Foray in the Forest (development thread)

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
DarkAle
Vorticon Elite

Re: Foray in the Forest (development thread)

Post by DarkAle »

Nisaba wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 13:26
Roobar wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:46
55Aavenue wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:19
@Roobar & @55Aavenue
thanks for your advice. that's exactly the path I've already trod. of course I intend to keep on doing so.
I'm just looking for further ideas, which will help me to come up with new stuff to build a level around. I for one find it easier to define a level topic beforehand and subsequently doing the level design in line with this theme. so if you should have a suitable topic besides the ones already mentioned above, I would very much like to hear about it.

and yes I'm still working on this! thanks for all your kind words / motivation boost! It's always good to hear that people find interested in what I do.
current status: 20 creatures animated.
Cool.What's the status of the game?
Commander Keen in... Robot Apocalypse!
Episode 13: The Ultra Omegamatic viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6802
Episode 14: Secret of the Sorcerer viewtopic.php?t=13031
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

I'm glad you didn't give it, Nisaba. This mod must definitely be done.
Yeah, piece of cake!
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

happy KeenDay :birthday everybody,

here's a little sneak-peak for you guys:

Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Last edited by Nisaba on Fri Oct 16, 2020 13:45, edited 2 times in total.
out now (link) : Image
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

:love
Oh wow! That looks fantastic!
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

Fantastic, ideed. :O

It's amazing to see what great artwork people can pull off even with the limited 16 color EGA palette.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
55Aavenue
Vortininja

Post by 55Aavenue »

:O I am so excited for this mod!
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

Looking fantastic! I have always loved the more natural outdoor locations explored in keen games and mods and this stuff really hits the spot! Really liking the creative sprite ideas, I always have a hard time coming up with unique and distinct looking creatures for mods but you've got it down pat Nisaba!
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Roobar wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 21:29 :love Oh wow! That looks fantastic!
K1n9_Duk3 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 21:50 Fantastic, ideed. :O It's amazing to see what great artwork people can pull off even with the limited 16 color EGA palette.
55Aavenue wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:04 :O I am so excited for this mod!
Bubbatom wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 22:50 Looking fantastic! I have always loved the more natural outdoor locations explored in keen games and mods and this stuff really hits the spot! Really liking the creative sprite ideas, I always have a hard time coming up with unique and distinct looking creatures for mods but you've got it down pat Nisaba!

thanks for your kind words, guys.
helps a lot to boost my motivation. hope I find time and the right mood to continue the work on this mod... it's strange, the older you get the faster the days go by...

out of interest @K1n9_Duk3:
do you have the skill + interest to code the animation patterns for some of the creatures? (source-code mod!)
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

Nisaba wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 14:49out of interest @K1n9_Duk3:
do you have the skill + interest to code the animation patterns for some of the creatures? (source-code mod!)
Interest? Sure! Skill? Only one way to find out.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

K1n9_Duk3 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 21:19 Interest? Sure! Skill? Only one way to find out.
awesome!
sent you a pm.
Snortimer
Vortininja

Post by Snortimer »

I'm coming out of my multi-year lurking mode just to say that this looks really beautiful. :o

You have a real talent for artistic design and good balance. One of the best I've seen. All of those screenshots look so interesting.

I'm also going to go against the other quotes a little (sorry) and say that I prefer those pink tree leaves without an outline, as it looks really nice artistically, especially as there is already precedent for Keen 4 platforms with soft surfaces to not have an outline: http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/File:Mo ... ylands.png
I feel like the player would get used to it quickly enough...

Oh, also of all those screenshots, the blobby green trees in #6 look like they could use a bit of refinement (not quite sure what, possibly the shading... I'll try to show what I mean later today).

How much of this is done, and how much is still left to do? Gotta say that this is pretty inspiring...
Member since at least 1998 with... ah... some long absences. I was even a moderator at one point. I'll probably keep coming back here and there as long as this place still exists.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Snortimer wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 16:36
hey there Snortimer,
and welcome back!

thanks for your kind words and your feedback.

this mod is evolving beautifully thanks to all the wonderful Keeners around here. It' a real blessing that I can work with a lot of talented and inspiring people.

How much of this is done? Well the tileset is almost done (I'd say 90%), most Sprites are pixeled and come to life one at the time (animation is currently in progress), the soundtrack is nearly complete, 11 level designs are in the wings, waiting for the tileset to be available... and so on and so forth. if I had more spare time, things could have been... well, you know...

I look forward to hearing and seeing your tree refinement ideas ...
Snortimer
Vortininja

Post by Snortimer »

Thanks for the news. Please don't give up! So the patching is all done then? Just the remaining animations, tileset and level design left? How exactly have you sketched out the levels that you already have?

Regarding my idea for the trees, this sort of thing, maybe?

I tried to use the same type of shading gradations as in the Keen 5 title screen. I'm more happy with how the left side of the tree shading came out than the right side (been a long time since I did this, and it takes so long. Are there any pixel art-specific tools that make this sort of shading quicker to experiment with these days?).
Member since at least 1998 with... ah... some long absences. I was even a moderator at one point. I'll probably keep coming back here and there as long as this place still exists.
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

Snortimer wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:38 Are there any pixel art-specific tools that make this sort of shading quicker to experiment with these days?
There's mtPaint, which was developed with pixel art in mind, and has the ability to paint full dithered patterns with a single brush stroke.
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Between the two, I like the original the most because it's more simple looking and thus more keen-ish to me. The second one looks more over detailed and more Atroxian-Realm-ish.

Btw nice program.