Dort and Gik

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Dort and Gik

Post by szemi »

Hey, the Dort was planned for Keen 4, which goes through hazards, but it was replaced by the Slug.

Question: Did somebody realize that the Gik acts like the Dort? It goes through hazards (like the Dort was planned to do that), yellow (like the Dort), and Keen can ride it (as it was planned for the Dort). Because for me it's suspicious.
Yeah, piece of cake!
Plasma Captain
Vorticon Elite

Re: Dort and Gik

Post by Plasma Captain »

That's an interesting point. I always got the impression that the Dort wasn't lethal (like Bounders); maybe they recycled the concept and made it more interesting (e.g. dangerous) for K6. Could be...!
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

Help me learn: What's this about a Dort?
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

XkyRauh wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:52 Help me learn: What's this about a Dort?
This thread from a few years back will get you up to speed: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2154

Here's the first post, for convenience's sake:
Bubbatom wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:35 I was talking to Tom Hall on Facebook tonight and I asked him about the keen 4 demo tileset. He told me the most prominent outake of keen 4 were these passive cow-like creatures called 'Dorts' that cold take you across harmful surfaces. But later on in development they were replaced with poison.
And here's a stronger description. Seems the image is lost. On my very slow mobile so can't check the Wayback Machine.
VikingBoyBilly wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2015 22:33 Just talked to Tom about the dort on facebook. He said it was yellow, low-body, mix between a cow and a dacshund with a more dog-like head, and he quickly drew this:

Finally, some more detail on behaviour:
szemi wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2013 19:51 I talked to Tom to get further informations about the Dort and here we go:

These cow-like creatures act like a moving platform, which turns around at a wall, moreover these creatures temporarily die like the Arachnut.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
loop4ever
Grunt

Post by loop4ever »

And here's a stronger description. Seems the image is lost. On my very slow mobile so can't check the Wayback Machine.
was that an image of a Dort? It doesn't seem to be working on the Wayback Machine. I really wish I could see this creature. :begging
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

Woo, thanks! :) Very interesting, you're right, that the Gik largely took over that functionality.