OFF TOPIC THREAD: Where derailing the thread is impossible!

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Re: OFF TOPIC THREAD: Where derailing the thread is impossible!

Post by Quillax »

proYorp wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 22:44 Well, I was waiting to see if this guy would post about this here, but after this long I doubt he's going to.
Has anyone else seen this? It's a Keen 1 mod, released just after Insalevs3, on ModDB.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/fireblaze-cu ... ragonlords

Should there be a topic about this?
Roobar wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:43 The most interesting thing about this mod is that it has been released outside of our community, which doesn't happen often, if ever. This is strange given that the guy should have been here to download the mod tools and read some tutorials about modding and also promoting it.. But also he has not credited anyone from here, neither he mentioned any of the tools he used.

Also, although it is only January, this makes it the second Vorticons mod released this year (which already makes the beginning of this year epic), although technically, it is a last year mod.
Wow! It's very interesting to know that we actually had not one, but TWO Keen 1 mods in 2018! :O One just wasn't released on the PCKF! For tools, I think the author got them from KeenWiki, which also has modding tutorials. The author probably never heard of the PCKF. This mod should be added to the wiki, though.
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

Listing modding utilities used has become customary in this community, but if he’s not familiar with the “traditions” here I don’t suppose he would.
I think it is likely he just used KeenWiki. If you search “commander keen modding” on Google, KeenWiki is the top result, and after scrolling awhile our forums don’t even come up. (EDIT: Okay, Keen:Modding comes up. Earlier when I did a search I didn't see it.)
I mean, I learned how to mod just from using KeenWiki and some other mods I had for reference, before I’d ever visited this forum. (So, great work on that, KeenWiki contributors! It's a very good resource.)

My guess is he just decided on his own to make a Commander Keen mod, googled it, found the info he needed, and just rolled with it.
Although according to his ModDB profile, he’s friended to szemi and DoomJedi, so he does have some kind of connection to the community. Maybe someone should try to contact him and tell him about this place.

Anyway, for now here's a makeshift release thread.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4760
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Just found out a new short fan-film based on Commander Keen that is neat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJVnrscweAQ
nanomekia
Vorticon Elite

Post by nanomekia »

Roobar wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:28 Just found out a new short fan-film based on Commander Keen that is neat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJVnrscweAQ
Dang, that IS neat.
Writer. Translator. Player of games. Only bites when asked nicely.

"That's ten pounds of yikes in a five-pound bag."
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

Coming this summer.

One man.
Old friends.
Older enemies.
And one final battle for the Earth.

The Commander
Rated PG-13

Seriously though, that is some impressive stuff. The acting is pretty solid, and the camera work is quite theatrical. It's easy to imagine this being a real full-length movie.
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Fantastic piece of work. I love Aussie creativity, most of the best original and fanfic type stuff seems to originate down there these days. I wonder are the makers of it PCKFers?

Whilst here I am prompted by the paltry flutter of snow that London has awoken to this morning, to say that I hope all is well with the North Americans amongst us. Particularly those in the Great Lakes region which apart from being the worst affected by this adverse cold weather, holds the distinction of being the home turf of Commander Keen himself.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Commander Keen took small portion and attention from the latest Mat Pat game theory video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqcEOxGzgvc
nanomekia
Vorticon Elite

Post by nanomekia »

Benvolio wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:15 I hope all is well with the North Americans amongst us.
*sulks at you from amidst the ginormous drifts* :P

All seriousness, though, doing alright I suppose. It'd just be nice not to have to go out and break up the skating rink that our second driveway currently is just to put the trash bins out...

Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

I'm not certain, but I think The Commander was filmed within an hour of where Commander Keen: The Teenage Years was shot. Must be something in the water. I'll send Shilor a link to make sure he sees it!
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Rorie
Tru-Blu Aussie Born & Bred

Post by Rorie »

Banishment ended, unashamed and unrepentant, in fact I would raise hell all over again, because I'm done, Heir Fleexy my resignation is on the table, delete this account, others have gone before me and now it is my time to fade into the darkness and the point of no return!
If you can't change the rules, challenge them, rules are made to be broken
Up yours Fleexy!
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Wow, talk about a grudge. Fleex, I'm pretty sure you're not taking the above post and that new signature to heart, but I'm going to say you have done an enormous amount of good for Keen fans. Between Abithar, saving/hosting both forums, and umpteen other contributions, you've become an essential pillar of this small community. Thank you.

The most alarming thing here is the above poster gets to vent this same confused anger at the ballot box in the next few weeks. Here's hoping that doesn't help the fash get someone up.

(Edit: minor grammatical thing.)
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
nanomekia
Vorticon Elite

Post by nanomekia »

Keening_Product wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 18:21 ... but I'm going to say you have done an enormous amount of good for Keen fans ...
Agreed. You're a good man, Fleexy.

MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Late to the thread, but just wanted to chime in; nobody's perfect, but your contributions are much appreciated Fleex. Keep on Keening on
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.