The PCKF Archive

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Levack
Vortininja

Post by Levack »

Plasma Captain wrote:Wow, I haven't seen that in forever. Was that posted on a fansite at some point? Because I am almost certain that I never saw that old board.
Yes, here maybe? http://keenmodding.org/viewtopic.php?t=924
Plasma Captain
Vorticon Elite

Post by Plasma Captain »

Levack wrote:
Plasma Captain wrote:Wow, I haven't seen that in forever. Was that posted on a fansite at some point? Because I am almost certain that I never saw that old board.
Yes, here maybe? http://keenmodding.org/viewtopic.php?t=924
Following a couple links in from that, I found the place I was thinking of. It was included as the "cover" of a Keen comic.

At the Chasm of Chills.

Thanks for the lead.
Snortimer
Vortininja

Re: The PCKF Archive

Post by Snortimer »

Grandy02 wrote: Tue Jan 13, 2015 19:00 @Snortimer: Sorry, haven't read your post until now! Thanks, nice to read that you like it. Yeah, including the InsideTheWeb forums is a great idea! However, the download link in your topic doesn't work anymore. Could you reupload it somewhere, please? :)
My apologies for the late reply, here you go.
Grandy02 wrote: Tue Jan 13, 2015 19:00 Some of you may have noticed that the ezBoard PCKF is available again in the Wayback Machine since about half a year (links included on the PCKF Archive's main page). That it disappeared was the main reason for the archive's creation. But it's still useful, as WM's archived pages alone won't give you an easy-to-use navigation.
So I'll continue to add more interesting topics to the table and expand it bit by bit. But from now, I'll simply add links to the Wayback Machine rather than editing my saved ones, as it is much less time-consuming (first ones done today). And I'll be able to update it much more often, too.
What's the link for the Wayback PCKF archive, exactly? I'd be curious to see an archive of the period when I was a moderator (though I forget when it was, precisely...).

Also, isn't there special software for backing up websites, like WinHTTRack? Given the history, I'd much rather not rely solely on Wayback, it would be better to back up their backups before they disappear again...
Member since at least 1998 with... ah... some long absences. I was even a moderator at one point. I'll probably keep coming back here and there as long as this place still exists.
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

Ooooh more PCKF history. :drool
That's so fascinating to see. At what point did the Keen community become a single forum instead of a bunch of scattered boards?
That really looks like the Medieval ages for the community. There was a lot more toxicity way back then. We've really come a long way since. Even threads from like 2011 seem to be more rough than now.
Vorticon 1, on August 18 2000, wrote:wow the years have gone by since i created this board, its been 3 years
:lol
And now we have this board, which has been around for 12 years. (Er, is it being counted that way? I mean, I know we had that move 2 years ago and some stuff was changed, but it seems like technically the same place, with all the same threads and stuff, in contrast to the board before that which was kind of left behind.)

Snortimer wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 20:24 What's the link for the Wayback PCKF archive, exactly?
Well, there was this link*, but it doesn't seem to currently be working. :( I remember a couple years back when I was just lurking here I found that link and could access the archives, but one week I looked again and it was locked up. Or maybe I had figured out some special syntax to put into the URL to get it to work, and forgot how to do it....

*Retrieved from this old thread on the ancient still-online post-hack Ezboard/Yuku/Tapatalk PCKF:
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/publicc ... t1276.html
Speaking of, has anyone made backups of that place?
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

proYorp wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:00
Snortimer wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 20:24 What's the link for the Wayback PCKF archive, exactly?
Well, there was this link*, but it doesn't seem to currently be working. :( I remember a couple years back when I was just lurking here I found that link and could access the archives, but one week I looked again and it was locked up. Or maybe I had figured out some special syntax to put into the URL to get it to work, and forgot how to do it....
dunno if this helps: https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://pu ... .yuku.com/ respectively http://publiccommanderkeenforum.yuku.com/

It was probably around 2005 when I first discovered the Keen community, even though I wasn't an active member at the time. I also didn't remember my passwords very well and had to create new accounts from time to time. just reminiscing... how time flies.
out now (link) : Image
Snortimer
Vortininja

Post by Snortimer »

proYorp wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:00 That's so fascinating to see. At what point did the Keen community become a single forum instead of a bunch of scattered boards?
That really looks like the Medieval ages for the community. There was a lot more toxicity way back then.
Indeed, some of that stuff is pretty embarassing in retrospect ("Peter plays", anyone?).

I think there was usually one main board, sometimes with assorted less popular boards as well. I think that particular period in my link was when the biggest boards had to be abandoned for some reason (something to do with InsideTheWeb shutting down? Or was that after...), and people were making many little tiny boards until the community ("leaders" like Geoff and Thea, anyway) could decide on a new "main" place to move to.

EDIT, yep, on mb5517, from mbs5.htm in my zip file:
A MUST READ: Board to shut down, new Commander Keen board
Sunday, 25-Feb-01 16:24:27

212.125.166.162 writes:

Hi everyone,
I've been posting messages here about the new Commander Keen message board.

Now that InsideTheWeb will shut down on March 5th, everyone has to move to that new board.

I repeat, after March 5th you will no longer be able to use this message board.

NEW BOARD'S URL: http://publicckforum.cjb.net

Cho'gall

I definitely remember that part of it was that a user named Peter Heardgahna (later Neil McRae, you'll find his name on the wiki) was spamming everything up, and people were creating secret boards that he wouldn't find (and after he was banned, people email-bombed him, and he spent years sending members emails with almost-certainly made up stories of his bizarre life... I used to have a Keen fansite on Crosswinds in which I had collected all the emails he sent people).
Member since at least 1998 with... ah... some long absences. I was even a moderator at one point. I'll probably keep coming back here and there as long as this place still exists.
Grandy02
Vortininja

Post by Grandy02 »

Snortimer wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 20:24 My apologies for the late reply, here you go.
Thanks a lot, now the file can be downloaded from the PCKF Archive, too. :) One day I'll make those pages browsable. Ah, messages from 1999 to 2001... I didn't have Internet then and today's youngest Keeners were not even born. :old
By the way, here's another piece of history: KeenRush's very first post on 16 March 2002.
Snortimer wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 20:24What's the link for the Wayback PCKF archive, exactly? I'd be curious to see an archive of the period when I was a moderator (though I forget when it was, precisely...).
As stated by ProYorp, access to any ezboard page is blocked now. Funnily, you can see which pages they have (example, more than 11000 (!) files), but you can't view them. :dopekeen
Snortimer wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 20:24Also, isn't there special software for backing up websites, like WinHTTRack? Given the history, I'd much rather not rely solely on Wayback, it would be better to back up their backups before they disappear again...
Well, it's too late, I doubt the block will be lifted again. On archive.today, someone copied a single page of the PCKF from Wayback Machine when the subdomains of ezboard.com were not blocked.
proYorp wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:00 *Retrieved from this old thread on the ancient still-online post-hack Ezboard/Yuku/Tapatalk PCKF:
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/publicc ... t1276.html
That CC314 UBB was also mentioned in this 2003 history topic. Apparently it was at the Keen Council site, but I never had a chance to see it. Cho'gall also wrote that he still had backups of the old boards, just like in the 2005 thread. Too bad that he left the PCKF long ago.
PCKF Archive - The Keen Community's Past (and Present) | grandy02.shikadi.net
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Grandy02 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:03 That CC314 UBB was also mentioned in this 2003 history topic. Apparently it was at the Keen Council site, but I never had a chance to see it. Cho'gall also wrote that he still had backups of the old boards, just like in the 2005 thread. Too bad that he left the PCKF long ago.
Sorry to necro this thread, but legit only just reading the above reply now. (Still catching up on all the "new post" notifications I've accrued over the last year. Thanks anxiety.)

Would Cho'gall be all that difficult to get in touch with? Maybe through the CC314 website, which also has their actual name for easier contact?

I'm going to possibly partially answer that myself: I was reading up on Cho'gall and their contributions to the Keen community just now and saw this (now outdated) Keen Wiki article saying they "owned" this forum. If that means they were the domain owner up until the migration to the Fleex forum, they might indeed be very hard to contact. That DNS change was... slow. But it happened!
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
proYorp
Vorticon Elite

Post by proYorp »

Keening_Product wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 18:06 I was reading up on Cho'gall and their contributions to the Keen community just now and saw this (now outdated) Keen Wiki article saying they "owned" this forum.
KeenWiki wrote: Cho'gall (Tore Stubhaug) is the current owner of the PCKF and Cerebral Cortex 314.

This page was last modified on 5 June 2007, at 15:49.
Looking at the oldest posts here, it looks like this forum was created around the 1st of November in 2007. This KeenWiki article is dated a few months before that, so I think it's safe to say that it's referring to the older Yuku/Tapatalk forum. (Which may not be the most positive sign towards contacting him, either....)
I believe it was VitaminZach who was in charge of the pckf.com domain until it was eventually switched over. (And of course adurdin was formerly hosting the servers.)
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Why did I not check the date? Also why did I forget it was VitaminZach who had the domain? I used to know that haha.

Thank you for pointing all of that that out!
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass