Favorite Keen Levels, favorite Keen enemies you play just for sport?

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Favorite Keen Levels, favorite Keen enemies you play just for sport?

Post by Syllypryde »

My all time favorite Keen enemy, who is probably one of the most dangerous Keen enemies of all is the Krodacian Overlord in Keen 9: Battle of the Brains. At least once a week, sometimes more, I will play Elevator Access Station and the Krodacian Overlabs on Hard, just to battle the Overlords again and again, and those bastards are evil as all hell.

Of course, the Keen community probably knew that a long time ago, because ever since Keen 9 came out, my avatar pic has always been the Krodacian Overlord.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Re: Favorite Keen Levels, favorite Keen enemies you play just for sport?

Post by Roobar »

Ah yes. Shikadi Master mixed with Robo Red shooting firepower equals to one of the most dangerous enemies in keeniverse. However, if we talk just for sport, I'd say the keen 9 final battle boss is probably my favorite. And probably the finall boss of Atroxian Realms, though this is too hard for my taste. They both are hard, but Keen 9 boss is a bit better in a sense that it feels like a multiplayer deathmatch, which I like.

As for levels, I think Keen 6 levels are the most fun overall. Most of them aren't too hard and are well balanced.
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

Keen 9 Mortimer boss for sure. A few years ago I would very frequently start up the game, cheat in some ammo and lives, warp to level, and just go at it. Great for a quick challenge or just to blow off some steam. :D I don't play it quite as often as I used to, but it's still a classic.

I think my favourite Keen levels are the ones in Keen 5. Keen 6 is more atmospheric, but I like the design gameplay-wise of the ones from Keen 5 better.
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
loop4ever
Grunt

Post by loop4ever »

proYorp, WOW! just a few days ago I decided to do the exact same thing, and I hadn't even seen your post. I still can't seem to beat it without saving though :crazy
loop4ever
Grunt

Post by loop4ever »

loop4ever wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 20:26 Keen 9 Mortimer boss for sure. A few years ago I would very frequently start up the game, cheat in some ammo and lives, warp to level, and just go at it. Great for a quick challenge or just to blow off some steam. :D I don't play it quite as often as I used to, but it's still a classic.
WOW! just a few days ago I decided to do the exact same thing, and I hadn't even seen your post. I still can't seem to beat it without saving though :crazy
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

Heh, I don't think I beat it more than a few times on all those crazy runs I did. Still was fun though.

Welcome to the forums! I hope you enjoy your stay in our little corner of the internet. :)
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
loop4ever
Grunt

Post by loop4ever »

Well, I finally was able to beat it yesterday.
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

My favorite Keen enemy growing up was the Flect. I liked him because he was yellow and he let you stun Keen (an expression unique to Keen6, along with getting knocked down by the Blooguards' clubs).

Nowadays I really appreciate the original Vorticons, because of their varied behavior. An enemy that walks, runs, jumps, leaps, and idles? It's more personality than many modern games! Most efforts to 'update' Keen:Vorticons to Keen:Galaxy get stumped simply because there's no enemy in later Keen games that comes anywhere close to the Vorticon!
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

I always loved the Nospike. It was fun to lure it into charging at you and then jump over it.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

clearly Skypest! it's a long-term love-hate relationship.
I was always fascinated by their unpredictability and scared to death at the same time. and it's so satisfying to finally squish them.
out now (link) : Image