreams somehow makes it to Nintendo Switch

Post by Mobiethian »

Roobar wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 17:58 I wasn't referring to you. I was referring to some opinions on twitter I've red from people who are not on this forum.
I thought you were, sorry. No biggie. On topic, I don't think I'll get a chance to play this game anytime soon because of not having a Switch but I hope it's being enjoyed by many. Keen rarely gets some of the limelight that he deserves.
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

K1n9_Duk3 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 21:15 All I know is that in 2014 an individual named Javier M. Chavez bought the rights to Keen Dreams from Flat Rock Software after a more or less successful indiegogo campaign. Here's the PCKF thread. I suppose Flat Rock Software owned whatever was left of Softdisk Publishing at that time, as they also released the full source code for Hovertank 3D and all six Catacomb games the same year.

I can only guess that Mr. Chavez decided to do business under the name Hard Disk Publishing later on.
Wow, that thread was a bit of a roller coaster. At the very least I guess I can appreciate that after all that some decent folks are still able to license the game, in spite of everything that happened there and with the Steam store.
RoboBlue wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 21:09 I really like the porting job they did.
The music, while a bit bland, goes a long way towards making the game feel complete.
RoboBlue wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 18:58 I encourage everyone to buy this new release because it's clear that someone who actually cares is working on an official Keen product for the first time in 25 years.
While I admittedly shut the music off, I can at least appreciate that they're looking to add something rather than just a least-effort port. Part of me can't imagine the game will find much of a new audience with the amount of shovelware unfortunately creeping into the Switch eShop to get lost among, but it is definitely encouraging that it's got any visibility at all on a mainstream platform again.
Combine Garg and Apples in a bowl, simmer over medium heat for several years. Season with a pinch of regret.
Mobiethian
Vortininja

Post by Mobiethian »

Maybe the release will open up doors for possible future Keen games. I'd personally like to get involved with development somehow.
Lunick
Vortininja

Post by Lunick »

Mobiethian wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:59 Maybe the release will open up doors for possible future Keen games. I'd personally like to get involved with development somehow.
I don't think this release will inspire Zenimax at all to do anything. If the Steam release couldn't then I don't see why the Switch release would either. It never charted in any region's eShop.
Lunick is Here
Mobiethian
Vortininja

Post by Mobiethian »

Oh, that's a shame. We do have the resources/talent on this very forum to develop the next big CK title. Wink! I could only hope for that someday.

So I finally watched the gameplay video after holding back for a while. The music isn't much to hype over as previously mentioned. The wonderful composers here on PCKF could've done a much better job.
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

There's really nothing stopping us from creating a 2D sidescrolling platformer starring an out of shape guy in his late 30s on a pogo stick who travels through space and time, and then putting it on the Switch Eshop.

Captain Kid in Goodbye Childhood!
Mobiethian
Vortininja

Post by Mobiethian »

Or perhaps a direct sequel to Keen Dreams! :D I could only "dream" of it.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

RoboBlue wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:11 There's really nothing stopping us from creating a 2D sidescrolling platformer starring an out of shape guy in his late 30s on a pogo stick who travels through space and time, and then putting it on the Switch Eshop.

Uh yeah right. That's easier to say than to make. If that was true, then there would have been plenty of platformers already made. How many games have you made?
Mobiethian
Vortininja

Post by Mobiethian »

The thing is we can pull all of our resources together to make a game for Steam or maybe even Switch if it gets that far. In all seriousness, I believe wholeheartedly that we could pull it off.

The fans making a release for Sonic was an example of forces being joined to come up with something new using the original formula. Why not Keen too?
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I'll tell you why. What happened to The Commander Keen Community Mod?
Mobiethian
Vortininja

Post by Mobiethian »

When did that start? It could've been before my time here because I would've gladly contributed and pushed for development.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

It seems that it started all the way back in 2003 http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Command ... munity_Mod :O
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

Roobar wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 15:57
RoboBlue wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:11 There's really nothing stopping us from creating a 2D sidescrolling platformer starring an out of shape guy in his late 30s on a pogo stick who travels through space and time, and then putting it on the Switch Eshop.

Uh yeah right. That's easier to say than to make. If that was true, then there would have been plenty of platformers already made. How many games have you made?
I meant nothing's stopping us in a legal sense.
Roobar wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:23 It seems that it started all the way back in 2003 http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Command ... munity_Mod :O
I wrote the initial story for it. :)
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

This is the website of one of the developers of this port: http://www.kevmiles.net/

You can find "Keen Dreams" under "Projects".
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

I see there was also a Reddit thread about this, in which Tom Hall was fairly active. :O

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch ... on_switch/
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image